Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!

The problem has happened in the past. But today as i was just about to join the M1 my much loved 05 sorento lost all power & died, engine management light stayed on, after 5mins it started but happened again within 5mins.Managed to get my baby home very slowly & gutless.

Has this happened to anyone, got any hints or tips. Before the husband moans about the repair bill.

Kathy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bad news I'm afraid! I experienced exactly the same symptoms on my 05 sorento and afterseveral scary moments and much expense finally got to the bottom of the problembut only after the car had ran out of warranty. Kia dealers serviced the car throughout the recurrring problem butI only got to the truth once the warranty had passed and Kia will not now accept any responsibility. Your problem almost certainly stems from thefaulty manufacture of the fuel tank which has a coating which after a while begins to break down causing flakes to infiltrate the fuel system. Thisresults in a total shut downparticularly on kick down or acceleration, power stearing is lost-(whichwhen passing a line of lorriesuphill in the outside lane of the motorwayas I was isseriously unfunny).The system clean and replacement of the fuel filters extolled by Kia engineers (3 times for me!) provides a temporary fix only and the only solution to this potentially dangerous fault is to relace the fuel tank. I have complained to Kia with a detailed log of expense & visits to engineers and they have refused to reimburse me and have said nothing about the problem or the solution. I dare say it would be an expensive recall for them. Good luck. Trevor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your email about my sorento.

I really do know what to do.

My husbands friend put my baby on a computer and it came up with 3 faults, but couldn't say what they were(kia codes) can't find them.

kathy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Yep happened to us more than once. Had to have the Engine management unit reset by a local garage. Seemed to help for about a month but problem is back. Suspect that there is a fuel problem as the fault number description we have indicates bad fuel supply. One my to the garage tomorrow to get filters changed.

-T

·
Registered
887 Posts
P1188 indicates a fuel filter blockage, not uncommon if over 20k, as kia new service schedules state they need changing every 20 k

·
Registered
2 Posts
This turned out to be fuel pressure valve, which was the best part £250 parts and labour (not at a Kia Garage). Fuel filters were replace as well but when the old ones were cut open there was no blockage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
have had the same problems taken the filter out under the rear seat tank full of the coating from inside the tank going to have it all cleaned out or buy a new tank

·
Registered
93 Posts
Definatley change the fuel filter 1st and make sure it is a genuine kia part.

At least prove this before the KIA sales prevention departmen start guessing and extracting huge sums from your bank account.......

Good luck tho

·
Registered
3 Posts
At last i now no what the problem is , 3 fuel filters lots of head scratching by mechanics , Trevor thank you its exactly the same as yours, cutting out in fast lane when giving it a bit wellie is totally hair raising . So a new fuel tank or maybe i will just sell it and let someone else have the hassle >>>

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Hope it solves your problem Shirley. I would steam clean the tank on the inside to get all the flakes and crud out first before using the Kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Davy , all sorted, it had a ball of stuff in the bottom of tank , they didnt have to take the tank off as you can get in from the rear seats , took a few hours but it goes brilliant now . thanks for the advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts