Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm a newbie that as just joined. A bit checky but I'm after a bit of advice.
I have a 2001 Mark I Kia Sedona 2.9TDi S diesel model that as done 105,000 miles.
I'm experiencing coolant lose through the expansion tank, which in turn causes the temperature gauge to rise to the hot level.
This problem is progressivly getting worse.
This history is that I had a new water pump fitted approximately 2 years ago (approx. 9,000 miles ago) when I had the timing belt replaced.
New radiator about a year ago. Originally noticed that the temperature gauge would rise from normal reading position (approx. 1/3 on the gauge), then suddenly shot up to 2/3rd reading and then drop back to normal. Daughter borrowed car and done a 200 mile run in it when the radiator give way. That was when the new radiator had to be fitted (12 months ago by qualified mechanic).
From that point car as been running great until about 6 weeks ago. Done a 60 mile run, most of it motorway, then went into normal town traffic when I notice the temperature gauge rise from normal to about 2/3rds. Parked up and noticed slight bubbling in expansion tank. Let the car cool down and done the return journey with no problems. Then 4 weeks ago, done a 150 mile motorway run. Temperature rose to the hot position. Pulled over and coolant in the expansion tank as bubbling hot with steam and hot water coming out the open release pipe on the expansion tank. Let the car cool down and, topped up coolant and got home OK (approx. 40 miles). Spoke to my nephew on phone, who is a qualified Luxus/Toyota mechanic, and his thoughts were that it's the head gasket gone. He explained that pressure may be coming from a compression chamber into the coolant system and blowing back through the expansion tank. Made enquiries at local Kia main dealer regarding cylinder head gasket parts, and the helpful parts guy suggested that I got a compressed air head cylinder test done. Main dealer did not offer this service, so ended up at a non-mainler garage who I was advised could do the test. I let myself get pulled over here, because I knew the proprietor of the garage. He said they had a look, removed the thermostat completely, done a 'lick test' and suggested he allowed me to put K-seal into the coolant system as a remedy. He did say that there is rusty particals in the coolant system and did say something was going on in the system, but could not state if it was the cylinder head gasket.
Done a 40 mile airport run last week, temperature gauge did not move from cold until journey end, then went up to the 1/3 mark. A week later on return from holiday, topped the coolant up with 2 litres of water and done the return 40 mile journey. Again, temperature guage did not move from cold until we got nearly home, where it rose to the 1/3 mark before suddenly moving up to the hot mark. Left car overnight and had to put another 2 litres of water to top up this morning. Used car this morning, only done a 5 mile run, checked the coolant and saw a steady stream of water flowing out of the expansion tank.
Whilst all these dramas have been going on, there is no evidence of oil and water contamination. The water looks clean apart from some very fine brown fibres both under the filler cap and what is in the expansion tank. Not sure if this is stuff from the K-seal or rust particles. Again, looking at the oil via the filler cap, there is no evidence of contamination. Also the engine still pulls like a train, with no apparent power loss or mis-fire.
Searched the web earlier and whilst looking at a Rover forum, a similar post was present and inlet manifold gasket was mentioned.
I know this post is a bit chapter and verse, but I'm wondering if anybody else as had a similar problem and been able to resolve. I want to have a go at fixing myself, because the car does not a great value to warrant putting into a main dealer for repair.
Many thanks for any forth coming advice.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Quite possibly a cracked cylinder head, not uncommon I'm afraid, what did the sniffer test show?
Also check your rear heater pipes, as they rust quicker than a ford.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you ever get a conclusion to this issue? I am loosing coolant, certainly not on your scale and gauge does not go above midway. Only reason was drawn to check was heater was always cold. When I filled with coolant mix, hey presto the heater blew warm air. The other possibility could be the pressure cap, but that would surely be captured by the expansion tank.

Are the rear heater pipes visible from top of engine?

May yet be able to save the truck.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Rear heater pipes are underneath, look to the drivers side of your sprare wheel, I've little doubt you'll find a coolant covered pair of rusty metal pipes!
You can bypass them, just undo the rubbers at the front and join them together.
Either that or your ptc heater has sprung a leak, this can be checked from above, it's mounted on bulkhead behind intercooler but a bit lower, silver block with 2 pipes a 3 wries to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I have been having similar problems for 18 months. Ok on short journeys but under load ( caravan / speed) loses fluid and has had 3 radiator bursts. Latest possible solution os radiator cap ??? expansion bottle sputing out water when revving the engine. Awaiting a new cap this week. No other usual cylinder head symptons ( had gas test). It remains a mystery - any ideas

Thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sedona diesels often crack a head and block test shows nothing, but when heads of and sent for testing it's scrap.
Don't get me started on the V6 petrol.............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have discovered a growing radiator leak, now as such cannot be driven. Have the radiator is a monumental job, or manageable. It looks very tight getting it past the top body frame.

Any tips Sir Murphwiz of Sedona?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Retro Pedro said:
Hi - I'm a newbie that as just joined. A bit checky but I'm after a bit of advice.
I have a 2001 Mark I Kia Sedona 2.9TDi S diesel model that as done 105,000 miles.
I'm experiencing coolant lose through the expansion tank, which in turn causes the temperature gauge to rise to the hot level.
This problem is progressivly getting worse.
This history is that I had a new water pump gasket fitted approximately 2 years ago (approx. 9,000 miles ago) when I had the timing belt replaced.
New radiator about a year ago. Originally noticed that the temperature gauge would rise from normal reading position (approx. 1/3 on the gauge), then suddenly shot up to 2/3rd reading and then drop back to normal. Daughter borrowed car and done a 200 mile run in it when the radiator give way. That was when the new radiator had to be fitted (12 months ago by qualified mechanic).
From that point car as been running great until about 6 weeks ago. Done a 60 mile run, most of it motorway, then went into normal town traffic when I notice the temperature gauge rise from normal to about 2/3rds. Parked up and noticed slight bubbling in expansion tank. Let the car cool down and done the return journey with no problems. Then 4 weeks ago, done a 150 mile motorway run. Temperature rose to the hot position. Pulled over and coolant in the expansion tank as bubbling hot with steam and hot water coming out the open release pipe on the expansion tank. Let the car cool down and, topped up coolant and got home OK (approx. 40 miles). Spoke to my nephew on phone, who is a qualified Luxus/Toyota mechanic, and his thoughts were that it's the head gasket gone. He explained that pressure may be coming from a compression chamber into the coolant system and blowing back through the expansion tank. Made enquiries at local Kia main dealer regarding cylinder head gasket parts, and the helpful parts guy suggested that I got a compressed air head cylinder test done. Main dealer did not offer this service, so ended up at a non-mainler garage who I was advised could do the test. I let myself get pulled over here, because I knew the proprietor of the garage. He said they had a look, removed the thermostat completely, done a 'lick test' and suggested he allowed me to put K-seal into the coolant system as a remedy. He did say that there is rusty particals in the coolant system and did say something was going on in the system, but could not state if it was the cylinder head gasket.
Done a 40 mile airport run last week, temperature gauge did not move from cold until journey end, then went up to the 1/3 mark. A week later on return from holiday, topped the coolant up with 2 litres of water and done the return 40 mile journey. Again, temperature guage did not move from cold until we got nearly home, where it rose to the 1/3 mark before suddenly moving up to the hot mark. Left car overnight and had to put another 2 litres of water to top up this morning. Used car this morning, only done a 5 mile run, checked the coolant and saw a steady stream of water flowing out of the expansion tank.
Whilst all these dramas have been going on, there is no evidence of oil and water contamination. The water looks clean apart from some very fine brown fibres both under the filler cap and what is in the expansion tank. Not sure if this is stuff from the K-seal or rust particles. Again, looking at the oil via the filler cap, there is no evidence of contamination. Also the engine still pulls like a train, with no apparent power loss or mis-fire.
Searched the web earlier and whilst looking at a Rover forum, a similar post was present and inlet manifold gasket was mentioned.
I know this post is a bit chapter and verse, but I'm wondering if anybody else as had a similar problem and been able to resolve. I want to have a go at fixing myself, because the car does not a great value to warrant putting into a main dealer for repair.
Many thanks for any forth coming advice.
wow you are very detailed on your problem well maybe its the water pump gasket or the water pump bearing you need to check it if they have cracked or something

·
Registered
3 Posts
having trouble with expanstion tank its full all the time and fan comes on when it is low put water in radiator and tank stays full could it be the top as its a odd looking blue cap have only had it 2 months dont know much about them if i keep level low its full up after short journey then fan comes on

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. Exactly the same thing history as my Kia. Mine was hair line crack in cylinder head after pressure test. So have contacted sedona gary,see prev forum post BLOWN ENGINE for mob and e mail.He had head at upto £300 cheaper than e bay and he has posted it directly to my mechanics work shop. Brill guy.
Steve Gx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts