Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about to order a new Soul Samba, I would prefer the diesel but can anyone confirm that the manual diesel does not have the dreaded dpf filter that is fitted to the auto.

·
Registered
328 Posts
DPF = Diesel particulate filter.

It performs a similar action to a cat on a petrol car.

Some people have had problems with these filters

I am not too sure which Kia cars actually have them

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A dpf is bad news, especially if your normal journey is commuting. I believe the diesel auto has one to lower emissions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the explanation.
I did a short test drive in both the diesel & petrol Soul today. Am ordering a white Soul 2 diesel manual tomorrow (after I've slept on it).

·
Registered
328 Posts
mpwox11, was the diesel alot better than the petrol ?

I have not seen any Soul's on the road yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
_popupControl();
I have had my Soul for 950 miles so for so good.
I'm looking for any one in the U.S. to chat with

about are car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
diddy1234 said:
mpwox11, was the diesel alot better than the petrol ?I have not seen any Soul's on the road yet.
On paper both are the same performance. I drove both back to back and both were brand new with only 20 miles on the clock. The petrol was ok, but there was no spark in it. It was bland. The drive felt a little numb. Then I drove the diesel which was noticeably different even before I got into 3rd gear. While it may not be any faster, there was a significant different feeling to the acceleration and the drive felt like you were more involved and alive.
I guess because a diesel has a short power burst, you feel it as you go up through the gears, whereas the petrol power range is wider and more gradual. They both might take 11 seconds to get to 60 mph, but it feels like the diesel is getting there slightly quicker or at least it feels a little more fun.
The diesel had good low down pull and you could pull out of roundabouts in 3rd gear, whereas the petrol wouldn't. I'm sure both would improve once the engines were run in. The diesel was noisier at tickover, but once you were on the move, there wasn't any difference at speed. At 70-80 mph, the diesel was at 2,500 rpm.
The diesel is £1,000 more and if you do 12,000 miles a year, it is going to take four years to pay back the difference. It's a hard call to decided if it is worth the extra. I think it is, but many wont and will be very happy with the petrol.
In reality, both are underpowered really.Edited by: mpwox11

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi
had my deisel burner a couple of months now no probs i find it easy to drive and nippy enough too easily around 50mpg and improving {2500k}

still no parcel shelf though

·
Registered
12 Posts
i got a samba diesel and a very loud tap tap sound under acceleration between 1500 and 2000 rpm is this normal for the soul diesel

·
Registered
662 Posts
DPF's are not an issue if you put the correct oil in the engine and get the dealer to do a regen when the car is serviced they are fitted to ceed, carens, sportage diesels

1 - 13 of 13 Posts