Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having problems idle high, cuts off when i slow down steering gets hard all dash warnings come on car switches off, diagnostics said cam sensor changed that same problem, need help please

·
Registered
375 Posts
Your symptoms are normally associated with a bad crank sensor rather than a bad cam sensor, they are two distinct sensors. Crank sensor monitors rpm of the crank while the cam sensor monitors the rpm of the overhead cam shaft. A going bad crank sensor will work intermittantly but you need to change it out for a new one for reliability & safety. Easy check for a good signal on startup is look at the rpm dial & see if its climbing....if it is then your signal is good but of course you may loose the signal while driving. It happened me on a busy French road. :-(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your symptoms are normally associated with a bad crank sensor rather than a bad cam sensor, they are two distinct sensors. Crank sensor monitors rpm of the crank while the cam sensor monitors the rpm of the overhead cam shaft. A going bad crank sensor will work intermittantly but you need to change it out for a new one for reliability & safety. Easy check for a good signal on startup is look at the rpm dial & see if its climbing....if it is then your signal is good but of course you may loose the signal while driving. It happened me on a busy French road. :-(
Why do i hear a metal sound before it stalls

·
Registered
375 Posts
Metal sound is not a known symptom of a bad crank sensor. Metal sound is a known symptom of a sticking EGR solenoid mounted on the EGR valve. 4 Allen head bolts allows you to remove the Solenoid for inspection. There is a pin in the middle of the solenoid that must move freely to open & close the EGR valve. This pin can get carbonised & stick resulting in a grinding noise when it tries to open/close. The crank sensor when going bad normally activates an engine malfunction light but a sticking EGR valve may not give you a malfunction light. If you genuinely have an EGR issue then you will have poor performance on startup & initial acceleration where the EGR system is premominently active. If the EGR valve sticks open car will only turnover but not start & if it sticks open when accelerating you will have immediate loss of power. Hope this helps diag your problem.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Why do i hear a metal sound before it stalls
A metallic sound could just be the engine/gearbox running at very low RPM - especially if still in gear and trying to move the car (engine and gearbox/transmission 'Backlash' can be sharp and loud).
Difficult to tell without hearing the noise and context.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts