Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've just joined, I've got a 2014 Soul EV which I've had for 2 years now, and I love it.
But - I've always had a problem with the keys in that the batteries go in both of them very regularly, like every 4 months. My dealer charges £12 a time (each!) to replace the batteries, so my partner and I bit the bullet and got a pack of the right batteries and changed one of them ourselves.
Result? The Key now doesn't work at all (we checked that the battery was the right way up and all that)
Any suggestions? I'm thinking that the connections have gone in the chip circuit but how do I find out?
I'm off back to the dealer tomorrow morning for another £12 worth in the other key, don't want to risk messing up the other one!

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
My first thought is have you got the correct battery? Button batteries all look the same, so make sure it is the correct one. On mine it is a CR2032 and instructions on how to change it are in the manual. Also I never but cheap, get something decent like Duracells, I've never been disappointed with them. If you are still unsure Timpsons will do do battery change on your fob.
Having said all that if the battery is needing changing so frequently there is an other problem somewhere, mine last well over a year, although I do change them yearly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your dealer charging you £12 each to change a key battery is a bit steep in my opinion. A good dealer will do this foc or for the cost of the battery which is pennies. The goodwill that it generates is greater than taking the money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say does not work, just what do you mean.
Does it show any lights when pressing the buttons, or will it not open doors etc?
The car says key not detected and nothing happens - I can start the car by pressing the power button for 10 seconds as per the manual but it doesn't work remotely for anything - it's definitely a fault in the chip, not the battery. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning and hope they can sort it.

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
Did any small parts drop out? As the immobiliser chip is known to drop out of kia keys when taken apart.

But really does sound like battery wrong size or wrong way round. Easy to do with these type of battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just come back from the dealers (40 m round trip!) third visit and they can't find anything wrong!
Neither key would start the car to set out but by the time I got there they both worked perfectly!!!!
I'm beginning to think the whole thing is some awful conspiracy; either that or I've got a hidden case of Munchausen's syndrome by proxy.
I'm now recharging to set out for another longish journey - wish me luck! Over and out.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
278 Posts
Some long shots:
Possible cause of key going flat fast. The obvious: a stuck "on" switch or perhaps it being having buttons pressed too easily in a pocket or by other things in a bag?
This may not apply to your Soul. The keys on newer Souls also work in proximity to the vehicle, so you can press a door button and the fact that the car and key are able to be in radio contact mean the door unlocks. That means the car and key fob are doing a bit of radio chit chat, so I wonder if anyone can flatten their key by leaving it so close to the car that the key fob keeps transmitting regularly (or some other local radio interference causes the key to respond with a transmission). This seems a bit unlikely to me because I'd think that it would require a push of the switch on the car door to cause the car to make 1st contact and the key to only respond to a correct "shout" from the car. If there's any validity in something making the key "broadcast" more often, perhaps sticking it in a biscuit tin will isolate it from outside radio triggers. (If you do have keyless entry on the car, you can test if the tin works by taking the key in the tin to near the car and try opening the door - If you can't the tin is doing its job)
Not working at home but spookily working when you take it to a garage... maybe there is some form of radio transmission nearby at home which is interfering with the fob's attempt to communicate with the car. (The manual does mention possible RF interference preventing a key from working). It might be powerful and far away or weak and nearby. e.g. TV or radio mast in the distance or a local device like WiFi base station/repeater, cordless phone, cordless camera, cordless weather station.
You also said it wouldn't allow a normal start of the car inside the car. Do you have anything in the car which could be transmitting in any way? A WiFi hotspot device or a device which turns Blu-tooth to FM?
Many of all those things shouldn't be a problem, I'm just trying to trigger the thinking about possible causes of RF interference locally or perhaps even in the car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
This is quiet common when you have a flat battery the car cant see the key, usually pressing the start button with the key cures it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts