Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the subject implies, this is now a common subject of discussion.

There have been a number of incidents, concerning a failure that can cause severe damage to the electrical motor and engine and possibly more parts, due to some kind of defect which still seems to be under investigation from KIA. This is not only bad for the car but dangerous as well.
  • Because of the closing Posts mentioning these cases, I would like to create this one and try to keep it proper, so that it stays open.
  • Everyone with ACTUAL info and not any sort of speculation can and should write.
  • Comments and questions are acceptable. Just, don't mention any other type of subject by no means, please.
  • If possible, add km /miles and age of the car so that we keep a good record of which cars might have problems.
I am not a moderator but I would like this post to stay and be a good source of real and accurate information.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have just talked with KIA in Greece and they have confirmed there is an instruction stating I should go and check a "bolt". I will let you know when I have more news. I am taking my Sportage tomorrow for the check.

Mine has 12000 km and its 1-year-old.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
This post has been approved for now.
Just to remind everyone to keep to topic. Anything else will see action.

So if you want this to stay. Then keep it to car details and any action taken by dealers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok, as a lot of you have already guessed I work within the Kia dealership network. I cannot say anymore than that as we had a threatening letter sent to all dealers a while ago about leaking info on line.

The problem with the 1.6 mild hybrid is as follows...

The drive belt tensioner is seizing up and this appears to be causing damage to the crankshaft pulley key way.

One of two things then happen. If your lucky it will have put the EML on and giving a DCT relating to the Camshaft position sensor. At this point the engine will be removed, a new crankshaft fitted and pulley.

If you are unlucky then the timing will have altered enough to cause piston to valve impact, this will almost certainly wreck the engine.

The recall involves tightening the crankshaft pulley bolt to a different spec in the hope when the tensioner seizes it wont damage the woodruff key.

There is currently no modified tensioner available.

If your car starts to make a sequel as though the belt is slipping then immediately turn the engine off. Do NOT drive it, call out Kia assist and have it recovered to your nearest dealer.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
which engine are we talking about here..petrol or diesel?

·
Registered
2020 Sportage 1.6 CRDi '4' DCT Mild Hybrid
116 Posts
Ok, as a lot of you have already guessed I work within the Kia dealership network. I cannot say anymore than that as we had a threatening letter sent to all dealers a while ago about leaking info on line.

The drive belt tensioner is seizing up and this appears to be causing damage to the crankshaft pulley key way.

One of two things then happen. If your lucky it will have put the EML on and giving a DCT relating to the Camshaft position sensor. At this point the engine will be removed, a new crankshaft fitted and pulley.

If you are unlucky then the timing will have altered enough to cause piston to valve impact, this will almost certainly wreck the engine.

The recall involves tightening the crankshaft pulley bolt to a different spec in the hope when the tensioner seizes it wont damage the woodruff key.

If your car starts to make a sequel as though the belt is slipping then immediately turn the engine off. Do NOT drive it, call out Kia assist and have it recovered to your nearest dealer.
Thank you @kiamech for sticking your neck out and giving us all a frank and honest assessment of this particular issue regarding the 1.6 CRDi 48v Mild Hybrid of which some already knew of and some were more or less in denial or otherwise.
Just as a matter of precaution all the threads regarding this engine discussion have been copied to saved file just in case this or some mysteriously disappears.

Editing out part of this post as is just a dig at Kia, who have acknowledged the issue by the recall.
As I said this need to be on topic with just details. No speculation.
For the time being I would say the ball is firmly in Kia's court and they need to be given the right to reply on this issue. If anyone is concerned I would suggest a shortish period and then you may try and email Paul Philpott the CEO of Kia UK, [email protected] and ask for a statement and Kia's intentions regarding a rectification. If your engine does destruct to what you consider is beyond economical repair then may be legal help is needed.
I do hope no of us have any trouble and it is a batch problem rather than the whole production of the Mild Hybrid. Time will tell.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 69 plate started sqealing and grinding last week while on holiday, EML came on. Called RAC and they took it back to my dealer on low loader. Given hire car and I am now back home and going into the dealer this afternoon to see what is happening with the car. Also dropping off hire car and they are giving me one of there own sportages as Kia will not pay for an additional driver on the hire car and as it is used my both the wife and I this was a bit awkward. I suppose this is where the dealer can look after you or just let you struggle with a hire car, luckily I have a great dealership who always look after me. Will update this evening with state of play on my vehicle and hoping it’s the first on Kiamechs post

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was going to post something about 'how hard can it be to modify a tensioner'. Then I read the patent on it - just a teensy-tiny bit more complex than an old-school plain wheel on a spring-loaded arm...

Sounds like a bit of a bugger to sort out. Hopefully they'll be getting an updated part out before long. All car companies are going to be relying on this sort of tech to keep average CO2 emissions down across their fleets, so there could be some serious reputational damage from this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thankfully my post did not go in vain....

@kiamech , though obvious, not to the point I was 100% sure about you being a KIA mech (like the nickname implies...dah). Thank you for sharing this and as @GBGraham , said, for sticking your neck out. You just got one level up in my appreciation list.

I just got today mine, back from the Service (we call it like this in Greece). Indeed they regulated the crankshaft bolt (there is also an instruction for a check on a possible message on the 48V system but I had nothing). It seemed they were not aware of the reason behind (at least that's what they said). I informed them that I got the info from a forum and they really didn't act the way I thought they would. No sign of surprise on their face, no trying to burry the forum rumours or anything. Personally, this to my eyes was a very nice attitude.

I just hope I will not have the car ruined before the replacement part arrives.

I trust KIA will take it on its shoulders but I really don't like the idea of waiting for the car for months if it brakes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just back from dealers it looks like I have got away lightly new crankshaft pulley & belt etc. Photos sent to Kia awaiting authorisation from them, so I guess it will be a while till its fixed. In the meantime they have put me in a new GT Line sportage for the duration of the repair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just back from dealers it looks like I have got away lightly new crankshaft pulley & belt etc. Photos sent to Kia awaiting authorisation from them, so I guess it will be a while till its fixed. In the meantime they have put me in a new GT Line sportage for the duration of the repair.
Hello @cojo, thank you for the info. Could you please tell me if there were any signs of malfunction, some kind of sound or other types of worrying sounds or feeling that we could be aware of?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Car has been driving fine, then all of a sudden it made this noise I would describe as something heavy being dragged along the floor, wife described it as noise made when driving fast through a puddle. Other symptom as car made noise it felt like the brakes were being slammed on. Engine management light came on. Was only doing about 20 mph when it happened,was driving over the top of Yorkshire Dales.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Car has been driving fine, then all of a sudden it made this noise I would describe as something heavy being dragged along the floor, wife described it as noise made when driving fast through a puddle. Other symptom as car made noise it felt like the brakes were being slammed on. Engine management light came on. Was only doing about 20 mph when it happened,was driving over the top of Yorkshire Dales.
Creepy... Thank you very much for this description. It seems it was very sudden...

·
Registered
2020 Sportage 1.6 CRDi '4' DCT Mild Hybrid
116 Posts
I reckon you can call yourself fortunate, Max speed limit in the outside lane of a busy motorway and it could have been a completely different story. I take it that it was all done under warranty and you wasn't out of pocket with it all?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I reckon you can call yourself fortunate, Max speed limit in the outside lane of a busy motorway and it could have been a completely different story. I take it that it was all done under warranty and you wasn't out of pocket with it all?
Yes all being done under warranty, kia assist paid for taxi back to where we were staying and europcar delivered a hire car that evening again cost covered. On return home our dealer has put us In one of there Sportage until ours is fixed as Kia assist will only cover cost of one driver and europcar wanted £9 a day for wife to drive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.