Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ,has anyone replaced 1.7crdi d4fd from 2012 to a 2018 engine d4fd just looking to replace engine want to know if it's a option ,as I found a low mileage one. thanks

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Would probably need the 2018 ECU fitting as well as there is bound to have been running changes made over 6 year period.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Would probably need the 2018 ECU fitting as well as there is bound to have been running changes made over 6 year period.
And would the 2018 ECU plug into a 2012 and recognise all the sensors. You could well end up with a dash lighting up light a Baboons backside. that could mean a lot of work and expense. Perhaps as well to sell the 2012 and put the money towards a newer car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after weighing up the cost with customer, he asked me to rebuild it ,crank regrind rebore etc still cheaper than second hand engine replaced lots of different makes but these are silly money for second hand engine ,thanks for reply's

·
Registered
941 Posts
after weighing up the cost with customer, he asked me to rebuild it ,crank regrind rebore etc still cheaper than second hand engine replaced lots of different makes but these are silly money for second hand engine ,thanks for reply's
That does surprise me unless used Sportage engines are very expensive.

About 13 years ago I had a bit of a calamity at a track day. The oil pressure relief valve jammed and at full revs the extra pressure caused the oil filter O ring to move which allowed about 5 litres of Mocals best to land on the track, I was not popular. I have the kit and space to build engines but not do the machining plus cleaning large parts like a block in my parts washer is not possible. So there was some labour but most was my own at £0.00 per hour.

On stripping the engine it had pretty much wiped out all the big end shells and whilst in a better state the mains did show signs of getting hot. The bores/pistons were fine as were the cams and head. Regrinding the crank and a set of oversize bearings was about £180 but I could get a brand new crank from Ford complete with bearings for £160. Then I needed a new oil pump (belt and braces if there was a problem other than the relief valve), a cam belt set and a full gasket set. Total was going to be in the region of £500. If I had simply taken the car to a garage and asked them to do the full job I expect it would have been close to £2000 fitted.

Then I happened upon a supplier that was selling brand new engines in a crate direct form Ford. They had loads of stuff on I did not need such as inlet and exhaust manifolds, flywheel and clutch, injection system and the price was about £800 including VAT. Bought one immediately.

I sold the bits I did not need on ebay for about £300 and after it was fitted and running I sold the bits off the damaged engine for another £400 on ebay.

Net cost with brand new motor was £100 (plus my time fitting it etc).

I simply cannot see how a rebuild can be cheaper, must be some Sportage engines available at reasonable money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts