Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a second hand kia rio (52 plate 1343cc).

I bought it from a local garage.I have only had the car 3 days and there is a problem when I use the indicators. The 10amp fuse keeps blowing and I have removed and replaced the fuse half a dozen times. I even removed the fuse from the hazards and the air bag in case there was a conflict within the steering wheel.

I have contacted the garage where I bought the car, he was very understanding and apologetic, and said he would speak to the auto-electrician who supposedly sorted this problem.

All I want to know has anybody else had a similar problem like this with any kia model and if so what was the diagnosis, the solution and the cost involved. This would be most beneficial as I can use this info once the garage have been in touch regarding what they are going to do.
Many thanks

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Have you tried replacing the indicator bulbs as one or more maybe causing a short to earth and that is why the fuse is blowing.
To add more. Its possible a live wire has chaffed and is bare and making contact with a part of the bodywork or touching the steering column this would cause fuse failure.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

Could I ask you if it was a live wire that is causing the problem is that something I could sort myself or would I be better getting a proper auto electrician to have a look?

I will try replacing the indicator bulbs in the meantime to see if that has any effect

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If a live wire touches the frame or any earthed metal part then it usually blows the fuse. You may need and auto spark to trace the problem wire if you feel that you are not equiped for electrical fault finding.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If you have a good spare flasher relay try this as the one on the car could be at fault. Worth a try before going to auto spark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts