Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a kia sportage 65 plate that has done 60k miles.
I have been driving the car quite regularly and had not noticed any issues with the clutch. However without warning i set off and the car jumped forward and stalled. After this i had to be towed to my kia garage and they said it was the clutch without even checking. This is fine but i have had to pay £1400 for clutch and flywheel replacement upfront as the parts are on back order. Is there any way i would be able to know if this is due to wear and tear and payable. If it is not wear and tear then the kia warranty covers this.
Also i am a careful driver and never ride the clutch if possible and i was thinking that 60k miles seems quite low for wear and tear. The way it went was like it collapsed.

Full kia service history

I would like to add that the cars gearbox has been out 2 times in the last 2 months to get the synchromesh replaced twice. I do not know if this would have any bearing on the clutch collapsing.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated and if i have left out any details that are needed i will add.

·
Registered
2020 Niro "2" HEV
132 Posts
The fact that the box has been out TWICE recently to replace synchromesh cones rings alarm bells. Sudden failure like you describe is certainly unusual with a clutch, more indicative of a catastrophic failure of the actuation method or release bearing or the fingers of the cover assembly. If I were you, I would want to be present with a camera when the box was removed to photograph or video the whole procedure. While the box was out any "normal" mechanic would look at (visually) the clutch and the release bearing assembly and report back to the office. IF the clutch or release bearing was showing catastrophic signs of wear that SHOULD have been reported to you while the box was out so that you had the opportunity to authorise the repair (cost of parts) while the box was out. (CAPITALS used for emphasis). Don't let them fob you off, if you are a member of the AA or RAC their technical department my be able to assist.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fact that the box has been out TWICE recently to replace synchromesh cones rings alarm bells. Sudden failure like you describe is certainly unusual with a clutch, more indicative of a catastrophic failure of the actuation method or release bearing or the fingers of the cover assembly. If I were you, I would want to be present with a camera when the box was removed to photograph or video the whole procedure. While the box was out any "normal" mechanic would look at (visually) the clutch and the release bearing assembly and report back to the office. IF the clutch or release bearing was showing catastrophic signs of wear that SHOULD have been reported to you while the box was out so that you had the opportunity to authorise the repair (cost of parts) while the box was out. (CAPITALS used for emphasis). Don't let them fob you off, if you are a member of the AA or RAC their technical department my be able to assist.
This is exactly what I was thinking but was not sure if I was able to have a look at the clutch myself when it was taken out. Also thank you for your thoughts on when they had the gearbox out. I agree that when they had it out you would of thought they would look at something like this. I didn’t want to put words into peoples mouths so to speak so your reply was what I was really expecting. Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts