Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I own a 2007 Sorento XE 4x4 automatic, just over 100k on clock, more than happy with it, but just lately I have noticed the transmission slipping when under pressure i.e. going up a hill or asking it to accelerate, is this a common problem with an older Kia, and could it be expensive to rectify? would be really grateful for any advice, guidance. First time i have owned an automatic so very much of a novice when it comes to how the transmission works and how easy it is to replace the clutch etc. Thanks in advnce

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
being an auto how do you know it is the transmission slipping and not the torque converter which is supposed to slip? up until it gets to the converter lockup state, what colour is the transmission fluid, this is usually the first place to start, just draining the box will not get you much of the old fluid out, doing it at home it is best to do it via the transmission cooler pipe at the front. while it is ticking over pumping out old fluid in to a container you have to put fluid in via the dip stick tube, you have to be quick, it pumps out at a decent rate but doing it this way you are sure to get a full change of fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for reply, I am a novice regarding automatics, hence my description of transmission slipping because I was comparing it to clutch slip on a manual, I've just checked the transmission oil and its definitely not pink, its more like a grey/clear colour, could changing the oil improve matters , thanks again

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
A certain amount of "slip" is normal in TC autoboxes but this could also be a symnptom of brake band wear. How much slip are you getting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replying, appears to be quite a lot, for example when pulling away from a roundabout and accelerating up an incline, feels like the vehicle is staying in 2nd gear instead of third,

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
"quite a lot" means somethnig differnt to you and to me and to everyone else. Does your car have a tachometer? Take readings at teh saame speed in same gear when driving on a flat road at constant speed, when accelerator lifted off on same road at same speed, and when accelerator pressed on same road at same speed,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts