Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Has anyone towed a small caravan with the above Sportage. It’s says in the specs that it can tow 1400kg however is it going to struggle. I only want to get a 2 person caravan as it’s just me. Any advice would be lovely.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
We have a fair few Australian members, but I am not aware of any who have a Sportage. Unfortunately there is a difference in specification between the Australian and UK Sportage. Which engine and gear box does your have? Is it diesel or petrol?

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
I've done some digging and realised your car is probably a 1.6 (130bhp) petrol (UK version is also rated a 1400kg). As long as you don't exceed the 1400kg it may be okay, but personally I would be looking to find a car more suited towing. But this is only my opinion. Maybe there are UK members who tow with the 1.6 (130bhp) Sportage?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've done some digging and realised your car is probably a 1.6 (130bhp) petrol (UK version is also rated a 1400kg). As long as you don't exceed the 1400kg it may be okay, but personally I would be looking to find a car more suited towing. But this is only my opinion. Maybe there are UK members who tow with the 1.6 (130bhp) Sportage?
We need to know the overall weight of the caravan really before we can give any accurate advice.
Here many small 2 berth vans weigh less than 1000kg so a 1.6 petrol should easily cope with them.
I tow a 1050kg Bailey with my Niro!

·
Registered
365 Posts
@Llanigraham I agree with your comments, but stand by my opinion, I would not be keen to tow with the 1.6 (130bhp) Sportage.
Even if the 'van only weighed 1000kg?

As I said I'm towing a Bailey Ranger that has a max weight of 1050kg with a 1.6 Niro HEV that has 110 bhp and I have had no problems at all, towing through Mid Wales, down to Cornwall, and elsewhere in the country. We are averaging 30mpg towing, which is better than friends who tow a similar caravan with their Mondeo petrol.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
I am basing my comments on what I have seen when we were in Australia. Australian caravans can not be compared to UK caravans. They are built to withstand use in the outback, they are seriously hefty bits of kit, although I will concede some of the Australian folders could be under the cars weight limit. I am also trying to take into account that Australia has nice weather, and by nice I mean hot compared to UK, this will have an effect on the cars performance when towing.
At the end of the day if you feel otherwise that is fine by me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts