Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I bought a used car. I'm honestly in love with it, first car. It was 1°C outside yesterday and the car was making typical warning sound to inform me of icy conditions.

However, as I was driving,I either let the wheel go in a hole in a road and it made really loud bang or something hit underneath the car and hit it. The dashboard started making that noise again but none of the warning lights have come on.

I stopped, went outside to see if oil was leaking but nothing. I checked underneath the bonnet and all seemed well. No loss in breaks, no loss in steering power. The dashboard kept making noise without any icon on.

Anyone had similair experience?
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Welcome bunbun.

I've moved your post to a better forum but you need to say what year it was registered in UK for other Kia owners to add their advice.

Good Luck sorting your problem out. 🤗

·
Registered
912 Posts
So if I understand you correctly, everything appears normal, but you are concerned that the loud bang may have caused damage?

Have you noticed any other differences with the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome bunbun.

I've moved your post to a better forum but you need to say what year it was registered in UK for other Kia owners to add their advice.

Good Luck sorting your problem out. 🤗
Thank you so much. Sorry, I'm new here.

The reg number is 2014

So if I understand you correctly, everything appears normal, but you are concerned that the loud bang may have caused damage?

Have you noticed any other differences with the car?
I haven't noticed anything strange. I checked under bonnet, but nothing unusual. I checked under car, no oil leak or anything hanging off. No problems with breaking, no problems with steering and temperature stayed just below the 90°C.

It's a used car and no service history. I won't be able to get it checked out properly until next month and fix any issues. I don't feel scared driving a fully working car, I just feel scared driving alone and not knowing if something could happen. That's why I was worried about it. Could I be under inflated tyres?

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
553 Posts
Ah, first car; you'll always have a special love for it!

Any bongs are accompanied by some flashing or illuminated light on the dash (as far as I know). It's possible some sensor has been dislodged, but it is more likely it is a genuine warning. I don't know the Rio specifically, but off the top of my head it could be continued ice warning, seat belt warning or low tyre pressure warning. Are you able to post a picture of your dash, or better still a short video (including the bongs!).

Most likely any damage from dropping into a pothole will be tyre, wheel rim, tracking or possibly suspension.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Thank you so much. Sorry, I'm new here.

The reg number is 2014

I haven't noticed anything strange. I checked under bonnet, but nothing unusual. I checked under car, no oil leak or anything hanging off. No problems with breaking, no problems with steering and temperature stayed just below the 90°C.

It's a used car and no service history. I won't be able to get it checked out properly until next month and fix any issues. I don't feel scared driving a fully working car, I just feel scared driving alone and not knowing if something could happen. That's why I was worried about it. Could I be under inflated tyres?
Had you been driving on snow? If so it could be a build-up of snow freezing in the wheel arch and dropping off. These icebergs can make a surprisingly loud noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, first car; you'll always have a special love for it!

Any bongs are accompanied by some flashing or illuminated light on the dash (as far as I know). It's possible some sensor has been dislodged, but it is more likely it is a genuine warning. I don't know the Rio specifically, but off the top of my head it could be continued ice warning, seat belt warning or low tyre pressure warning. Are you able to post a picture of your dash, or better still a short video (including the bongs!).

Most likely any damage from dropping into a pothole will be tyre, wheel rim, tracking or possibly suspension.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Thank you so much for your time to reply. There was definitely not a warning light popping on, hence my confusion but this morning I've pumped the wheels. The pressure on them advises to be at 44PSI and they were all around 23PSI except for one that was 6PSI 😬 I've pumped them all to a healthy 43PSI.

I think I know what the source of bang was now but I'm wondering why the car kept making the warning noise 😔 I hate and I'm so scared driving alone at high speeds on motorway.

Had you been driving on snow? If so it could be a build-up of snow freezing in the wheel arch and dropping off. These icebergs can make a surprisingly loud noise.
Definitely not in snow but thank you so much for heads up! Any advice is gold for a novice driver.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
You have not told us what car you have so a bit in the dark here. |

Are you sure 44psi is correct?

With tyre pressures so low the warning bongs are probably the TPMS but there really should have been a light on the dash to tell you what the warning is.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You have not told us what car you have so a bit in the dark here.
As per the thread title, perhaps? ;)

44psi does sound high, and 6psi sounds very, very low! I would have thought low to mid thirties would have been nearer the mark. I would keep an eye on that one at 6psi, was this the one you think you dropped in a pothole? I think your bongs could well be the TPMS, if fitted of course.

·
Registered
418 Posts
44psi is far too high -A quick google search suggests about 32 psi for your car.

And you should keep an eye on the tyre that was down to 6 psi - check after 24 hours.

Most cars are in the range 25-36 (depending on tyre sizes and car weights).

Sometimes you can get a noisy puncture,I have had a noisy puncture (very distinctive noise) but the screw that caused it stayed in the tyre and it only deflated slowly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have not told us what car you have so a bit in the dark here. |

Are you sure 44psi is correct?

With tyre pressures so low the warning bongs are probably the TPMS but there really should have been a light on the dash to tell you what the warning is.
Just to make it super clear.
It's Kia Rio 1.1 diesel 2014 Air Eco dynamics

Here's a link for the car Check out this Kia Rio that I have just found on #motorscouk

As for tyre pressure, I have researched now and it should be around 38/40. I'll deflate them a little. However I barely carry any extra weight.

How to check if it's the TPMS? I know what the icon looks like for it on dashboard but I couldn't find it anywhere on mine.

As per the thread title, perhaps? ;)

44psi does sound high, and 6psi sounds very, very low! I would have thought low to mid thirties would have been nearer the mark. I would keep an eye on that one at 6psi, was this the one you think you dropped in a pothole? I think your bongs could well be the TPMS, if fitted of course.
I'll double check the tyre again tomorrow morning.

44psi is far too high -A quick google search suggests about 32 psi for your car.

And you should keep an eye on the tyre that was down to 6 psi - check after 24 hours.

Most cars are in the range 25-36 (depending on tyre sizes and car weights).

Sometimes you can get a noisy puncture,I have had a noisy puncture (very distinctive noise) but the screw that caused it stayed in the tyre and it only deflated slowly.
I'll double check the tyre tomorrow morning.

___

Soooo... I was driving today again and the dashboard noise was going on again. I start to wonder if it's something to make me aware the engine temperature is too cold? Let me explain...

When I was driving the car back from the seller, the temperature was sitting nicely just below 90°C. Since the bang happened, I don't think (again, it's just a feeling because I never drove a car with such a small engine) the temperature of the engine is getting warm enough? Driving it around town only gets to 45°C even though the heating in car works no problem and again no lights on dashboard.

I don't know again what's actually going on because I only drove it 3 times.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm not sure any car would sound bongs to warn you of an engine being too cold; that would be intensely annoying! It's entirely possible with the current weather that on shorter journeys you don't get up to 90°C, especially if you have the heater on full blast.

Just a thought, you don't drive with a heavy bag on your passenger seat, do you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure any car would sound bongs to warn you of an engine being too cold; that would be intensely annoying! It's entirely possible with the current weather that on shorter journeys you don't get up to 90°C, especially if you have the heater on full blast.

Just a thought, you don't drive with a heavy bag on your passenger seat, do you?
I apologise for the confusion. The bang happened when I was driving last night and then soon after the dashboard started making the same noises as it does when it warns you about the icy conditions. But the bang only happened once last night.

That's really good thinking! I haven't thought about it but no heavy bags, the heaviest thing in the car is my bum 🙈😂

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Also, I didn't know about the engine loosing temp due to using heating in car (might be obvious but I'm honestly a novice). It's only on number 2 but I've been driving it for an hour? With a 10 minute stop and it was cooling pretty fast. I'll keep an eye on it when I'll be driving back home tomorrow.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sorry to disagree BB - but 38/40 psi is still too high.

Your car tyres should be set to 32psi/2.2 bars

Can you get a video of the dash warnings ?or is it just when you are moving ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to disagree BB - but 38/40 psi is still too high.

Your car tyres should be set to 32psi/2.2 bars

Can you get a video of the dash warnings ?or is it just when you are moving ?
Thank you so much for the extra information. I'll make sure they're deflated to this level.

Unfortunately the sound only comes up when I'm moving and it's not always. I'd have to have phone camera facing the dashboard and it's impossible to achieve while I'm driving.

Can you post a recording of the warning binging/bonging? This is getting interesting
It's the same sound the car makes to warn you of icy conditions when you switch it on. Except it goes on out of nowhere when you driving it. I'll try to record the sound if I can but can't promise. Again, thank you for your time and I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
553 Posts
...the heaviest thing in the car is my bum 🙈😂
Yes, probably the same for me!

...but I've been driving it for an hour? With a 10 minute stop and it was cooling pretty fast....
Hmm, that should be up after an hour. I wonder if may be you have a dodgy thermostat? That is certainly something that whoever you bought it from should fix (I'm guessing you only bought it recently). But we could really do with someone on here with direct experience of your specific model, all cars have their own peculiarities!

Back to your bongs, can you persuade a bubbled friend or family member to take a quick spin round the block with you to film what's going on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, probably the same for me!

Hmm, that should be up after an hour. I wonder if may be you have a dodgy thermostat? That is certainly something that whoever you bought it from should fix (I'm guessing you only bought it recently). But we could really do with someone on here with direct experience of your specific model, all cars have their own peculiarities!

Back to your bongs, can you persuade a bubbled friend or family member to take a quick spin round the block with you to film what's going on?
I'm no engineer and don't pretend to be one but if it was thermostat, would the heating stop working?

I agree, it's hard to know each car. My dad had a VW Touran and I knew that car by heart. This one makes so much weird noises (like flowing water when I switch the engine on?) that really make me wonder if I get there in once piece.

When I'll be dropping my mum off at work on Thursday and Friday, I'll ask her to hold the phone for me while I'm driving 🙈 😂.

Again, just to clear it up, the bang only happened once when I drove over holes in road. The high pitched warning comes from dashboard occasionally/randomly since then whilst driving.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not sure about the bang but just to check the obvious but if the area you are in is in a bit of a cold snap the warning beep will happen every time the car has went from 4 degrees or below to 5 and then dips back to 4 or below again. Just wondering if there is any chance it could be that? In saying that on previous pre covid trips of 40 plus miles I've only ever had that happen to me a couple of times over that distance...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts