Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to purchase a 2018/2019 Sportage in the UK and will be going for petrol, either the 1.6 GDi (130bhp) or 1.6 T-GDi (174bhp).

My thoughts so far:
  • I fear the 1.6 won’t have enough power.
  • I don’t think there’s that much fuel economy difference between the two, correct me if I’m wrong.
  • There are plenty more 1.6 vehicles available and also cheaper, whereas the 1.6T being rarer limits my choice of dealer location, price, trim etc.
  • I want the extra power, but is it worth the extra faff and cost to get hold of a 1.6T?
  • Also, other than power, are there any other differences? (Breaks, suspension, etc.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
1.6 the power is adequate but its not a bmw x5 ! the mpg is in the thirtys depends how you drive it. the 1.6 turbo goes better mpg low thirtys goes down when you press the accelerator. You need to actually drive both the vehicles to help you decide.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
389 Posts
I got a 2019 Sportage 1.6 t-gdi 4 last September and put lpg on it. More economical than a diseasel and drives the same as a 'normal' t-gdi. My last 4 cars over 19 years were Santa Fés - all went on lpg with a total mileage of about 450,000 miles, unfortunately, they only do diseasel Santas now and I don't tow as much, so moved up to a Sportage AWD. I currently fill up at 57.7p/litre, so on a run at an indicated 38mpg, the £ equivalent is over 80 mpg, local stop start of about 28mpg is actually 60+mpg £ equivalent.
Only you can do the sums for YOUR driving habits though. Bear in mind the conversion cost of about £2350, but I keep my cars for about 5-6 years and average 13000 miles a year.
Not sure what you want to break, but the brakes are good as is the power and the 7 speed dct auto is very good. Just compare the specs to help you decide what you need to spend your wad on. Suspension, trim, 'stuff' makes a big difference to price, as does mileage.
If you want to spend cheap, get a cheapokakapoo boy racer thing, or spend wisely and get a Kia, best model you can afford. No-one other than you knows how you drive or what you need, but Kia takes some beating for value as far as I'm concerned.
Oh, I don't work for them or get anything for recommending their cars. I research before spending MY money, and then buy what suits me best.

Reactions: Taxcode

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
522 Posts
1.6T is thirsty but nippy (not exactly "quick" - but sufficient).
1.6 I have not driven but those that have describe it as "glacial"

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
389 Posts
8.8 secs 0-60 & 125 mph isn't exactly slow for a near 2 tonne '4' SUV, not that it gets that much boot on any type of regular basis....
There's much faster vehicles off the mark, but it's certainly quick with the 7 speed dct box.
Sensible driving of 38mpg isn't bad fuel consumption on a motorway run too.
As discussed elsewhere, if you want economy, get a small car, for towing, get a big 'un, for performance, get a performance car.
I've had several SUV type vehicles over the last 20 years or so and lots more in the years before that, but the Sportage I have now is well put together, performs very well and does what it says on the tin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
AlanH's experience matches mine - high 30s on a run (low 40s if you drive like Miss Daisy), low 30s pootling around town and mixed driving. Reasonably fast for the type of vehicle - it is massively more 'gutsy' than the 1.6 non-turbo version, but still retaining the smoothness and lack of tractor noises when stationary. Not sure that the non-turbo really drinks that much less, either.

There is no chance I would put up with the non-turbo engine to save literally a few quid a month on petrol. The rest of the car is the same, for a given spec - but I think only the turbos have AWD available (and possibly most have it), whereas none of the non-turbo ones do. Could be wrong though, they've been making these 6 years now and the specs change over time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The benefit I’ve seen with the 1.6T options, are most are on higher trim like GT-Line, and yes lots of them have AWD, which isn’t a requirement for me, but I’m happy if it’s already on the car! Depending on trim levels, I’m seeing around £2-3,000 difference on Autotrader for non turbo vs turbo so I want to make sure it’s worth the extra. I suppose as long as the turbo holds a little more value over the next few years then it’ll still work out well!

Thanks all for your replies so far :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a 1.6GDi (i.e. non turbo) manual on an 18 plate. Whilst not as nippy as the turbo version, I do not consider that it is ".glacial". I can easily keep up with traffic, boy racers excluded. I would say that the performance is on a par with 1.6/1.8 hatchbacks I have previously owned such as a Mondeo and a Vectra.
My average mpg to date has been 37mpg with up to 45mpg on a long run (on a mixture of motorways and non motorway rural roads); 40mpg on motorways at 70mph; and 34mph on urban roads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 1.6GDi (i.e. non turbo) manual on an 18 plate. Whilst not as nippy as the turbo version, I do not consider that it is ".glacial". I can easily keep up with traffic, boy racers excluded. I would say that the performance is on a par with 1.6/1.8 hatchbacks I have previously owned such as a Mondeo and a Vectra.
My average mpg to date has been 37mpg with up to 45mpg on a long run (on a mixture of motorways and non motorway rural roads); 40mpg on motorways at 70mph; and 34mph on urban roads.
That’s helpful thank you. I’ll arrange to test drive both variants. I currently have a small Suzuki Swift sport (1.6 naturally aspirated 134bhp). Which is incredibly nippy but it’s only 1 tonne vs the 1.6tonne Kia. I’m expecting the Kia to be slower, but I’m surprised at how much people slate the performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.