Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new (08' - current) Rio does not have an engine temperature gauge. This means that you cannot tell the engine is over-heating until the EMS (Engine Management System) light comes on. Previously, I had a gauge and could put on the fans at high-heat to overt the engine from over-heating.

Maybe the engine is better and is hard to over-heat, therefor Kia don't have a gauge.Has anyone had their engines over-heat, or suggest any workaround to prevent over-heating?

Any comments appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
hi haggis
On my 2006 Rio there is a blue thermometer symbol that lights up when I first start engine that goes out when engine is warmed up.If the engine gets too hot then a red symbol lights up.
It is shown in the handbook.
Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
I think a few months back, Davy found an add on you can buy, do a search for it in the Rio section of this forum. I don't like the idea of not having a gauge either. Seems like they've cut corners for cost in certain areas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,247 Posts
Or lack of one on the Diesel Rio. Well I found a company McGill
Motorsports on Ebay who sell some nice gauges at not alot of money. They
also do an adapter for the temp sender that fits inline to a water
hose. I bought one and the adapter for my Motorbike as its only got a
temp warning light similar to the Rio.
Heres the link.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLASMA-DISPLAY-WATER-TEMPERATURE-GAUGE-UNIVERSAL-52MM_W0QQitemZ380134824821QQcategoryZ43120QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7124518122082958989
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Water-Temp-Gauge-Radiator-Hose-Sensor-Adaptor-32mm-RED-/180481102382?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a0583122e
Now they do the adapter in different bore sizes to suit your hose.
I
was looking at the dash area on the Rio and not sure where to put the
gauge. You can buy a pod for it either to fit to the A post next to
frontscreen or a dash mounted pod.

Here it is .




Edited by: davy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
00Haggis00 said:
The new (08' - current) Rio does not have an engine temperature gauge. This means that you cannot tell the engine is over-heating until the EMS (Engine Management System) light comes on. Previously, I had a gauge and could put on the fans at high-heat to overt the engine from over-heating.

Maybe the engine is better and is hard to over-heat, therefor Kia don't have a gauge.Has anyone had their engines over-heat, or suggest any workaround to prevent over-heating?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks for your comment. Has your red symbol lit up yet? What I am concerned about is how much "warning" you have when the light comes on.

The manual does state that when the light comes on you should pull over etc, but this would be avoidable if there was a gauge there in the first place.

I am interested in peoples experiences, where they donot have a gauge, and the light comes on.

Thank's again for your reply, much appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
davy said:
Or lack of one on the Diesel Rio. Well I found a company McGill
Motorsports on Ebay who sell some nice gauges at not alot of money. They
also do an adapter for the temp sender that fits inline to a water
hose. I bought one and the adapter for my Motorbike as its only got a
temp warning light similar to the Rio.
Heres the link.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLASMA-DISPLAY-WATER-TEMPERATURE-GAUGE-UNIVERSAL-52MM_W0QQitemZ380134824821QQcategoryZ43120QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7124518122082958989
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Water-Temp-Gauge-Radiator-Hose-Sensor-Adaptor-32mm-RED-/180481102382?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a0583122e
Now they do the adapter in different bore sizes to suit your hose.
I
was looking at the dash area on the Rio and not sure where to put the
gauge. You can buy a pod for it either to fit to the A post next to
frontscreen or a dash mounted pod.

Here it is .

Hi there, thanks for the link to the gauge. I did see it and had a look before I posted my thread. To be honest I don't think doing a mod is for me, but of course it is an option.

Without a gauge, how do you guys feel when you are in a grid-lock and its 20° + outside, and you are doing 0 ""“ 5mph for like an hour? Has the light came on? Previously, with cars that have a gauge, I notice the temp. increase and put my fan on at high-heat. Is this what I should do, even though I donot know the temp. of the coolant?

Thanks again for your reply
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,247 Posts
When you switch ignition on does both the red and blue temp warning lights come on. If they do then dont worry about. I have never seen the red coming on when engine is running and I have sat with it ticking over for a while. I do hear the cooling fan coming on. If the red temp light does come on then yes turn heater to hot and blower on full and open all windows and it should help.
But dont worry about it until it happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
davy said:
When you switch ignition on does both the red and blue temp warning lights come on
.Nah, none come on. I'm guessing a Blue one comes on if the coolant doesn't heat up?
davy said:
If they do then dont worry about""¦
But dont worry about it until it happens.
Well, that's the point. I am worrying !!!!
Ach, not that much really, but does seem rather strange not being able to monitor how hot your engine is running. I think I will go with instinct, and if in a jam, I will put fan on heat at full

Thank's again for your reply
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
I do worry about it, I like to see in advance what's going on. Having the gauge can give you a good indication of trends, so if you see the needle go up a couple of degrees compared to normalyou can investigate and get to the bottom of it before a catastrophe occurs. I've just lived with it for the last 11 months, I check the water level on a regular basis and hope my 7 year warranty is worth something!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,247 Posts
Here's the script on the temp lights

The BLUE temp light comes on if temp is below 55c and goes out after 60c
The RED temp light comes on at 125c and goes out at 120c.

I know water boils at 100c but when its under pressure its boiling point is higher so don't sh*t yerself at these figures.
All info courtesy of KIA.

No matter what I would still prefer a gauge to look at.



Edited by: davy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Our BMW 118D only has a warning light, does not worry me.


Modern gauges don't read in a linear fashion and are very well damped. Most modern gauges willquickly reach the "normal" reading and sit there without moving over quite a wide temp range. When an engine does overheat the gauge will rise very quickly, possibly you may even miss it.



Back in my youth a temp gauge went up and down in trafficbut modern ones just don't work like that.



Our Focus temp gauge lied, it went down in traffic.



Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
suttonseven said:
Our BMW 118D only has a warning light, does not worry me.


Modern gauges don't read in a linear fashion and are very well damped. Most modern gauges willquickly reach the "normal" reading and sit there without moving over quite a wide temp range. When an engine does overheat the gauge will rise very quickly, possibly you may even miss it.



Back in my youth a temp gauge went up and down in trafficbut modern ones just don't work like that.



Our Focus temp gauge lied, it went down in traffic.



Paul

Thank's for that Paul.

davy said:
Haggis when you switch ignition on just to the point where the dash warning lights show up the blue and red temp ones illuminate for 3 secs or so. If not I would get it checked out.
Hmmm, not really sure. They do all illuminate when the ignition is on, not 100% sure about the Blue one. I do assume the sensor works that measures the coolant (so Far !!!), but just not used to the idea of going without a gauge.
I am trying to get ahead of myself, in that the car is brand new (April 2011), and has not had the joy of gridlock "driving" yet, and just trying to prepare myself.

Thanks again for your post Davy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
00Haggis00
Dont worry about sitting in traffic and the car overheating. Like all modern cars the Rio will have an electric fan that is thermostatically controlled and will switch on long before the engine overheats (normally about 105 to 110C)to bring the temp back down to correct levels. If you had a gauge the fan would be on before it even registered a rise in temp above normal. When you are sitting in traffic with the window open you may hear it start and stop. For a car to overheat there needs to be a fundamental problem with it and not just a queue of traffic.



Don't panic, there are millions of cars without temperature gauges and they are all working just fine. Look on the bright side, its one less part to break.



Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
One way around it may be to get a "Scangauge" - plugs into the diagnostic socket and reads the cars sensors. You could then use it to tell you engine temp, fuel consumption etc etc.


I think it's extremely rare for a temp gauge to break. The lead might come off the sensor, or the sensor may be defective, but dash board gauges are very reliable. Even if you see one going down when it shouldn't tells you something is wrong.



Simply having an electric fan coming on is not going to help you if you've lost coolant, or the thermostat is stuck or the water pump is failing.
Edited by: M4trundler
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top