Kia Owners Club Forum banner

KIA SORENTO MK 3

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  paddywagon05 
#1 ·
Just come back from a 200 mile run in my KX2 which has now covered 2000 miles -- on the motorway in sixth gear i can hear a slight whistle on acceleration which disappears when i take the load off the engine, does'nt happen in any of the other gears. Anybody any ideas?

#2 ·
new hearing aid battery will cure that whistle sorry that not coverd by your warranty

if your whistle is arond 65mph on acceleration thats fine it just the turbo boosting reason you dont get it in any other gear is the variable veins are not allowed to boost that hard in other gears

#3 ·
I don't use batteries in my ear trumpet -- so we can put that one to bed ! The whistle comes in on small or large throttle openings, most noticeable in the 70 - 80mph area and as we say vanishes when you take your foot off the loud pedal -- so turbo you reckon? Any adjustment which can be dealer made do you think? Any one else with a Mk 3 notice this?
Thanks.

#4 ·
Update on the 'whistle' in 6th gear -- which is now quite pronounced, the car is going into the dealers shortly for a gearbox strip down -- as Kia say they have not come across this with a mk3 before, they want to know what's causing it -- SO DO I !

#5 ·
Update -- got the car back yesterday after nearly two weeks in the local dealership, new gearbox cables fitted, tested by dealer and everything now fine. Thanked the dealer got in the car drove home -- same whine / whistle in sixth gear. Turned round and returned to the dealer, took dealer employee out for a test drive , confirmed noise is present. Dealer sending report to Kia technical as to next step. Am keeping my cool so far - - - -

#8 ·
hi,

i had a whine in 4th. take your foot off and it went away. gearbox was stripped. found case hardenning crumbling on 4th and 6th gear, and bits embedded in an input shaft. kia wanted to replace the bits. could not give a delivery date for the shaft. found out from dealer kia had 3 new gearboxes in stock. argued with customer services, got nowhere. rang head office, explained to receptionist, said someone would ring back. after explaining everything to her, she discussed it with warranty dept. Following morning, new gearbox turned up at dealers, fitted by the afternoon, problem gone.

if they find the same thing with yours, INSIST on a new gearbox. all those little bits will still be floating around if they repair yours, so the same thing could happen again.

ray
Edited by: rayrickard

#10 ·
Well here is the final update i hope on my 'whistling' Sorento. Got the car back yesterday after 5 weeks in the local dealership (Hire car provided). They tested the Turbo, checked all the cable grommets for fit -- all ok. Finally Kia technical said drop the gearbox and test, great says i bearing in mind Ray's comments above. Out came the box, stripped down - no fault found ! Nothing visable anyway. Kia technical instructs the dealer to fit all new parts to sixth gear -- but leave everything else as is. STOP says i,we should be fitting a new box to eliminate the box altogether, also not good engineering practice to fit new bits to an already run in box etc etc. Customer service did not agree , went straight to the head of customer service as Ray did -- explained the problem -- she promised to look into it and come back to me. This she did - by mail, agreed with Kia technical that only the bits of sixth gear should be replaced. I jumped up and down and threw my toys out of the pram -- all to no avail. The new sixth gear was fitted, all that was needed to finish the job was the shims, -- where are the gearbox shims? Ah -- Korea says they haven't been made yet. After the dealer had discussions with Kia technical, the decision is made to fit a BRAND NEW BOX. This has been done and now all seems well. Not the best of starts with my KX2, let's hope the future is going to be trouble free.

#18 ·
wont be injection timeing because its a common rail engine suggest you change the fuel filter make sure you use a genuine item we have had thease brake up inside and then cause cavitation within the filter houseing and this can cause diesel knock also possible you have picked up some poor fuel some supermarket fuel can give same symtoms

#21 ·
Ok, here's an update, car went into dealers yesterday, changed fuel filter and carried out full diagnostic check -- no fault found. Went out with salesman in an auto version ( didn't have a manual available) i could not here diesel chatter, i wasn't driving so not really a good test. I'm going to try a manual version when i can find a demo, if no chatter then it will be an RAC inspection and report on my car. Perhaps it's me getting paranoid about the car -- it is a thrashy engine even dealer says so. Anybody else any comment on the Mk3 2.2 diesel? The gearbox is fine now -- one problem solved !

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.