Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought used Kia Sorento KX-3 2015 model 65 plate.
I have seen other 2015 KX-3 model that have been advertised with Apple Carplay and Android Auto.

To have Apple Carplay and Android Auto capability on my car, is it matter of taking the vehicle to Kia for software update or can individual update on their own?
And if it is Kia that need to update the software then does anyone know the cost, if there is one?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Hi & Welcome.

if they have advertised the car with it, have you checked to see if it is there? If not did the dealer not advise how to set it up?

I think you may find that it was from 2016 that the facility to have Android Auto & Apple Car Play was available

Couple of options. Either contact a Kia dealer or send Kia Customer services a message with your VIN and they will advise.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 65 plate KX3, purchased new in Jan 2016. As supplied, CarPlay wasn't incorporated but the software update came out later and works well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm surprised my late 16 ceed the last time I enquired wasn't able to be upgraded to include android auto etc. Must check in case this has now changed.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
I'm surprised my late 16 ceed the last time I enquired wasn't able to be upgraded to include android auto etc. Must check in case this has now changed.
Remember while it may be registered as a late 16. They can have been built long before the head units were updated. As it is a hardware issue that means you can not run AA or ACP rather than just needing a software update.

As per #4 send KCS a message with your VIN & they will be able to confirm if it is possible or not (y)

Reactions: DAF XF

·
Registered
189 Posts
Remember while it may be registered as a late 16. They can have been built long before the head units were updated. As it is a hardware issue that means you can not run AA or ACP rather than just needing a software update.

As per #4 send KCS a message with your VIN & they will be able to confirm if it is possible or not (y)
Yeah must be the case as they've just confirmed it isn't suitable for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all, I did contact Kia customer service giving my car VIN and registration number and they confirmed my Kia Sorento 2015 (65 Plate) does have the HW capability however requires FW update to have it enabled.
I have booked my car with local Kia dealer to have the FW upgrade, they quoted £25 + VAT for the upgrade and the procedure can take between 30min and 3 hours.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,692 Posts
The quote local dealer service team gave was £25 plus VAT.
Actually the current price should be £40 inc VAT, it went up last year when the 2020 update was launched (see below). However dealerships seem to be either charging the old price, not charging at all and in one case the dealer was quoting a much higher price. Current update is 2021, map reference starts EUR.13.

Hi all and thanks for your patience.

Kia UK are delighted to announce the release of the latest map and software updates for all factory fitted head units. All generations of head unit continue to require update installation at a dealer and all updates are available now.

A few points of interest:

• The RRP is £40 including VAT. This is to be retained by your dealer for their workshop time. The increase brings the procedure more in line with labour rates across the network as historically, the charge has been significantly less than the equivalent labour value.
  • Software updates will provide (when available) enhancements to items such as Bluetooth compatibility along with bug fixes.
  • Following the update, you may note both improvements and differences in the functionality and menu options. This year, significant changes have been made on later platforms - please be aware that once updated, it can't be reversed.
  • There are no retrospective updates for the Android Auto or Apple CarPlay apps above those models already made compatible in 2017.
  • We recommend you check your system info screen before and after the procedure to confirm the changes.
Want to know what your latest versions will be? Please see our table below. To avoid confusion, we're referencing by 2019 version numbers and not which model you're driving. This is because some longer running ranges can be fitted with any one of up to five generations of head unit. 'xx' is replaced by your model code.

View attachment 7381

1 - 13 of 13 Posts