Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have 2011 reg kia rio and suddenly steering wheel bacame very hard when I was doing 3 point turn. Car is also producing some squeaking noise from front wheels as well. I took to the local garage and mechanic told me that steering is fine but he advised me to replace both front suspension arms. He told that steering is hard because of old and rusty suspension arms.

Does old and rusty suspension arms have any link with hard steering? Does it is a genuine fault ? please share your thoughts , thank you

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've seen stiff steering from ball joints seizing up before. If the ball joint rubber dust boot covers have torn and allowing grease out/dirt in then it is possible the steering would be heavier. Can also create creaking/squeaking noises.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen stiff steering from ball joints seizing up before. If the ball joint rubber dust boot covers have torn and allowing grease out/dirt in then it is possible the steering would be heavier. Can also create creaking/squeaking noises.
Thank you for your reply.
Does replacing suspension arms would be enough to deal with ball joint boot covers etc?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
Does replacing suspension arms would be enough to deal with ball joint boot covers etc?
You can get the ball joints seperate as we've had one replaced under warranty due to a torn boot.

Get it double checked before committing to the ball joints.

You could read the fault codes on the steering module aswell as if the power steering had cut out. It's likely to have triggered a fault code. Also get battery condition checked out as a battery which has lost capacity could breakdown under heavy load and electric power steering will be one of the first things to drop out

Obvious things like tyre pressures etc....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I
You can get the ball joints seperate as we've had one replaced under warranty due to a torn boot.

Get it double checked before committing to the ball joints.

You could read the fault codes on the steering module aswell as if the power steering had cut out. It's likely to have triggered a fault code. Also get battery condition checked out as a battery which has lost capacity could breakdown under heavy load and electric power steering will be one of the first things to drop out

Obvious things like tyre pressures etc....
System not produced any error code and malfunction indicator light never came on, battery is fine and car is always starting first time on battery. Ball joints are also looking fine and I just applied some oil around front tyres and creaking sounds have disappeared.

Power steering is working fine now but why it became hard for a short time is still a mystry.

Thank you for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts