Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I鈥檓 Grizzley from 馃彺鬆仹鬆仮鬆伔鬆伂鬆伋鬆伩 and I鈥檓 having an unusual problem with my Kia Sorento 2010 kx2 and wanting to see if anyone has any suggestions on what might be the problem.
Like others I have been reading about on this site, I鈥檝e been having the whirring sound at the back of the car so thought I would change the wheel bearing on the near side of the car, ( only because the hub was getting warm) The change went well and took 2.5 hours, then I took the car for a test drive and whirring sound was still there so I will order a wheel bearing for the other side and do that side too.
But after the test drive I decided to put the car over the pit and check the diff oil incase it is the diff making the noise because low on oil, this was not the case.
While I was under the car I lowered the spare wheel and wire brushed the back axel and area where the spare wheel sits. Having done that I went to start the car to drive it out of the workshop and now the car won鈥檛 start. It will turn over but won鈥檛 ignite to start.
I have never had a starting problem with this car , always fired up on a turn of a key but after lowering the spare wheel this issue has now arisen. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I have done or what the problem could be so I can get my car back on the road.
I disconnected the battery over night to see if that will reset it but to no avail.
Would appreciate any input please.
Grizzley

Registered
have you tried replacing the spare wheel?
Did you do anything else to the car while it was over the pit or while road testing prior to the pit stop?

perhaps you have inadvertently moved a cable and caused a short circuit, perhaps blown a fuse.

petrol or diesel? automatic?

Registered
The only wires anywhere near the spare are the rear fog and reverse sensors which are away from the wheel and behind the crash bar Even if these were disconnected it would not stop the car starting
As it is cranking but not firing suggests it is the coil around the ignition switch is not reading the chip in the key causing the immobiliser to stop the injectors firing. Check the wire contacts on the coil are clean and tight

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you do anything else to the car while it was over the pit or while road testing prior to the pit stop?

perhaps you have inadvertently moved a cable and caused a short circuit, perhaps blown a fuse.

Thanks JD for your reply, you鈥檙e right as it turns out I had short circuited something and blow a fuse, also found that the fuel pump had a loose connection.
All good, car now up and going again. 馃憤. Thanks again

Registered
As Birdman says, immobiliser coil....when you turn the key the 'immo' light on the dash should be on...when you crank the engine the light goes out....if it doesn't then there is no signal from the coil to allow starting.....also try the other key?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts