Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I created a new topic as it's very specific to the FE and winter tyres.
If this is not OK can Mr Moderator please move it?

I've been trying to locate 235/55/R18 winter tyres, national suppliers and usual internet sources, with no success.
However, a search of compatible wheel/tyre combinations on the internet shows 225/65s on a 17 inch wheel gives an overall diameter within 1% of the 18 inch wheel combination. Great! So I phone my local Kia dealer to ask how much for 17 inch alloys;(I think they are used on the Sportage KX2, which has the same engine, 2.0L CRDI, with the same torque, brakes etc as the FE).

He then tells me there is an email from Head Office saying that on no account should wheel sizes be changed, either 'blinging' up, or sizing down, because of the different torque/speed characteristics between models, different speedo take offs (and its effect on the engine management inputs etc etc.) I can see the issues if someone tries to put 18in wheels on a 1.7GDI powered model, or tries to put 15inch wheels on a FE.

But a general ban doesn't seem right? A 1% difference is probably less than 6 months wear on a normal tyre set!

Please. can anyone with 'inside knowledge' shed any light on this.

Thanks Sparky

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sparky,

If the circumference is more or less that same as you down-size the wheels and go for a higher profile tyre I really can't see a problem. I think if I was going for dedicated snow tyres I'd even look at 215s as I think a narrower tyre is better in snow.

Richard

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
What does it say in your manual about tyre sizes? On the sticker in my car it gives 3 different size combos.
I spoke to my main dealer about getting a set of spare steel wheels for my car and they couldn't work out a correct size since from the VIN, "the computer says you have 15" alloys". I told them the size I wanted as stated in the manual and on the sticker on the car and was told that I shouldn't believe them since they get shipped with the same info for lots of different types of car!

After this (and other problems) I don't trust a word main dealers say anymore...

·
Registered
114 Posts
We have a FE with factory 18" wheels but we have bought a set of kia 17" alloys with 225/60R17 snow tyres fitted.
When you stand the factory wheel next to the snow wheel there is hardly any difference in size, as long as you keep all 4 wheels the same then I can`t see a problem other than a slight mph and mileage error, but not enough to worry about.
The advantage of having a car that will go anywhere in deep snow and steep climbs is worth it

Edited by: kia$torm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi kia$torm,
Thanks for the info. I am fairly confident there won't be a problem, but I'm trying to find the reason for the Kia email and warning. I can't think of a technical reason not to do it, they may just be issuing a coverall instruction to avoid comebacks.
Sparky

·
Registered
887 Posts
The email does exist, and I think it's summed up nicely above
'they may just be issuing a coverall instruction to avoid comebacks.'

Dealer will tell you the official line from kia, then it's really up to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts