Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken my 2016 Kia Sportage to a Kia Garage to book it in for a service (4th year service) and was quoted £460.00 which seems incredibly excessive to me.

Do I HAVE to get the service done at a Kia Garage if I have the car on PCP and is that price about the norm?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am the owner of the car. I bought the car in Dec 2018 and had a free service by the sealer in January (3rd service) so this is the first service I have had to pay for.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Do I HAVE to get the service done at a Kia Garage if I have the car on PCP and is that price about the norm?
Have you considered using the KIA UK website to arrange a service? I have read that the prices are very reasonable although I have no personal experience.

Unless there is a stipulation in your PCP agreement to the contrary, you are free to have your KIA serviced anywhere you want. To ensure the vehicle remains warranty compliant, however, any independent VAT-registered garage would need to itemise every part used along with the exact specification of oils and fluids, all of which must be at a minimum, of equivalent quality to the OE supplied by KIA.

For what it’s worth, the price you have been quoted does seem to me to be a little on the high side although to be fair, it is a pretty comprehensive service.

·
Banned
666 Posts
As per other thread where this is mentioned, EU law is that you are NOT forced to use the main dealer for servicing.
I can't see how a PCP/lease agreement can overrule this law.
Kia and Hyundai really do take the mickey with their servicing costs, it's a pitfall of their extended warranties.
They know full well XX% of people will still have this 'must use main dealer to keep warranty' mentality.
They wanted £260 off me for the fourth service for my daughter's Picanto....a car worth £5000 at a push....so 5% of the value of the car for a service?
I told them that and got it for £190.00

·
Super Moderator
4,337 Posts
I am the owner of the car. I bought the car in Dec 2018 and had a free service by the sealer in January (3rd service) so this is the first service I have had to pay for.

Run it through there and see if you get any better offers.

As Indalo said to keep the warranty in place on any service related issue. Kia will ask for proof of any services and parts used for any service outside the kia network. As well as you might well lose the body work warranty unless you take it to a Kia dealer to have it checked. Note you will have to pay for this, so factor that into any saving going to a 3rd party dealer.

Just noticed. That you are actually very late for the 4th service. If the last was done in Jan 2019 then you may already have voided the warranty on the timing x miles or 12 months.
Unwritten rule seems to be 1k miles or 1 month.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Kia and Hyundai really do take the mickey with their servicing costs, it's a pitfall of their extended warranties.
I’m afraid I have to disagree with your statement there. On initial purchase of my Optima SW, I enquired about a prepaid five-service package and bought it from the supplying KIA dealer for what I considered then to be a very reasonable £609.00 in late 2016.

Ok, that represents three inspection services and only two major ones but I still believe it was a good price. I have read in these pages that others who pay as they go for services seem to achieve fantastic prices from KIA dealers in some parts of the country but around the Home Counties, all car servicing tends to be relatively expensive.

Prior to my KIA, I ran a Hyundai for almost five years on a pay-as-you-go basis and I found all the services reasonably priced. When I worked on cars for a living, I could turn a nice profit from German cars because main dealers for those marques charge ridiculous prices. Private owners of those alleged ‘premium’ brands like the status they perceive from ownership but really don’t like the bills from main dealers so are grateful for independents.

From what I can gather, these days, VFM pre-paid servicing seems to have all but disappeared as some manufacturers and dealers seem to have conspired and now offer servicing packages on a monthly-pay basis over varying terms. However, external influences are now affecting car sales and dealers are likely to face hard times ahead so we may see some serious bargains in the not-too-distant future, such as discount prices and free servicing for 2/3/4 years.:unsure:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
You said that it was on PCP and this means that the finance company owns it. Have I misunderstood?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
:rolleyes: ok, thanks for your helpful advice!

Trying to help here so not sure about the sarcasm.

If it's on PCP then the finance company owns it and unless there are specific terms in the contract you cannot do as you please to the car as this will affect it's future value. Voiding the warranty would probably count as affecting it's value so they have a legitimate in interest in that. Like I originally said only the owner can properly answer your question.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Getting it serviced outside a main dealer isn’t “doing as you please”, it’s allowed by law.
I’ve leased and PCP’d many cars, they look for the service record to be complete and that’s it.
None have queried me using independents, because they know they have no legal standing to do so.

·
Banned
666 Posts
I’m afraid I have to disagree with your statement there. On initial purchase of my Optima SW, I enquired about a prepaid five-service package and bought it from the supplying KIA dealer for what I considered then to be a very reasonable £609.00 in late 2016.

Ok, that represents three inspection services and only two major ones but I still believe it was a good price. I have read in these pages that others who pay as they go for services seem to achieve fantastic prices from KIA dealers in some parts of the country but around the Home Counties, all car servicing tends to be relatively expensive.

Prior to my KIA, I ran a Hyundai for almost five years on a pay-as-you-go basis and I found all the services reasonably priced. When I worked on cars for a living, I could turn a nice profit from German cars because main dealers for those marques charge ridiculous prices. Private owners of those alleged ‘premium’ brands like the status they perceive from ownership but really don’t like the bills from main dealers so are grateful for independents.

From what I can gather, these days, VFM pre-paid servicing seems to have all but disappeared as some manufacturers and dealers seem to have conspired and now offer servicing packages on a monthly-pay basis over varying terms. However, external influences are now affecting car sales and dealers are likely to face hard times ahead so we may see some serious bargains in the not-too-distant future, such as discount prices and free servicing for 2/3/4 years.:unsure:
It’s funny you mention German cars, as my last two company cars were an Alpina D3 and a 320ED.
Both had ‘flexible servicing’, where the car told you when it needed a service.
The 320ED needed one service in the 3 years I had it, and that service was £220.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Be care
As per other thread where this is mentioned, EU law is that you are NOT forced to use the main dealer for servicing.
I can't see how a PCP/lease agreement can overrule this law.
They know full well XX% of people will still have this 'must use main dealer to keep warranty' mentality.
They wanted £260 off me for the fourth service for my daughter's Picanto....a car worth £5000 at a push....so 5% of the value of the car for a service?
I told them that and got it for £190.00
Be aware that if you have it serviced any where else and then make a claim under warranty that Kia will pull out all of the stops to get out of any warranty work.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Be care

Be aware that if you have it serviced any where else and then make a claim under warranty that Kia will pull out all of the stops to get out of any warranty work.
Do you have proof of this?
If it’s just assumption or hearsay then please don’t post it as it just perpetuates they ‘fear’ that keeps main dealers charging over the odds.
I’ve had no warranty problems at all with other manufactures when using independents for servicing.
It’s illegal for them to do so, so if your Kia dealer is doing it, feel free to name and shame.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
It’s funny you mention German cars, as my last two company cars were an Alpina D3 and a 320ED.
Both had ‘flexible servicing’, where the car told you when it needed a service.
The 320ED needed one service in the 3 years I had it, and that service was £220.
What a strange turn in the conversation! I responded to your point,
'Kia and Hyundai really do take the mickey with their servicing costs, it's a pitfall of their extended warranties.’
by pointing out that five services from KIA-appointed dealers only cost me £609.00 for the Optima SW.

How can that be referred to as ’taking the mickey’?

You, in turn, rather change the subject to inform everyone of your previous company cars’ flexible servicing arrangements. You are comparing apples and pears! If you paid £220 for one service, are you suggesting that your car would only require one service every three years?

Here is the current BMW UK servicing arrangements and price:

Here is a BMW dealer illustrating flexible servicing:

I repeat that I paid £609.00 for five KIA services so how can you accuse KIA/Hyundai of ’taking the mickey’?

·
Banned
666 Posts
What a strange turn in the conversation! I responded to your point, by pointing out that five services from KIA-appointed dealers only cost me £609.00 for the Optima SW.

How can that be referred to as ’taking the mickey’?

You, in turn, rather change the subject to inform everyone of your previous company cars’ flexible servicing arrangements. You are comparing apples and pears! If you paid £220 for one service, are you suggesting that your car would only require one service every three years?

Here is the current BMW UK servicing arrangements and price:

View attachment 6422

Here is a BMW dealer illustrating flexible servicing:

I repeat that I paid £609.00 for five KIA services so how can you accuse KIA/Hyundai of ’taking the mickey’?
I'm not 'suggesting' my BMW only needed one service in three years. it absolutely did only need one service in three years.
Car was happy, dealer was happy.
And, yes, I do still think Kia servicing is expensive - especially when compared with the cars' purchase prices.
Paying for a service scheme means you're paying for something 1-3 years in advance....
It's a marvellous piece of business to convince people that's a good thing.

·
Banned
666 Posts
For the record, here's a DM tweet I had with Kia some weeks ago.
They confirm servicing outside main dealers is fine.
Kia service.png

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Kia servicing is expensive - especially when compared with the cars' purchase prices.
Paying for a service scheme means you're paying for something 1-3 years in advance....
It's a marvellous piece of business to convince people that's a good thing.
There are tens of thousands of happy Kia/Hyundai owners who would disagree with you about KIA’s servicing and maintenance charges and if a saving can be made over three or five years by pre-paying a service agreement in the knowledge that ownership will be of that length, why do you choose to pooh-pooh it? In doing so, you infer that buyers of such agreements are stupid.

That said, if you are as knowledgeable as you are critical, what are you doing with a KIA since you think so little of the ownership package? Surely you were smart enough work out ALL the ownership costs in advance of purchase?

Now, I’m sure it isn’t the case but if anyone thought from your comments that you were simply an internet troll, I certainly couldn’t blame them.

·
Banned
666 Posts
There are tens of thousands of happy Kia/Hyundai owners who would disagree with you about KIA’s servicing and maintenance charges and if a saving can be made over three or five years by pre-paying a service agreement in the knowledge that ownership will be of that length, why do you choose to pooh-pooh it? In doing so, you infer that buyers of such agreements are stupid.

That said, if you are as knowledgeable as you are critical, what are you doing with a KIA since you think so little of the ownership package? Surely you were smart enough work out ALL the ownership costs in advance of purchase?

Now, I’m sure it isn’t the case but if anyone thought from your comments that you were simply an internet troll, I certainly couldn’t blame them.
Expressing a differing option from yourself isn't trolling, I think Kia servicing is expensive.
They absolutely rely on the, unfortunately, still popular belief that servicing 'must' be done by main dealers and they do take advantage of that.
As do others.
And where is your proof that "tens of thousands" of owners are happy with the costs?
Just because they're not on here complaining about it doesn't automatically mean they're happy.
I'm also fully aware there's a cost saving in prepaying for the servicing, which convinces people to do it and they feel they've gained.
But they're still paying for something in advance....
Brilliant for Kia's cash flow.

However, we can agree to disagree on this and the important thing is it's been demonstrated you DO NOT have to use the main dealer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.