Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 2.9 diesel cdi Sedona I noticed an oil leak around a month ago nothing too serious I thought n just kept an eye on my oil, then my engine light would come on and off when accelerating or climbing an incline went On motorway and when overtaking engine light came on and stayed on within a minute the engine cut out and I had to have it recovered, got it to the garage they told me my manifold gasket had gone and injector number 1's seal had gone which I saw myself there was a lot of carbon around the injector and it was chuffing from the seal, I had starting problems when we were hit with the snow but other than that it's always started after replacing the seal and gasket it still wouldn't start the engine turns quickly but won't start unless it's bumped or jump started have now changed fuel filter and diesel can be seen coming through but it then slowly gets sucked back, have changed fuel sender unit in tank and fuel relays but still won't start, fuel lines have been checked and no visible leak has been found even when priming with hand pump it doesn't start I am starting to lose the plot please help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi There i notice you had a problem in feb 2012,Did you ever to to any conclusion and solve the problem? if so could you please let me know,, as i have the same problem.Cheers Buddy Pete

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
is it common rail or is it rotary pump, I assume it is common rail, if so with this type of injection system there has to be a minimum pressure generated by the pump delivered to the fuel rail/injectors, only when this minimum pressure has been reached is injection allowed to take place, the injectors are usually the source of leaks, they leak internally through the leak off rail, you test them in situ individually and replace any that are leaking badly, if it starts with a tow it means that you are turning the engine faster overcoming any leaks there might be, there are other things that can prevent it from starting,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Foster, not sure if you will pick this up.. but, i have recently had my kia on a code tester yet again. it was showing that it could possibly be the air flow metor sensor,which i was quoted from a garage the price of £300 and odd.. i found one online brand new with garuntee,i have put this on. taken kia back to garage for code test again. Now it is reading that it has a govenor fault, which i am led to believ is in the pump..would you know wether this is so or not.. Sorry i seem to be a bloody pain...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi again forgot to mention when i bump started it to get it back to the garage, it is using diesel like it's going out of fashion... I really feel like taking a lump hammer to it...

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
these common rail pumps have a pressure limiting valve on the pump that can give trouble that is replaceable, if it is common rail there will be a wiring harness to each injector, if it is rotary pump it will be driven off the timing belt and located down the front of the engine drivers side, the early common rail pumps were prone to having the rotor tips start to break up, remove the fuel filter and cut it open, pour the contents in to a clear container then place a magnet on the bottom of the container and see if there is any iron filings, you want the fuel and the contents of the filter in your container, any filings from the folds of the filter, this is what you are looking for, if you find filings then remove the tank sender and look in the tank to see if there is any,

·
Registered
9 Posts
When i say it's in the pump.. i mean they say the Govenor... My poor head is all over the place with this god dam motor... Give me an old style motor anyday... these new motors are a pain in the rear....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts