Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Kia owners,

I've been having a really hard time diagnosing my Rio. The problem is this -- the car will lose power, especially once it reaches operating temperature. It really bogs down in the lower rpm band and then starts to open up again after about 2500 rpm. No check engine light. I've gotten a few opinions all on separate occasions.

1. Private shop: The catalytic converter might be clogged. Not confirmed. Mechanic did not have a tool to test back pressure in the exhaust.
2. Kia technician: The clutch is slipping (car is a manual). I'm not sure how much I agree with this. The car only has 70k and I've been driving a stick since I was 16 - aka - I know how to drive haha. It's also not like it revs and the car goes nowhere.
3. Kia technician: That's the way the Rio is, get used to it. Don't agree much with this one either - I've test driven other Rio's for a comparison and no problems.

I have access to a live data scanner. I've recorded some info at idle and 2000 rpms. I'm really not sure what the specs should be so I'll provide it here and maybe something will stand out.

Idle: 620rpm
- Catalyst Temp (Bank 1, Sensor 1): 568.7 C
- Engine Coolant Temp: 95 C
- Engine load: 27.06%
- Engine load (absolute): 19.22%
- Evap System Vapour Pressure: 113.75 Pa
- Fuel Rail Pressure: 568.54 psi
- Fuel Trim Bank 1 Long Term: -1.56%
- Intake Air Temp: 62 C
- Intake Manifold Pressure: 5.0763 psi
- O2 Sensor1 Equivalence Ratio (alternate): 1.0012
- O2 Bank 1, Sensor 2: 0.755 V
- Timing Advance: 2 degrees
- Air Fuel Ratio (Commanded): 14.7:1
- Air Fuel Ratio (Measured): 14.6744:1

2000 rpm
- Catalyst Temp (Bank 1, Sensor 1): 531.6 C
- Engine Coolant Temp: 94 C
- Engine load: 16.86%
- Engine load (absolute): 13.73%
- Evap System Vapour Pressure: -16.25 Pa
- Fuel Rail Pressure: 562.74 psi
- Fuel Trim Bank 1 Long Term: 0%
- Intake Air Temp: 66 C
- Intake Manifold Pressure: 3.4809 psi
- O2 Sensor1 Equivalence Ratio (alternate): 0.9956
- O2 Bank 1, Sensor 2: 0.745 V
- Timing Advance: 2 degrees
- Air Fuel Ratio (Commanded): 14.7:1
- Air Fuel Ratio (Measured): 14.6637:1

Not sure if any of this helps. I also noted, I was not able to get a reading for O2 Bank 1, Sensor 1.

The current drive cycle status:
- Misfire: Complete
- Fuel System: Complete
- Components: Complete
- Reserved: Not avail
- Catalyst: Not avail
- Heated Catalyst: Not avail
- Evaporative Sys: Not avail
- Secondary Air Sys: Not avail
- A/C Refrigerant: Not avail
- O2 sensor: Incomplete
- O2 sensor heater: Complete
- EGR system: Complete

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Does not Rio have the Auto Start/Stop?

If it does, when you have this problem, does the Auto Start/Stop light flash amber?

I have this problem with my Rio, and the light flashes. Marshalls Kia is not able to find the faultand Kia have told them that they need to have the car in for as long as it takes to test everything single sensor and electrical system. I told them that I need to have a courtesycar while they have it as my 6-year-old daughter attends an out of town school and we have to be able to get there at any time ICoE, and they keep refusing to provide one so I have given up on it. I find it is worse if the car has been sitting unused with the sun on the bonnetfor a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar issue on my 2014 Rio 3 1.4 manual diesel. Car was absolutely fine, no issues through 85,000 miles. Took it in for a new clutch as mine was on the way out, and once back the car hesitates on acceleration, feels down on power and in 3rd and 5th it won't accelerate at all. Took it back to the garage who checked they had replaced everything correctly and gave it a service in case a blocked filter was the issue, which it wasn't.

I have come to the conclusion that its some electrical fault as the gear shift indicato on the dash is also no longer working after having the clutch work done. What also is strange is that the cruise control will also no longer turn on in 3rd or 5th gear, and the dash notice to depress the clutch to start doesn't appear, but the car registers the clutch being depressed and as such starts.

Any ideas welcome. Bear in mind everything was fine until the clutch was changed, so I believe it to be related, its too much of a coincidence that something else happened to fail at the same time.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I had this on my proceed and it was the fuel pump running all the time listen for bubbling at the rear when the tanks low....it is evident with only half a tank or less anymore than that it will drive fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get the above things all the time regardless of fuel level. Its also not bad fuel as has been run low and re-filled from another source and no change.

Its like something wasn't reset or updated in the car when the clutch was changed, so mechanically its working, but electronically it doesn't know what gear its in. But since I have no faults, its like it doesn't know thst it doesn't know somethings wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Rio diesel, vintage 2012, is reluctant to start and stutters on hard acceleration until it is thoroughly warmed up. At its worst it was really rough for 20 miles, with the Autostop light on the whole time. (The Autostop itself hasn't worked in yonks.) A number of us seem to be having similar problems, with no solution yet being found. I have checked the air filter, and would check the fuel filter, except no-one seems to have found that was the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having a really hard time diagnosing my Rio. The problem is this -- the car will lose power, especially once it reaches operating temperature. It really bogs down in the lower rpm band and then starts to open up again after about 2500 rpm. No check engine light. I've gotten a few opinions all on separate occasions.

1. Private shop: The catalytic converter might be clogged. Not confirmed. Mechanic did not have a tool to test back pressure in the exhaust.

this is the current problem I am having with my car did you manage to get it sorted if so what was the actual problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts