Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a Kia Sportage 1.7 diesel, 2017, the service intervals in the service record book shows 10.000 miles between services, the threads on here say 20.000, see picture, any help would be good.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
any help would be good.
Welcome to the forum, 'Rk05'.

I'm sure one of the Sportage owners will be along soon to give you chapter and verse in regard to your particular model but in the meantime, it would help if you were to state the mileage and previous service history as this is very important.

Although I own a different KIA model, I can tell you that the Optima requires a service at 12 monthly intervals unless mileage (over 10,000) dictates that the service should be performed sooner, ie, when it reaches 10,000 miles. If the mileage is less than 10,000 after 12 months, then the oil will not be changed as part of that service but will be at the next 12 monthly service.

The early months rather determine whether the schedule (always 12 monthly unless, as above, required sooner) will be 10,000 mile oil change service intervals or 20,000 miles. The oil is perfectly capable of providing good lubrication for 20,000 miles so you need have no worries on that score.

Whether the above is the same for the Sportage, I can't say but others more knowledgeable than me will provide the answer.

I hope you are enjoying the features of the very popular Sportage.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Speaking to an ex kia garage owner over Xmas, I was told both hyundai and kia are returning to max 10k/12mths for all models. Not sure how true it is but I was lead to believe that some higher mileage models from both marques were being returned for replacement engines. I was told the longer interval has been causing issues with turbos failing and cost wise its cheaper to replace engine after the damage.
As I say, not sure on the validity of the info but it would explain why your sporty shows 10k i/o the usual 20k.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Your image prompted me to look at my service book and the interval is 12 months or 20,000. It must be model specific as I have a 2017 KX-2 with the 2.0l diesel engine. And for the record it has been serviced based on the 12 months interval, as the car is nowhere near the 20,000 miles. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your image prompted me to look at my service book and the interval is 12 months or 20,000. It must be model specific as I have a 2017 KX-2 with the 2.0l diesel engine. And for the record it has been serviced based on the 12 months interval, as the car is nowhere near the 20,000 miles. :)
Welcome to the forum, 'Rk05'.

I'm sure one of the Sportage owners will be along soon to give you chapter and verse in regard to your particular model but in the meantime, it would help if you were to state the mileage and previous service history as this is very important.

Although I own a different KIA model, I can tell you that the Optima requires a service at 12 monthly intervals unless mileage (over 10,000) dictates that the service should be performed sooner, ie, when it reaches 10,000 miles. If the mileage is less than 10,000 after 12 months, then the oil will not be changed as part of that service but will be at the next 12 monthly service.

The early months rather determine whether the schedule (always 12 monthly unless, as above, required sooner) will be 10,000 mile oil change service intervals or 20,000 miles. The oil is perfectly capable of providing good lubrication for 20,000 miles so you need have no worries on that score.

Whether the above is the same for the Sportage, I can't say but others more knowledgeable than me will provide the answer.

I hope you are enjoying the features of the very popular Sportage.
Speaking to an ex kia garage owner over Xmas, I was told both hyundai and kia are returning to max 10k/12mths for all models. Not sure how true it is but I was lead to believe that some higher mileage models from both marques were being returned for replacement engines. I was told the longer interval has been causing issues with turbos failing and cost wise its cheaper to replace engine after the damage.
As I say, not sure on the validity of the info but it would explain why your sporty shows 10k i/o the usual 20k.
Hello
Thank you for that, I have just been to the kia dealership, they say its 12 months/10k miles and the book is correct!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I have just been to the kia dealership, they say its 12 months/10k miles and the book is correct!
There you have it then! If the owners' handbook for your particular car states 12 months/10,000 mile service intervals, that resolves the issue for you. Others, as you will have gathered, have handbooks that say otherwise. Mine clearly states 20,000 miles/12 months.

If push ever comes to shove, the handbook that accompanied the car from the factory will be the deciding factor should litigation be required to resolve a dispute.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Kia service Intervals
From Kia website.

Remember the service book is a generic one.
Well that throws a spanner in the works! According to the Kia service intervals document;
Sportage 2016 onwards - Diesel - 20,000 miles or 12 months
which is not what the original posters 10,000 mile or 12 months on a 1.7 Diesel is showing in it's handbook.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Well that throws a spanner in the works!
Possibly, but if KIA dealers are telling customers that the servicing schedule and interval are indeed different from that contained in the handbook that accompanied the car from the factory, then there is a patent case of misrepresentation either on the part of KIA, the company, or by the KIA dealership arguing that the schedule in the owners' handbook is incorrect.

Neither of those parties would have a leg to stand on if the matter went to court and any claim that the supplied handbook is purely generic and should not be relied upon would be laughed out of court. It behoves the manufacturer to supply the end-user with the correct information to ensure that there can be no equivocation about compliance with the terms of the servicing schedule and warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you know the OP's reg no?
Obviously not! If you put any Sportage reg number in it always shows 10k and not 20k, I went on a dealers website and got some registration numbers for various models from 2016 onwards.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Obviously not! If you put any Sportage reg number in it always shows 10k and not 20k, I went on a dealers website and got some registration numbers for various models from 2016 onwards.
Interesting. I tried my registration and it did indead come up with 10,000 and yet my warranty book has 20,000. Clearly something has changed and owners have not been advised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting. I tried my registration and it did indead come up with 10,000 and yet my warranty book has 20,000. Clearly something has changed and owners have not been advised.
It certainly needs to be made clear, in the owners manual for a EU car it states 12 months/20k, why does some people's service books state 10k, including mine! Do some of us have the wrong service books I wonder? Why is the online service calculator showing 10k?

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
But note from the link I gave that some petrol are 10K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts