Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been on here reading for a while but just signed up to ask you learned people some advice please, I have a fueling problem on my sorento! I think its something like a sensor breaking down, it would miss slightly now an then, then be fine for a few days then would miss once or twice, then would be ok for a few days, then it started cutting out, I'd open the bonnet have a look for anything obvious, have a poke at some wires an it would start and be fine for a few days then it would cut out again! Now it won't run for more than a few seconds after I've pumped the fuel up with the pump on the diesel filter, I've checked the fuel pickup tank which was clear, changed the fuel filter twice, the sensor on the common rail and the sensor on the pump, but no difference, the only 1 left to change is the crankshaft position sensor, can someone please advise me on how to change it or pic's of how to get to it? Or any help for what it may be other then the crank sensor, sorry for the long post, been trying to fix it for a couple of weeks now! Just trying to get the details in! Thanks for the help in advance! Cheers Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can someone tell me how to get at and change the crankshaft position sensor please! Just been under the car and can't even see the connector let alone where the sensor is! Haha thanks Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picks up signal from flywheel not easiest place to get at.
Brilliant thank you BIRDMAN, I've been looking at taking the alternator belt off an bottom pulley to have a look behind the cover! Been at it for a few weeks now! Haha Was under the car for about an hour earlier looking all around the front of the engine with the sump guard off! Out an about a mo, will have a look in an hour to see if I can find it, then hopefully change it tomorrow, an fingers crossed it will fix the problem! Haha cheers Andy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brilliant thank you BIRDMAN, I've been looking at taking the alternator belt off an bottom pulley to have a look behind the cover! Been at it for a few weeks now! Haha Was under the car for about an hour earlier looking all around the front of the engine with the sump guard off! Out an about a mo, will have a look in an hour to see if I can find it, then hopefully change it tomorrow, an fingers crossed it will fix the problem! Haha cheers Andy.
Hi BIRDMAN, found and changed the crank sensor thank you, an it's still the same! Can pump up the diesel on the filter, turn the engine over an it will start rev cough then cut out! Have you any idea what it may be? The next step I can think of is changing the fuel pump! I think I've changed all the sensors I've read that could be the problem! I still believe/feel, it's something like a sensor breaking down, the symptoms don't feel mechanical but that's just my feeling! Any help or advice would be much appreciated! Thanks again

·
Registered
433 Posts
I was wondering why you were changing the crankshaft sensor. To me it sounds like a fuel leak. Because it will start when you pressurise the fuel system then stop makes me wonder whether there is an air leak or whether the high pressure pump is faulty.
Can you continuously pressurise the system whilst starting it? It may be an airlock that needs to be worked out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was wondering why you were changing the crankshaft sensor. To me it sounds like a fuel leak. Because it will start when you pressurise the fuel system then stop makes me wonder whether there is an air leak or whether the high pressure pump is faulty.
Can you continuously pressurise the system whilst starting it? It may be an airlock that needs to be worked out.
Hi, it started missing ever now an then as if it was a loose wire or something! Like a dodgy ht lead on a petrol! then would be fine for a few days then all of a sudden it cut out as if run out of fuel! It wouldn't start straight away, I'd open the bonnet an poke a few things thinking it was a bad connection on something, then it would start an be fine for a few days again, then would cut out again! No cough or splutter or lose of power, engine would just cut out, and being an automatic would have to stop as soon as possible not to hurt the gearbox! It feels like something electrical stopping the fuel for some reason, an it won't run for more than a couple of seconds now! I've bypassed the fuel pipes upto the filter and connected a Jerry can with clean diesel to the metal pipe coming from the pump on the engine! But was exactly the same! Haha its doing my head in now! Haha

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
If you are having trouble starting from cold and will not rev up the culpret has usually been found to be the EGR valve carboned up and stuck open or the valve seats corroded and not sealing. Even if the solenoid valve is operating the valve can be stuck open. You will get no fault codes with this. The other main fault is the tea strainer filter inside the cassette of the fuel tank blocked with grey tank lining due to delamination. Anther common problem is the fuel filter not sealing or a crack in the filter housing allowing air to be sucked in as all fuel is drawn from the fuel tank by the high pressure pump. These are three common faults with Sorentos I have come across over the 16 years of involvement with these motors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are having trouble starting from cold and will not rev up the culpret has usually been found to be the EGR valve carboned up and stuck open or the valve seats corroded and not sealing. Even if the solenoid valve is operating the valve can be stuck open. You will get no fault codes with this. The other main fault is the tea strainer filter inside the cassette of the fuel tank blocked with grey tank lining due to delamination. Anther common problem is the fuel filter not sealing or a crack in the filter housing allowing air to be sucked in as all fuel is drawn from the fuel tank by the high pressure pump. These are three common faults with Sorentos I have come across over the 16 years of involvement with these motors.
I've had the tank strainer out twice to check but all fine! Never had trouble starting from cold, an it would cut out when warm and would start an run fine after a while in the beginning, but ended up cutting out after a few seconds then! An hasn't run for more than a few seconds since, even when keeping the revs up just under the red line then just cuts out! Thanks Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And I've changed the fuel filter twice since I started having trouble, once in the beginning and it run ok for a few weeks, and since it wouldn't run for more than a few seconds! and changed it again just incase! So looks like I got to change the pump an hope for the best! Haha thanks for the help an advice BIRDMAN, I will have a look at the egr valve tomorrow when I get chance! Just in case! Haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bypassed the filter housing and fuel pipes by connecting the metal pipe coming off the pump to a fuel can, again it started an ran for a few seconds then cut out! Again thanks for your time! Andy.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Have the carpet up front passenger side and look for damp. ECU is situated under there and often damp gets inside it. If wet unplug it after disconnecting battery and dry connectors checking they are not corroded and gently warm ECU with an hair drier to get rid of any moisture don't get it to hot though.

Reactions: rcwood08

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgot to say it's a 2005 2.5 sorento crdi, thanks Andy!
My Kia needs your advice. Wont rev above 4k and smokes. New turbo fitted, air flow meter and injectors. Any advice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.