Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Kia Sorento 2003 2.5 Turbo Diesel which has been well looked after and not off-roaded. The trailing arms on the rear axle have broken loose from the brackets (when just going along a straight road at a normal speed). We understand from other posts that this is a common problem and that people have been able to get repairs sorted by Kia dealers as a result of this being a recall matter. Am I correct in assuming this and would welcome further advice. Please get back if you have any experience of approaching Kia to get this repaired. Please note that the vehicle is out of warranty because it is a 2003 model.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
It has not been a re-call as such, but Kia dealers have been drilling drain holes in brackets to allow water to escape to prevent corrosion,as a goodwill gesture,FOC, to prevent this happening.Those found already suffering corrosion have been replaced.Advise contact your nearest Kia dealer.

Edited by: BIRDMAN

·
Registered
217 Posts
joem2835 said:
We have a Kia Sorento 2003 2.5 Turbo Diesel which has been well looked after and not off-roaded. The trailing arms on the rear axle have broken loose from the brackets (when just going along a straight road at a normal speed). We understand from other posts that this is a common problem and that people have been able to get repairs sorted by Kia dealers as a result of this being a recall matter. Am I correct in assuming this and would welcome further advice. Please get back if you have any experience of approaching Kia to get this repaired. Please note that the vehicle is out of warranty because it is a 2003 model.

Thanks
Plenty of help here
http://kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/10315/rear-axle-frame-read-important?page=1

I had mine (previous model 2008) drilled and re-coated but sounds like you should notify VOSA immediately, this sort of failure should instigate a proper recall, instead of the service campaign they already have in place, as already stated get it to your Kia dealer to record the failure, try and get photos before it leaves your possession for proof.
Good luck

Edited by: Kia boy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi joem2835

Please read the link that Kia boy has given you and associated threads. I have been running a Poll on this problem for some time now and I have posted more than once for owners who have bracket failures to notify VOSA and make a formal report because unless these matters are reported to VOSA it will never become a RECALL - we ALL need your help on this please.

Please post me on the other Forum if you need any guidance.
Thanks again for posting this matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for replying to this post. We will start by contacting our nearest Kia dealer to see what they say, but will also inform VOSA as well. I'll take photos as proof. If anyone has any further experience of this, please share your thoughts on here.

Thanks again

·
Registered
100 Posts
No problem - any problems or queries please just ask.

Just one thought:

Please when was your last MOT? It might be interesting to hear what VOSA have to say about the MOT because according to VOSA this should have been picked up and prevented - Heh Ho

·
Registered
8 Posts
Below you will find the problem I've had with my 58 Plate Sorento. Because of the way, Kia have treated me, I've blasted my story all over facebook (UK and worldwide). Have even emailed [email protected] (Jeremy Vine Radio 2) and [email protected] about this problem asking them to look into getting a proper safety recall from Kia/VOSA regarding this but to date have had no reply. Perhaps all other Sorento owners could do the same. The more people that complain - perhaps they will realise that there is a serious problem. Have even found that some Kia dealers abroad have not been told about the rear axle problems.

THIS IS A
WORLDWIDE PROBLEM ""“ NOT JUST IN THE <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> ""“ KIA SORENTO'S 2002-2008<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Kia / VOSA Safety
Recall Notification / Kia Non Recall

I recently
received a Safety Recall Notification Letter from Kia regarding the brake light
switch after I had returned back from being abroad for a few months. I
understand that the recall has come from VOSA.

I called
the phone number on the letter to get the local dealership number (which was a
Thursday afternoon). I rang this number and the receptionist put me through to
the service department. The service department never answered the call so I was
diverted back to the main switchboard. The receptionist took my number and said
that the service department would call me back.
On the Friday morning I had to travel <st1:metricconverter ProductID="250 miles">250
miles</st1:metricconverter> but no call came through from the service department. So as I still hadn't received a call back by
the Monday morning, I phoned the number on the letter again and explained that
I had not hear back from the service department and could I please have the number
of the dealership near where I was going to be staying for a few days so hat I
could get the work done there.

I booked my Sorento in with a Kia dealership to have the
work carried out. When I dropped the car
off at the dealership I was advised by the gentleman on the service desk that
my car could be subject to a secondary recall to do with the rear axle
brackets, to which I said ""I've never had notification from Kia about the rear
axle brackets""�. He told me that Kia were only advising customers when they
brought their vehicles in to be serviced that there could be a problem with
certain Sorento's having a problem with the brackets. Later that day, when I
picked my car up, I was told that my car fell into the category where the rear
axle brackets would need to be replaced due to the drainage holes being drilled
in the wrong place. So before, leaving the dealership, I booked my car in for
the two days they required to do the work.
Near the end of the day that I was due to collect my car, the dealership
phoned me to say that the brackets and rear axle were so corroded that the car
wouldn't be safe to drive and they had to apply to Kia to replace the rear axle
casing under warranty. The dealership
did not advise me how long it would take to get approval from Kia, but I
checked with Kia Customer Services who told it would take 24 hours to get
approval. See attached photographs.

While my car was in for the two days, I did some research on
the internet to find out more about this problem of the rear axle to find out:-

- Kia have not issued a product recall to do with the rear
axle as VOSA do not deem it necessary to do so.

- There are approximately 17,000 Sorento's which could be
affected by this problem in the <st1:country-region><st1:place>UK</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

- Some of the rear axles hadn't been rust proofed properly.

In the end my car was at the dealership for 11 days. As the
service manager at the dealership treated me like a dumb woman, my partner made
various calls to them and Kia Customer Care from France and ended up having a
very expensive and time consuming trip back to the UK to sort this problem out
which Kia blatantly refuse to offer any compensation. And then to add insult to
injury, I received the last letter which invited me to a woman's night!!! at
the dealership.

I have also seen two other Sorento owners, both who have not
received the Safety Recall Notification
letters regarding the brake light switch and of course they didn't know about
the rear axle bracket problems.

I've since spoken with a couple of mechanics to ask what
would have happened if one of the rear axle brackets had broken while I'd been
driving. Their replies were that the
rear axle would have become very unstable and there would be handling problems.
If I'd been travelling on a motorway and the bracket had gone, then I could
have/or caused and accident.

Surely in this day and age, safety is important to everyone
and I feel that as a matter of course, Kia should be forced to recall all
Sorento's which are in the years of 2002-2008 to check for the rear axle
problem and not wait for owners to take their Sorento to a dealership for a
service. There are a lot of people out there who do not use car manufacturer
dealers to have their cars serviced, so will therefore not know of the problems
with the rear axle. Also that Kia/Vosa should get their acts together and do a
proper recall on the Sorento's affected by this.

More information can be found at:

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/kia-sorento-1st-generation-rear-axle-bracket-rust-important

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/community/discussions/technical-and-advice/towcars/Kia-Sorento-Rear-Axle-Recall/rt/520485/

http://www.smartdata.plus.com/Bulletins/KCE12-31-P010-BL.pdf

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/recall-on-rear-subframe-corrosion_topic13285.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Joe hi.
If you read the various posts on this subject you will have a better idea, my partner Nuggett61 has posted the problems she had, and, in the end they fitted a complete new axle casing.

This is A SERIOUS PROBLEM, Bogwart has been on to VOSA, can you please do the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi again joem,
This is a FREE REPAIR DO NOT PAY A PENNY.

It does not matter if the car is out of warranty, it is a problem KIA know about. Let everyone know how you get on.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there, I have had my Sorento (05) in for repair to the rear axle brackets I had to wait for the parts to be ordered as the brackets needed to be replaced. I collected the vehicle on friday (It was in for two days)I have had it up on a ramp and can see no new parts,It just appears to have been sprayed with a black substance which the rust is already weeping through. Can anybody tell me what is supposed to be involved in this repair?

·
Registered
100 Posts
HiIf you take a look at the link which follows and in particular the information in the Guidance Notes for the Poll you should find everything you need to know and pictures etc.
From the sounds of it you need to consider taking your car back to have the protection work done properly - there is some history of the protection work not being done properly - if your Kia Dealer starts to get difficult then email some pics to Kia Customer Services and tell them all about it.

Link:http://kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/11187/contd-poll-extent-rear-corrosion

Hope this helps a bit - if you still have questions, please post me on the Thread I have given you the link to.
Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for that, I have already visited proboards and got the picture of what is involved in the repair.

Thanks Again. Cheers for now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<o:properties>
<o:Template>Normal</o:Template>
<o:Revision>0</o:Revision>
<o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime>
<o:pages>1</o:pages>
<o:Words>118</o:Words>
<o:Characters>675</o:Characters>
<o:Lines>5</o:Lines>
<o:paragraphs>1</o:paragraphs>
<o:CharactersWits>828</o:CharactersWits>
<o:Version>11.1539</o:Version>
</o:properties>
<o:OfficeSettings>
<o:AllowPNG/>
</o:OfficeSettings>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:DonotShowRevisions/>
<w:DonotPrintRevisions/>
<w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>
<w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>
<w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin/>
</w:Word>
<!-->

Hi Everyone

UPDATE: UK Gen 1 Kia Sorento 2002 - 2009/10, Rear Axle Trailing
Arm Bracket Corrosion Poll etc.

HEADLINES:

1. Kia UK have updated and re-issued the TSB 010 for the brackets. There are 2 TSB replacements both
numbered ""˜011'. 1 covers the
repair of the existing brackets and the other replacement of the brackets of
which there appear 2 different types.

2. Over 100 Sorento owners
have now reported in the Poll on the bracket action. But we still need more UK owners to help please by voting in
the Poll.

3. One owner has reported
that his brackets failed on the road and at least one of his shocks broke off
- Kia have paid for the repair.

The detail, pics, copies of new TSBs and all the other news can be found through this link:

http://kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/11187/contd-poll-extent-rear-corrosion

Edited by: bogwort47

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi......

I'm in the same boat as mine have both just snapped!! Despite vehicle being waxoyled and well looked after!!!!

Car now parked on industrial estate as it's too dangerous to drive!!

I'm not happy!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi billiex

So sorry to hear about your problem - I do hope it didn't cause an accident for you.

You have probably already thought of this but ring your Kia Main Dealer tell them what has happened and ask them to pick up your vehicle and fix it. They should do it all for FREE. If they give you hassle get on to Kia Customer Services - it would probably be just as well to let them know anyway.
Here is the email for Kia CS I feel it is better to have a written record:Enquiries - Kia Customer Care [email protected]
Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by: bogwort47

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bless you and thank you for your help xxx

I have also uploaded the pictures on here and have also posted on Facebook......

Comments about it resembling a very old car and ship wreck have been made!!!

Thank you for your help xxx

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Billiex

If you need any specific help please PM and I will do what I can.

Or post me on my home site here on the Thread:http://kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/11187/contd-poll-extent-rear-corrosion

This Thread should give all the info you need on this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help!!!!! I have just bought a kia sorento 2003 2.5crdi I have only owned the car for 5 days and notice a terrible squeak coming from the rear axle so I put it over the pit to take a look, I found that the Trailing arm rear axle brackets have completely detached. I really need advise on the best way to get this repaired (hopefully for free) any advise would be appreciated thanks.

I would like to add that this car passed an mot 1 week ago!!!!!

Please see attached images

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi kikiwaw

I recommend that you contact your nearest Kia Main Dealer armed with your VIN No. tell them what has happened and tell them you would like to make arrangements for the TSB on this problem to be implemented. If they ask you to drive it over tell them that the vehicle is not road worthy and will need to be picked up. If they get difficult then tell them that you will refer the matter to Kia Customer Services - if you have to do this then be sure to confirm what has been said by email so that there can be no 'confusion' in future.
OR you can take it back and demand your money back - contact Trading Standards first though to make sure you get their backing.

All the background and information on this problem can be found here:
<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" style="text-align: left; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-right-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-bottom-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-left-color: rgb204, 204, 204; : rgb255, 255, 255; width: 954px; table-layout: fixed; "><t><tr ="msgableRow" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253; height: 200px; min-height: 200px; "><td valign="top" ="msgLineDevider" style="border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-bottom-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-left-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; "><div ="msg" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; width: 805px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; ">http://kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/11187/contd-poll-extent-rear-corrosion
I recommend that you read it thoroughly so that Kia do not 'forget' about anything - that's if you haven't already done so.

</td></tr></t></table>Where you go from here depends on you.The MOT is clearly suspect - it may either be a genuine 'mistake' or a forgery. Which ever, VOSA ought to be notified and supplied with the pics. and a scanned image of the MOT or at least its Serial No.
You have not said whether you bought from a garage or privately - depending on the validity of the MOT and the circumstances the Police may need to be involved - so whatever you do be sure to talk to Trading Standards first so as not to muddy the water for the authorities.

Please post again if you have any further queries - preferably on my home site on the Thread I have given you the link to.

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 139 Posts