Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several problems with my Kia Sportage 1.6 Crdi Eco dynamics, (Mild Hybrid), Around 8 weeks ago, The Camshaft went on the vehicle, 11000miles on the clock from new, A 2020 69 plate,
The Dealer in my local area, has advised this morning, that they are no longer accepting any more Sportages with this massive problem, 29 vehicles are now on site at the service department, all waiting for basically engine rebuilds, with no Guarantee that this latest fix, will sort the problems out, Kia Motors no this is a Big Problem with this mild hybrid Diesel engine,
With the seriousness of this news today, then I have reluctantly decided that as soon as the car is eventually repaired, then it is time to get rid of this vehicle, The service receptionist did not sound very confident that this latest camshaft modification would fix this serious issue, Surely a replacement engine would have been more cost effective, than an engine rebuild,

Super Moderator
Given that Kia are now building Gen 5 Sportages. It could be that they no longer build the engine that is in the Gen 4 troublesome car.

Or at least I would hope that the Gen 5 MHEV is using a new improved engine & not the one that has a big problem.

Registered
For what is Kia's biggest selling range I feel their response to this situation has been abysmal and will have done long term harm to the brand.
I was looking to buy a Gen 5 Hybrid but that has been put on hold and yes I know the fault was on Gen 4.

Registered
Hi Guys
Just joined the forum ready for when I collect my 2018 Sportage on Sunday.
Came across this post and am now a little worried.
Can anyone please confirm that is only the CRDI 48V that is affected and not the CRDI 134

Thanks

Super Moderator
Hi Guys
Just joined the forum ready for when I collect my 2018 Sportage on Sunday.
Came across this post and am now a little worried.
Can anyone please confirm that is only the CRDI 48V that is affected and not the CRDI 134

Thanks
The issue is with the 1.6 CRDi 48V mild hybrid and shouldn't affect your car.

Registered
The issue is with the 1.6 CRDi 48V mild hybrid and shouldn't affect your car.
I had the same problem with the tensioner on my previous 2019 Sportage 1.6 crdi dct auto (non 48v,)
it was corrected on my last service due to a recall as a "precautionary measure" so the dealer told me, 4 months after the service recall i traded that vehicle in so can't advise further

Reactions: Captur59

Super Moderator
I had the same problem with the tensioner on my previous 2019 Sportage 1.6 crdi dct auto (non 48v,)
it was corrected on my last service due to a recall as a "precautionary measure" so the dealer told me, 4 months after the service recall i traded that vehicle in so can't advise further
I am surprised and I stand corrected, my understanding was it was a 48V issue.

Reactions: Westcountryman

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would any kind member on the forum know if a 21plate Sportage has the same problems as the 19 plates with the camshaft major issues, Just looking at a 21plate at the dealership I purchased mine from, Hoping to go down the route of being sold a vehicle not fit for purpose, it鈥檚 been in the garage 3times in the last 12months for the same fault, now the engine has blown with 11000 miles on the clock, Think the 21plate is the 48v Mild Hybrid, 馃憤

Registered
Now in a right dilemma as to whether to get the car or not.
It will have 3.5 years warranty left but I don't need the hassle if it fails and plan to keep the car for several more years after the warranty expires. Stand to lose 拢250 deposit but thats not the end of the world.
Thoughts please

Thanks

Registered
I am surprised and I stand corrected, my understanding was it was a 48V issue.
yes me too, after reading so much on here about the 48v sufferings i was surprised mine was likely to suffer the same fate, i am not sure how they picked mine out unless it was to do with a batch affecting certain engine numbers of which mine was part of, none the less the dealer assured me it would not suffer as a result of the recall.

Even more poignant, prior to buying the new 2022 Sportage we actually test drove a low mileage 21 plate GT Line 48v and on the test drive there was an enormous screech, the salesman told me to pull over and he rang back to the dealer and was advised to very gingerly drive the car back, which he done and we were later advised it has suffered the same fate and they would keep us informed how they were proceeding.....did they really think i would feel comfortable buying that vehicle? ..no, the next day we rang and cancelled that 21 plate and ordered a new 2022 GT Line, even though it was about 拢5k more it has given us the peace of mind i would have expected

Reactions: mr.macspot

Registered
O boy,now I'm thinking of taking a breakdown cover wich I never think of taking it or needing it for a 2 year old,not even for my 9 years old rio I didn't need such think.Now the Sportage is at 10.000 miles,hope's for the best without issues,same 1.6 CRDI GT LINE S Mild Hybrid.

Registered
I,m not sure how you can actually check if a particular vehicle has had the recall or if it has broken down and had the fault rectified or not,after all, as with me, I asked the salesman prior to going out on a test drive whether the vehicle had the modification or not,somewhere in the excitement of the test drive his answer got lost in my head,he said very loosely the vehicle will have full 7 year warranty cover as it is a kia owned vehicle,which at the time all sounded good until I sat at home and read through the forum and thought firstly, do I really want to be sat on the side of the road for hours getting frustrated and secondly getting recovered only to find I have no vehicle for a few months whilst the dealer waits for parts, I did while visiting the dealer notice a Sportage sat in their yard out the back so I asked a guy why was it sat there,thinking it had been in a front end smash,he told me it's been there a couple months now cos they can't get parts from Kia so it's waiting on a new engine or which ever comes first,he wanted it moved as it's in the way of his workspace!! I wasn't happy with that prospect so opted to cancel the 21 plate 1.6 GT Line 48v and order a new one,which I did do, I don't think the salesman would have told me if it had been recalled, he was hopeful for a sale after all.

Registered
Just done a quick survey.
Rang 10 Kia Dealers and 9 say its a 48v mild hybrid issue only whilst 1 said it can effect either of the 1.6 diesel engines.
Spoke to Kia who acknowledged the issue and said its only the 48v mild hybrid that is affected.
Awaiting confirmation of this via an email which they agreed to send.

Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi MHEV GT-Line S DCT (2021)
When I enquired about the status of my 48v mild hybrid 21 plate all i could get was "Everything that needs to be done has been done"
I believe the recall is a red herring. There are numerous people on the forums that have had this happen twice, implying no fix.
The problem is allegedly the tensioner and pully, as far as i can find out neither has been updated or modified.
The only recall action i have info on is the increased tightening of the crankshaft nut, this stops the end of the crankshaft being stripped when the issue occurs, but does not prevent it. It may have saved some engines though from going from a screech to a bang.

Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi MHEV GT-Line S DCT (2021)
My Sportage had a software update recall just after I bought it at 6 months old. It鈥檚 now 11 months old and the stop start hasn鈥檛 worked since, the A just goes yellow. I am sure it worked before the update.
I have just realised that when the stop start works it restarts the engine via the motor generator which is connected to the engine via the belt, instead of using the normal starter motor, hence its so quiet.
Do you think this is a workaround by Kia to limit the chance of damage To the belt?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts