Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a problem with steering going stiff, taken car to kia in Weston super mare and been qouted £1,900.
Car has only done 35000 miles and the warranty has just ran out .

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
215 Posts
Could
Have a problem with steering going stiff, taken car to kia in Weston super mare and been qouted £1,900.
Car has only done 35000 miles and the warranty has just ran out .
Could be a lower steering column universal joint. Judging by the age and low miles I'm assuming it sits unused a lot. During winter if not used much, corrosion sets in. You may be able to access it from inside. There is possibly a rubber cover over it. If you can remove it then spray WD40 on the joint. Failing that access from underneath. I don't know whether you can attempt this yourself. If it's not that then it could be the power steering. It is quite a low mileage for such a fault. I'm not sure if this model has electric or hydraulic PAS. Someone will enlighten us.
As the car is out of warranty I would suggest you use an independent garage rather than Kia dealer.The rates should be far more reasonable.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Electric power assist motor on the steering column may have worn out it's brushes. Is it intermittent?
Used Pas motors are under £100 and can be replaced with an hour or twos labour.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts