Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been told that my handbrake only works on the passenger side and the other side dosn't work at all. All the normal brakes are fine on the rolling road. Has any one got any ideas as to what the problem could be.
All help will be appreciated, I have a Kia Sedona 2003 L

·
Registered
702 Posts
clivenick said:
I have just been told that my handbrake only works on the passenger side and the other side dosn't work at all. All the normal brakes are fine on the rolling road. Has any one got any ideas as to what the problem could be.
All help will be appreciated, I have a Kia Sedona 2003 L
If you are handy with a spanner and can work things out then you can do this, the handbrake has a cable from the bottom of it that runs under the passenger side of the car to an horseshoe type bracket that allows the n/s and o/s cables to connect to the first cable. The near side cable to the rear wheelmhas a turn buckle on it allowing you to tighten that side up . First you need to check the rear Hbrake that is not locking up to see if it is sized and working properly. Then its a case of slackening off the near side cable using the turn buckle and the adjuster on the horse shoe bracket. when that is done and both wheels are free then you need to (by trial and error) adjust the o/side cable up until it locks the wheel with the handbrake on, then adjust the n/side cable until that wheel locks with the handbrake on and both sides are free and not binding when the handbrake is off. The handbrake on the Sedona is one of its weaknesses and is just a matter of time and trial and error to get it to work as it should. Although if yourss is an 03 model then chances ar the cables are the oringinal ones and at least one cable will need replacing. If you are not confident of being able to do this safely then take it to a garage to do it, it doesn't have to be a Kia dealer to do this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, i have looked and both the cables have been tightned to there max so, i presuming that they will both need replacing so i am thinking more money on the car to be spent.

Thanks very much for your input it is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
702 Posts
clivenick said:
Thanks for the reply, i have looked and both the cables have been tightned to there max so, i presuming that they will both need replacing so i am thinking more money on the car to be spent.

Thanks very much for your input it is very much appreciated.
The 2 rear cables together are being sold on EBay buy a seller from Bradford(I think) for around £89 they are good quality I had a couple off them earlier on this year

1 - 4 of 4 Posts