Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the recent misfortune to experience handbrake failure on my 53 plate kia sedona. unfortunately I was at the rear of the vehicle and had opened the boot when the vehicle started moving, my child was also in the rear of the vehicle harnassed in.

The vehicle ran me over and crushed my leg underneath and to say the whole experience was horrific was an understatement. I have had issues with my handbrake on previous occasions whereby it has had to be put into garage for handbrake to be tightened but nothing as severe as this, my handrbake was fully on at the time.

I find it amazing that since googling handbrake failure on Kia's that this is most definitely a problem that can regularly arise not just in Sedona's but quite a few of their models.

My car is under accident investigators at the moment to confirm handbrake failure I wished I had reveiwed my choice of car before purchasing it then I would most likley not have purchased a Kia and will most certinly not ever be purchasing one in the future:(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear of your injuries, hope you recover soon.
I had a failure on my 03 plate Sedona when the handbrake cable snapped shortly after buyingthe carlate last year, it had felt rough from the start. The dealerI bought it from replacedthe cableFOC but to my mind it still feels as rough. I aim to get the whole system checked next timeit needs to go into the garage, but in the meantime I always leave it in gear if on any incline as I dont trust it to hold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
what was the outcome of the investigation ?

Mine failed twice earlier this year incold conditionsand hit a few people and parked cars ?

Im after having mine investigated.

Check out mine on the forum.

Regards

Ged

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiya

Dealer advised handbrake cables were partially seized on the drivers side and were all replaced.

Hope that helps, will try look for your report. did your vehicle injure people?

Lou

·
Registered
702 Posts
loupark74 said:
Hiya

Dealer advised handbrake cables were partially seized on the drivers side and were all replaced.

Hope that helps, will try look for your report. did your vehicle injure people?

Lou
The handbrake design is alwful on the sedona and needs careful and constant maintainace for it to continue to do what its suppose to ie hold the thing from moving when required. To adjust properly you haqve to slacken the whole lot off and start from scratch to get anything like a decent handbrake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a Sedona on a 53 plate the hand brake dosent work at all which we found out when the car decided to go rolling away fortunately the drivers door was still open so I managed to stop it, also the central locking system decided to lock it self with the engine running in the middle of nowhere and the spare key 15 miles away, a very kind motoristtook me home to get the spare key, also the turning circle is rubbish a double decker bus has a better one all in all the Sedona is a pile of rubbish which I would love to get rid off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts