Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just looking for some advice. Our Sportage 4 (petrol 1.6) is almost 2 years old with only 6500 miles on the clock.
Our Motability vehicle is for our disabled son and we mainly complete short local journeys to appointments etc with him.
While driving over the last few weeks, we noticed the car has had a judder and yesterday the exhaust particulate filter yellow dashboard light has come on.
Contacted the dealer and while they are going to look at it, I felt the service department were quite dismissive “oh, do you do mainly short journeys? The car needs to be driven at a higher speed for 20-30 minutes and that should clear the issue. Can you not take it on the motorway?”
I don’t remember a conversation when ordering the vehicle that it was not suitable for shorter journey use and feeling a little annoyed about it.
Should I be?

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
Hi & welcome.

It is a very well know fact that any car with a exhaust particulate filter be that diesel or now on petrol, need a good run to be able to burn off the soot that they collect.
So it is not the dealer being dismissive. It is them stating the facts. As it will be covered in your handbook.
Sadly if dealers mentioned everything at time of sale, you would not remember it all anyway.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,291 Posts
There is a thread on the subject of Petrol Particulate Filters, with an excellent reply with an explanation of how they work and how to do a re-gen on them (See below).
As to the dealer, that's a difficult one. Most salesmen are good at telling you all the nice toys your intended purchase has, but they are not so hot at technicalities. I don't remember any salesman telling me about DPF's, or catalytic converters on any of my cars.
Ah the joys of the new petrol filters. People changed from diesel to petrol due to doing short journeys and clogging the DPF and now petrol cars are burdened with the same issue if you do low mileage!

If it is flashing it needs to go to a dealer to force a regen.

PPF/GPF's work different to a DPF too. A DPF gets burned off under power conditions (motorway driving). A PPF/GPF gets burned off under deceleration. The easiest way to clear this is to be in manual mode (if an auto) and where safe to do so rev up to 3/4k rpm and let it slow back down to 2k rpm and repeat. Normally through general driving this happens but if only doing sub 40mph local drives you are unlikely to be recreating this scenario.

It is also incredibly ironic that these are designed to reduce emissions and the way to clear them is to rev the nuts off them or go on unnecessary drives!

How does a GPF regenerate?

GPF regeneration can only be performed in “non power” conditions, meaning that regeneration is normally achieved under deceleration. Deceleration increases the amount of oxygen following through the engine and exhaust system. This in turn raises the temperature of the GPF to around 400c – 700c, igniting the soot contained within the filter.

In conditions where this is not possible, the vehicles engine management systems alters timing causing it to run lean. This “lean” burn increases oxygen and therefore GPF operating temperatures, allowing a regeneration to occur.

·
Registered
592 Posts
There's probably an expectation that most people will do at least one long enough journey for regen to kick in unnoticed. Dealers give the bare minimum info to make the sale.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts