Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2006 Sedona 2.9 TS which I have owned for a couple of years. It has now done 23k. Just before it was 3years old I took it back to the Kia dealer I bought it from as it had developed a steering shudder when braking at speed. I know a bit about cars and thought the front discs needed replacing - the dealer said that he would skim them under warrenty - if they needed replacing I would have to pay. He skimmed them which cured the shudder but I noticed that the brakes appeared to be binding and when I looked at the front disc pads they were worn so I replaced them myself. I would have thought that the pads would have been replaced when the discs were skimmed - but hey. After replacing the pads all seemed ok - but recently I have noticed that the brakes are occasionally binding again. I have looked through this forum and someone has said this is a common problem - can anyone tell me how to cure it please - something to do with adjusting the brake vacumn connecting rod I believe - any help would be appreciated Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
hi im suprised they did grind the discs not usually what a dealerwould do its just replace with them ,check the calipers copper slip everything give it all a clean then see how that is .

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Yes got one of those machines that does it on the car - did say they would have to check if there was enough to grind some off- they did and then trued them up. The alternative was for them to replace the discs at my expense as they are not covered by warrenty.
Thanks for the reply - stripped the fornt brakes down yesterday morning (nice in the sunshine) - all looked ok apart from noticing that on the front offside,(which is the wheel that seemed to be worst affected)when I seperated the caliper Ifound that there was two small bright polished areas where the pads were obviously making contact with the top half of the caliper casting - I ground a bit off the edge of the pad where it was making contact and so far - a couple of short runs yesterday and today it seems to be ok. Wonder if when the pads get warm they are expanding, making contact with the caliper causing it to bind and preventing it from releasing when the brake pressure is off . Early days yet I'll see how it goes.

I would still like to know how to adjust the servo arm - on mine there seems to be very little free play in the brake pedal - I've got a CD manual for the older shape Sedona which looks like a similar setup but does not give enough detail how to do it - obviouly I need to remove the master cylinder but where do I go from there?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, Just to update you on this - I adjusted the servo pushrod a couple of days ago - easy to do - but as usual on Kias awkward to get at - impossible to measure the gap between the pushrod end and the master cylinder - so I measured the length of exposed thread on the pushrodusing a digital vernier and shortened it by 1 mm - put it all back together and hey presto its cured the problem - in fact its like driving a different vehicle, with fuel consumption improving no end and it handles much better all round. There is a slight more play on the brake pedal but nothing that would affect the MOT, etc.
I have obviously been driving around with the brakes binding - probably since I bought it 2+ years ago - but now they are running a lot cooler and at an even temperature all round.

This problem affects some of the first new shape Sedonas (2006) but a Kia mechanic has told me that they have had some up to 2008 with brakes binding and in need of this mod.

I have a copy of the Bulletin if anyone needs it and would be happy to help anyone with the same problem. ( I feel this may be responsible for a lot of members getting poor comsumption figures, without noticing the brakes dragging)

Thanks everyone for their hel - in particular Murphywiz - who made me aware of the Kia bulletin in the first place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have recently suffered from brakes etc overheating and some shuddering and originally thought it was a balance problem.

I am currently trying to resolve the problem (not covered by extended warranty of course. What is?).

My local dealer says I have a seized caliper on the front offside and suggests I need to replace the caliper, both discs and both pads and the helpful cost (to them) of £661.

This seems an over the top solution and I would be grateful for a copy of the bulletin referred to.

Any views on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, Sounds very much to me that the servo needs adjusting - this was subject to a bulletin circulated to all Kia dealers - advising that this modification should be carried out if any work is done to the braking system. Quite easy to do and we have some excellent results from one or two members that have done it including me!
Do not change any part of the braking system until you have done / had done the mod to the servo - although if you have been driving it with the brakes binding you will probably need new discs and pads anyhow because of the heat generated - if I can be of any further help get back to me.

Take a look at this earlier posting - it hasa bit more detail http://...kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic1783&KW=.html- if you do want a copy of the bulletin send me an email addressto send it to - its not brilliant a copy of a fax but enough detail to get the gist of the information.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by: alcutler

·
Registered
2 Posts
It always makes meangry how people view a dealer/garage trying to help them. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

"helpful cost to them" "not covered by extended warranty of course" Yes of course not, brakes are a serviceable item and as such are subject to adverse wear and tear and the customer has to pay for their motoring, it is not the extended warranty or the dealers responsibility

The days of 'Arfur Daly' have long since gone in franchise dealers. There is more compliance, more training and regulation than in almost any other retailing business, yet still you snipe at dealers.

This sort of blog only serves to alienate the dealers and reputable garages that try hard with people like you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are now two burning questions:
- I recently joined this web site to find out a little more about the problem and the initial responses were extremely helpful. In fact they led to my discovering that the garage inquestion and, it seems other Kia garages, had not carried out work recommended by the manufacturer following problems with the braking system. The approach to ask that the adjustment was carried out during work or servicing is, it seems in the minds of some, to be an effective 'quiet' recall. I would like to thank those members.
- The other burning question is the latest blog which is, of course, quite offensive and unnecessary. Replacement of pads are of course serviceable but if damage is caused to parts of the braking system other than by normal wear and tear the situation is rather more unclear. In this case by Kia's own admittance it would seem there was a manufacturing issue. The large dealer garages seem these days to resolve most issues by replacing rather than carrying out repairs and I was simply seeking an alternative solution only because the cost of rectifying the problems cause by one seized caliper at £661 seemed exceedingly high to me.

This sort of blog only serves to alienate customers who try hard to understand a little more about their problems and it is a sad reflection when someone feels this kind of response is justified.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the master said:
It always makes meangry how people view a dealer/garage trying to help them. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
"helpful cost to them" "not covered by extended warranty of course" Yes of course not, brakes are a serviceable item and as such are subject to adverse wear and tear and the customer has to pay for their motoring, it is not the extended warranty or the dealers responsibility<O:p></O:p>
The days of 'Arfur Daly' have long since gone in franchise dealers. There is more compliance, more training and regulation than in almost any other retailing business, yet still you snipe at dealers.<O:p></O:p>
This sort of blog only serves to alienate the dealers and reputable garages that try hard with people like you!<O:p></O:p>

Appreciate that brakes are a serviceable item - but if a Dealership fails to carry out a simple modification that has been circulated by Kia via a bulletin and then as a result of this mod not being carried outpart of the braking system needs replacement is it fair that the customer should have tofoot the bill? I don't think so.
I have said in previous posts that I am sure there are a lot of 'good' garages out there that will give an excellent service - but if you look throughprevious posts there are obviously a lot of crap ones out to make a quick buck.I have suggested in the past that members should name garages where they have received good service and likewise where they have not. This would help a lot of members unable to do thier own repairs to find a garage in their area that is recommended by other Kiaowners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In reply to both "wedgie" and "alcutler"

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />There are a lot of VERY GOOD garages out there, I agree, but for any franchised dealer to remain in a franchise they have to demonstrate consistently high standards of training and compliance, plus massive investment in tooling and technology. True there are many resources available to customers and dealers these days, not all of which are accurate and or fair. Technical bulletins designed for internal use within a franchise posted by individuals who should have known better would not be included in that category. It is obvious that these blogs are intended for use by everyone, so let's try and take a balanced and fair view, then people would not be offended by remarks which were posted because of inflammatory blogs on either side of an argument or a viewpoint. It is fair to say that from time to time, to err is only human. Last post from me on this matter, asI am sure reasonable people will/could sort this out with their dealer, regardless of who they are, or where they are. No doubt there is two sides to any situation!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
'Technical bulletins designed for internal use within a franchise posted by individuals who should have known better would not be included in that category'

Why should there be any secrecy over advisory technical bulletins issued by Kia. I'm sure they would prefer them to be kept within the Kia family and not disclosed to Kia owners for obvious reasons - but I joined this forum so that I could carry out my own repairs and tap into the large amount of knowledge of other members in order to do this. If I can help other members by sending them a copy of a bulletin then all the better, this prevents them replacing parts when not needed and sort out their particular problem with the minimum of hassle and expense.

Ideally every Technical Bulletin issued should be made available on these forums to help Kia owners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree entirely. Perhaps it is the manufacturer and franchised dealers who should know better rather than the customer. It is not that long ago since Toyota came out from behind the smokescreen. One cannot help but wonder the extent of problems which manufacturers and dealers refuse to acknowledge.

This is a users' forum and there is nothing illegal in sharing knowledge. However, withheld information may well fall foul of both criminal and civil law on serious issues.

Let's face it manufactueres and dealers are in the business for one reason and that is to maximise profitability. There will always be a delicate balance between profit and maintaining customer loyalty. The latter seems less important these days with banks, utility and insurance companies perhaps being the glaring examples.

Apparently silence is a virtue so perhaps much of what followed a saintly effort to provide some help was better left unsaid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi alcutler, would you please send me a copy of the internal memo re: brake mod. My 09 TS has just developed a brake judder at speed. I would like as much info as possible before i take it back to the franchise. Cheers. Lee

·
Registered
702 Posts
wedge said:
I agree entirely. Perhaps it is the manufacturer and franchised dealers who should know better rather than the customer. It is not that long ago since Toyota came out from behind the smokescreen. One cannot help but wonder the extent of problems which manufacturers and dealers refuse to acknowledge.

This is a users' forum and there is nothing illegal in sharing knowledge. However, withheld information may well fall foul of both criminal and civil law on serious issues.

Let's face it manufactueres and dealers are in the business for one reason and that is to maximise profitability. There will always be a delicate balance between profit and maintaining customer loyalty. The latter seems less important these days with banks, utility and insurance companies perhaps being the glaring examples.

Apparently silence is a virtue so perhaps much of what followed a saintly effort to provide some help was better left unsaid.
I agree with what you and Allan are saying, trying to get any kind of information from the 3 1/2 Kia dealers around me is like trying to pull teeth using a tow rope and an artic truck in the dark when its raining. The reason it's 3 1/2 half dealers is that one can't make up it's mind if it is or not a real Kia dealer ie we have not done any Sedona's etc here . Never have I met a car company that holds on to information as tighly as Kia dealers seems to do, although this may change now they are owned by Hyundai as they do seem a little more customer friendly when asked questions, although why Kia seem to be like this is anyones guess.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts