Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I really need abit of advice or help

I bought a 2017 Kia Sorento 2.2 manual back in March with 12k on the clock, I noticed a brief power loss on the drive back home but, like limp home mode but no lights on the dash. I thought it may be just it’s not been driven for a while. A day later we went into full lockdown so it wasn't driven again for a couple of weeks. Once we started driving it again, the intermittent power loss became apparent with happening every other day.

There seems to be three elements to the issue when it’s going to do it, 1) rough start up, juddering idle but then tick over returns to normal. 2) stuttering acceleration which causes the MPG to drop down to around 22mpg, 3) power loss, won’t go over 3000 revs and painfully crawls along, power can return in a couple of minutes or may not return until the engine is restarted.

I took it to a local Kia dealer (not who we bought the car from as they are a distance away) but they were completely unhelpful, had the car for half a day and advised they couldn't find a fault with it. They put it down to me been in the wrong gear and I “should look at the little arrows on the dash board telling me to gear up or down”, didn’t accept that, so they said it could be the clutch slipping and finally when I didn't accept that, they said I'm putting poor quality fuel in it and to change where I fill up.

I’m now sat with a very expensive car on my drive and Kia don’t seem to want to investigate the issue

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks
Si

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd try another dealer. I know it's a distance, but preferably the dealer you bought it from.

But charge the battery first, just in case - a low charge can make all sorts of things happen.

At a guess, it could be a fuel flow/fuel pressure issue - that might not log a fault code. A new fuel filter is pretty cheap as a first stop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you, the kia dealer I bought it from have been absolutely terrible. Won't return my calls and will no longer respond to emails, I actually asked for my money back in the first 30 day period and they just advised its not that simple, turns out my consumer rights it was that simple

Ive read it could be a fuel pump issue so hopefully they can monitor the pressure levels. It went sluggish today and the mpg dropped right down to 19mpg on a 3 mile route I do regularly and get 37mpg

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Your consumer rights last for 6 months - the selling dealer has two attempts to remedy it after which you are entitled to a refund.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help, over the weekend I've managed to get it into another local Kia dealer for them to take a look tomorrow. So I guess if they can't fix the fault I will go back to the original garage and request my money back again.

If they refuse again, will this then be a legal issue?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd suggest the first thing to do is get some video of it happening - if you end up taking legal action, you'll need some proof. And you can use it to show the dealer tomorrow what's happening.

I still recommend getting Kia customer services involved.

Do you have legal cover with your car insurance? They may be able to advise?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tigger, I've already managed to get a video of it doing it but I'll try and get more so I have more evidence. Yeah I agree about the customer service at Kia, I'm going to do that after I see what the craic is tomorrow I think.

Can I get your honest opinion, do you think I'm being unreasonable with the whole situation?

two weeks ago I gave the Dealer who I bought the car off a deadline, that I wanted them to contact me by Friday the 3rd with how they tend to remedy the fault otherwise I wanted it escalating to their branch principle. They called me questioning why I wanted to escalate it, so went through it all again over the phone and he said he'd call me back that afternoon. not heard a thing since....

Essentially if they'd have given me my money back on the 14th April when I asked, I would have bought a new car and all would have been sorted. But they miss informed me (in writing) and now the issue has dragged out another 4 months

·
Registered
558 Posts
You've paid for a car that works as it should. The law is very clear that the selling dealer is responsible for resolving the issue.

I love my Sorento, but like you was let down badly by the dealer I bought it from. Fortunately, I'm now with an excellent servicing dealer. And if I buy another Kia, I'll buy it from the place I have it serviced.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Write to the dealer which sold you the car. Explain your experience as dispassionately and as factually as you can. Remind them that you have been promised calls which did not happen. Ask them to respond in writing with their proposal for resolution. Copy KIA Customer Services.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the next kia dealer looked at the car today, they think it's the regen but not 100 percent sure. But charged me £65 pounds to force the regen through their computer, which doesn't come under the warranty.

So if that doesn't fix it, Ill be requesting a full refund and do what you say Turnup. Can't afford to keep chucking money at guesses

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Hi treasach

We're sorry to hear of the power loss issue and lack of support from your selling dealer.

Please PM us with the local dealer details, reg and confirming if you're the registered keeper if you'd like us to follow up with them about this regen.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit Discover Our Kia Range & Find A Local Dealer | Kia Motors UK
Follow https://twitter.com/KiaUK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Watch www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Customer Service opening hours:

Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 13:00
Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just want to give you an update, Kia customer services are involved and they've been really good so far trying to give the offending dealer a nudge.

I just want to say thank you for taking the time to help and advise me, my stress levels have been manic but your advice did help and gave me structure to move forward. So thank you both

If I do get the issue resolved, I will pop the outcome on here so future sorento owners can use this for reference

Si

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to drag an old thread up, but still no fix with this issue. Can I get your opinion on it, to me and to a non Kia Mechanic that I've consulted who experienced both faults, we think this could be he High Pressure Fuel Pump that is faulty,

1) After the car has Stop / Started at a junction, when driving it will surge at 2000rpm in first, second and third gear.
2) The car can sometimes drive really rough, spluttering / juddering on acceleration and when this happens the MPG drops very low
3) Car goes into limp mode when accelerating but no fault codes or dash lights

The dealer basically closed the case on the car and said no error code, no fault so there is nothing they can do and it's not a warranty issue. They did raise this with Kia Tech Team, and I asked for a break down what they checked whilst they had the car for a week and a half, but they refused to provide any information on what was checked

·
Registered
826 Posts
The dealer... said no error code, no fault so there is nothing they can do
...refused to provide any info
Thanks for updating this tread treasach.
Is yours diesel or petrol?
could well be a fuel pump. I have just had the electric in-tank petrol fuel pump on a non Kia car replaced, the symptoms were as you describe in the previous post. No fault codes. There were intermittent performance issues until it failed completely, no surging though. New pump has cured the problem, as far as I know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a diesel, reading posts from Australia and the US it seems identical to my issues, and when the non Kia mechanic had it that was his suggestion which seemed to match what i'd found.

The problem is getting worse which is a good thing, the issue I had was to get it to do it whilst Kia had it and sods law it wouldn't but now it's doing it every time I drive it, hopefully it will completely die and then they can't pull the "no fault" issue if it won't start!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, it turns out Lookers saying they couldn't find any faults with the car wasn't exactly true. It turns out they did in fact find debris in the fuel tank back in November.....

This gives me a starting point with the next dealer, but I'm going to take it back to the non Kia mechanic and get him to double check the debris to see if it's linked with the fuel tank lining issue, as I don't trust anything that Lookers have done with the car.

·
Registered
826 Posts
What does Kia UK, the folks who will eventually have to foot the bill for a repair under warranty, have to say about that.?
I would have thought it would be cheaper to fix it now while it is probably limited to the in-tank pump, and tank itself. Rather than wait untill the HP pump, injectors, and such are also damaged.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kia Cust Services have been pretty good and are trying to help to be fair, it seems the problem is the dealer who has been very quick to offload the vehicle and in my opinion, not carry out sufficient measures when they found the fault

My worry is as I didn't buy the vehicle from the dealer I'm going to take the car too next week, I'm going to get "the debris in the fuel tank isn't a warranty issue" even though the car was like that when I purchased it. But the car is definitely not going back to Lookers Stockport as they just make matters worse and the last time they gave me the car back, I could steer left whilst going around a right hand corner!!

How the hell has debris got into the fuel tank???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts