Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought Kia's roof bars for our new e-Niro. The bars were fitted by our local dealership. The bars were much thicker than I was expecting, not as aerodynamic as the Thule bars we had on our old car.
The bars proved to be useless. They are too thick and incompatible with our Halfords roof box which can't grip them. I bought the bars from Kia because I wanted to be sure the mounts were right for the car. It didn't strike me as being very likely that the bars and a standard, mass market, roof box would be incompatible. Nevertheless, I specificied in writing what I wanted the bars for.
When I discovered the roof box wouldn't fit onto the bars the dealership said they wouldn't take them back. So that's £160 down the drain. Halfords weren't great, but at least they were more helpful and could assure me that car, new bars and roof box would all fit each other. I should obviously have gone to them in the first place.
Is this a widespread problem? Have other people had trouble with Kia roofbars? The company stance seems to be; take a chance, and if they're not what you need then throw them away and buy another set.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Not had that issue as I bought 3rd party bars Whispbar 120cm through bars & when changing cars from Stonic to Niro simply bought a new foot kit. £39.00
I take it that the Kia bars are the standard box section or are they a different shape?
Does seem strange that the box will not mount on the bars.
Does the Halford box have the U shape fittings? If so you should be able to source some bigger ones to fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not had that issue as I bought 3rd party bars Whispbar 120cm through bars & when changing cars from Stonic to Niro simply bought a new foot kit. £39.00
I take it that the Kia bars are the standard box section or are they a different shape?
Does seem strange that the box will not mount on the bars.
Does the Halford box have the U shape fittings? If so you should be able to source some bigger ones to fit.
They are the alluminium bars. The Halford box has claw grips, rather than U fittings. The Kia bars are so fat that the grips can't go all the way round. The box would probably stay on, for a while, at low speeds. You'd be criminally crazy to drive with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Do you mean like this. As that is the type my box has and it does not go all the way round (feet meet at bottom of bar) I have done thousands of miles and had no issues or box moving. Even after m/way speeds.

These are what our bars look like. I think there is about a good inch gap in the grips under the bars. It is not a issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that is the claw. The bars fitted by Kia are thicker than that. My pic is out of focus, but it gives a good indication. The claw grips the side of the bars, and don't reach the underside. On our previous car the tips didn't touch but it was still a good solid grip. I took the box to our local Halfords (inside the car!), The Halfords guys agreed that it would be dangerous.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
@Charlie Brodie
Thanks.
They do look a bit thicker & not wing shaped like mine.

Have you tried the box fitted on and given it a good shake?

Only option if Kia will not take it back would be to sell them on. Then use your previous bars, just get a new foot pack for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Charlie Brodie
Thanks.
They do look a bit thicker & not wing shaped like mine.

Have you tried the box fitted on and given it a good shake?

Only option if Kia will not take it back would be to sell them on. Then use your previous bars, just get a new foot pack for them.
I fitted it, tried pushing it around and really didn't think it was safe. I fitted again with Halfords fitters and they were certain it was unsafe. I couldn't be confident the claw wouldn't work loose since it doesn't have a full grip.
We sold the old car complete with bars and an old spare roof box to the son of friends.
We'll try to sell them. It seems ridiculous to send brand new bars off the landfill. I'm not sure what the demand will be for them though,

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Well at least it is the right time to sell, with plenty of people doing staycations and needing the roof for storage. (y)

Reactions: Charlie Brodie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you think the steel cross bars would be any smaller, I know they don't look as good. But if it gets a better grip it's worth it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you think the steel cross bars would be any smaller, I know they don't look as good. But if it gets a better grip it's worth it
I don't know. To be honest I've lost confidence in our local Kia dealership and don't want to go back there. They didn't suggest that as a solution. Their attitude was "you ordered it, you pay for it, we don't take returns, it's not our problem if it's useless". They phoned to complain about the low rating I gave them for customer service. We didn't buy the car from them. For servicing we'll take the car back to the dealership we bought it from, which isn't a huge inconvenience.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
I have Yakima's Whispbar™ which are really good & quiet (do not even notice them fitted) paired with a Hapro Traxer 4.6 box.
As I said before it has the type of grips in #4 but they have a lock inside & have never moved despite being well loaded @ M/Way speeds. Box is rock solid & will rock the car when pushing on the box.
From The Roof Box Company

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just bought the Kia bars so thanks for this heads-up, I'll check my roofbox fits them.
I can't find anywhere in the manual that indicates where the bars should be attached. Can they go anywhere or are there set positions for them?

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Front one I fitted just after the front joint on the rails, then back ones went where I got best fit on box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We bought Kia's roof bars for our new e-Niro. The bars were fitted by our local dealership. The bars were much thicker than I was expecting, not as aerodynamic as the Thule bars we had on our old car.
The bars proved to be useless. They are too thick and incompatible with our Halfords roof box which can't grip them. I bought the bars from Kia because I wanted to be sure the mounts were right for the car. It didn't strike me as being very likely that the bars and a standard, mass market, roof box would be incompatible. Nevertheless, I specificied in writing what I wanted the bars for.
When I discovered the roof box wouldn't fit onto the bars the dealership said they wouldn't take them back. So that's £160 down the drain. Halfords weren't great, but at least they were more helpful and could assure me that car, new bars and roof box would all fit each other. I should obviously have gone to them in the first place.
Is this a widespread problem? Have other people had trouble with Kia roofbars? The company stance seems to be; take a chance, and if they're not what you need then throw them away and buy another set.
Hi

You may have already found a solution to your roof box issue but this this may be of use just the same.

I have recently purchased a Niro and have always used Thule roof bars because I have used them on may different cars over the years and just purchased the feet kit as I already have bars (they are the type with the cut-out for for the head of the feet to slid into). The set I have used are the original steel ones but Thule 2 other alloy bars one of which are aerodynamic.
The feet are simple to fit and clamp on via an allen key (in the kit). So far I have carried Kayaks on the motorway with no issues.
The only issue is the costs, the feet alone are about £100 and the bars are more depending on which one you choose.

The Thule webs site will give the details about which kits you need and the bar sizes. If I remember correctly the re commended bars are 118 (118cm) but already had 120's and they are fine and don't over hang the width of the car.

Hope this helps

Regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts