Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

just wondering if anybody can help me with a query I have? I’ve had my Kia in the garage and been told that the clutch is slipping and my Haldex 4 wheel drive system needs replaced. The cost for Haldex is £4500 alone I’ve been quoted so this is the question I have.

Can I replace the clutch and flywheel on the car and it will be okay to drive for the next two or three years without touching the Haldex as I can survive it not working or will the faulty unit cause damage to the replacement clutch and flywheel so it would be pointless?

Any help would be carefully received

thanks guys

craig

·
Registered
357 Posts
i would take it to another garage for a second opinion, is it the clutch or is it the haldex unit ? sounds like they want to replace everything !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
The 4x4 doesn’t work so it needs a new one, We took it in because two or three times a week we can feel the clutch slipping but once we knock it out of gear and put it back in gear it works fine again. This issue doesn’t happen on a daily basis and the car is doing 40 miles a day. Put it into the Kia garage to see what the issue was because I was thinking maybe the car is telling the Haldex system to kick in and that’s why it’s slipping out of gear because that is broken. Now the Kia garage just tell knows it’s £500 just to take the gearbox out to have a look at the issue without doing any work To look at the clutch system. I don’t mind paying for a new clutch system and flywheel but I need to know because we know the Halle Haldex system doesn’t work will this cause long-term damage.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I doubt that the Haldex will cause any damage because it is not working - let's face it most of the time none of them are working because there is no demand for RWD.. You could ask your dealer?

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
The dealers just seem to be there to rip my eye balls out tbh but I’ll try

Moved to sportage section as not a "how to" post.

Sadly any dealer will charge to find out what the issue is & main dealers tend to have higher labour charges.
I'm guessing the car is out of warranty anyway, so very little hope of cover there.

Are the tyres all around the same tread depth, or are some a lot more worn than the others?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front ones are new and rear are a little worn, yeah understand about dealerships but just thing £500 just to tell me what issue is on clutch is quite high.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I understand that this system doesn’t like worn on one axle and new on the other - they like all corners to be the same diameter.

Kia Bolton (the only garage owned by Kia) were very keen to rotate mine at every service and they all wore down absolutely identically before full replacement with new.

I can’t say that’s your issue / or it caused your issue, but it may be worth you doing some extra investigation etc.

Good luck.

WD:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very interesting, it’s booked in to get new clutch and fly wheel next week and I think I’ll invest in 2 back tyres as only replaced front ones a month ago so maybe if I go part worn maybe the thread may be the same

thank you

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Provided the fronts are better than the rears this will not cause false activation of the AWD. You have stated that anyway the AWD is not working and if you don't mind then it does not matter. Provided the rears are not very low then leave them on and save the expense.. Fronts wear faster than the rears anyway so they will equalise. Re-reading your post you state that the Haldex is not working but there are three ways it can be not working: 1) Not engaging 2) Not disengaging 3) partial engagement. If it is 1) then no issues.

WRT clutch - they will have to take it apart to diagnose and then put it back together again and that labour is by far the majority of the cost of a new clutch/flywheel.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Getting new clutch and flywheel for £800 and for Haldex it’s not engaging at all
I can count the number of times I have used AWD on my fingers. I have NEVER needed AWD so like you I would not be bothered.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
As Turnup above would not worry about the unit not engaging. I have owned 4WD vehicles for the last 27 years as I tow caravan on often wet grass campsites. Again I could count the number of times actuated on one hand, most times have been towing fellow motorhomers off wet ground
Just read post above. Have checks been made. 1 does prop shaft turn when turning front wheels. If so that eliminates the transfer box gears. 2 has voltage been applied to the unit to see if the clutch engages. If it does that rules out faulty unit. Therefore you need to check wiring for breaks or poor connections. This the only leaves the control box or the sensors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts