Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

First time poster here. I have a Kia Sportage GT-line 16 plate. In September 2020 I updated my sat nav maps by purchasing a new SD card from a seller on the Kia Facebook group (in retrospect a very bad idea, but he had load of positive reviews and I was trying to avoid unnecessary trips due to Covid etc). The seller said it was the same software update used by the Kia garages.

A few weeks my head unit started acting erratically. Sometimes the screen was working like normal and sometimes it was just a black or fuzzy screen (incl no maps or rear camera) but I could still hear the radio and calls would come through. Pressing the tiny reset button helped a couple of times but that stopped working after a while. I took it to the Kia garage today and they said my SD card has corrupted the whole headset and it would cost £2600 to replace.

Does anytime have any experience of this and/or any thoughts? Would an SD card really corrupt the whole unit? I still have the original SD card, but I haven’t attempted to replace it yet. It is completely still hit & miss as to whether the screen will work - for example it worked on the way home from the garage! Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Agree with @iooi but I would suggest you take the SD card out first. To me I don't see how a corruption would require a complete head unit change, possibly a operating system rebuild.

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Good points above.

As well as back up old one to your computer. At least that way you can by a new SD card and have a working back up.

This is one reason why we do not allow links to 3rd party software, as well as it's a breach of intellectual rights.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
A really long shot, but try switching the fuse switch off and leave it off for ten minutes or so before you switch it back on. The fuse switch is in the fuse box, right side, below the headlight level, dash light dimmer switches. The media system will lose all the user setting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to follow up on this thread in case it helps anyone else. After going to 2 different Kia garages who both quoted us £2500 for a full entertainment system replacement (which we didn’t need as it was just the touch screen that was faulty), my husband found this company in Kent to replace the screen for £500. Everything working perfectly now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to follow up on this thread in case it helps anyone else. After going to 2 different Kia garages who both quoted us £2500 for a full entertainment system replacement (which we didn’t need as it was just the touch screen that was faulty), my husband found this company in Kent to replace the screen for £500. Everything working perfectly now. View attachment 10369
And the guy said that he had fixed 5 Kia’s with the same fault in recent months!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.