Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a new Kia Rio 1.4 Chill (09). I've been driving the car now for two months and average 28mpg. Recently did 282 miles on a full tank. I don't drive at great speed or with hard acceleration.
The manafacturers specifications state 38.7 mpg. I could understand some variation, but 10 mpg is a remarkable difference. I am wondering if any other Kia Rio owners have found fuel consumption figures to be different to that of the manafacturers spec. Specifically the Kia Rio 1.4.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I do have a rio but not a 1.4 petrol version so I can only offer rough advise.

However, I think you will find most cars (regardless of make or model) do not achieve the figures published.

This is because the government tests are done by people in long white coats with the car in a laboratory under 'simulated' conditions.

From reading other posts in other forums, 10% less the reported figures are what you are likely to get in the real world.

282 miles on a full tank initially sounds really bad, but it is only a 42 litre tank (others have larger tanks).

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I totally agree with you Diddy1234 the figures quoted by manufactures are hard to replicate. They are all done on a rolling road with no air resistance or gradients and do not reflect on actual driving conditions. So treat every figures for perforformance and fuel consumption with a dose of salts. But in saying that I am very happy with mpg and performance of my diesel Rio. One of the most powerful diesels in its size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.
I fully appreciate the figures derived for economy are the result of tests conducted in a controlled environment. However it's the difference from the claimed figures and the actual figures. In this case it's near 27%. In todays particular climate, economical and environmental, a consumers purchase is based on these figures. This seems to me to be misleading, wheather it's the fault of Kia or the European directive that outlines testing conditions.
The current tank capacity on the Kia Rio is 45l, so according to Kia's figures, I should have covered over 430 miles. Even deducting 20% for error, this comes to over 340 miles. Which seems to me a large margin for error.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car Rio Chill 1.4 petrol purchased in October 09.

Purchased under the scrappage scheme to replace my old Peugeot 205 1.8 diesel.

This thing makes a mockery of the scrappage scheme's philosophy of getting old inefficient cars off the road, my old Peugeot did at least twice as many miles to the gallon, I just hope things improve as the engine loosens up a bit.

Also the suspension seems to have developed a knocking sound with only 700 miles on the clock? Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
My Kia also suffers from a mystery noise (left side). I thought it may be the suspension also. I took in to the Kia garage andcame out none the wiser. Theinspecting mechanic thought it may be the anti-roll bar but couldn't be 100% sure.I was told to monitor the noise. The doorlocks have also been replaced.

Paint has also flaked of the rear left passanger door along with signs of rust where the door closes on the chasis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi just curious if your MPG has improved as the engine will have loosened up slightly (i guess ). I recently purchased a Rio 1.4 and it has just returned 25 mpg this is a brand new engine and the journeys were mainly local very short ones with only 2 journeys around 30 miles on B roads, so i am hopeing that as the engine beds in the mpg will improve greatly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i have an 09 plate Rio "Chill" 1.4 which is returning terrible mpg around 28-29mpg combined.Irecently took it out for a day, up the A9, around 60mph all the way and only retured 38mpg . Had it back to the garage, they say its not the car it's MY driving!!!I find this hard to believe asI also have an 09 VW caddy which does the same journeys fully loaded all the time and it gives me almost bang on the correct mpg.Ialso have an old Daewoo Tacuma 2.0 cdx on an 02 which easly gives the same or better mpg than the Rio.Is anyone else out therehaving the same problems as me ? Another problem I have is my frontseats are fraying around the sidesalready. Garage say never sean it before has anyone else had this problem with the Rio Chill. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
look at my post on my 2010 modle picanto....its fuel consumption is absloutley crap its bin in and out of dealers and the just say there is nothing wrong with it I am thinking of selling it. Kia really seem to have a problem with fuel consumption

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It cant all be down to peoples driving style. I also think the mpg figures Kia state for their cars is well out. My Rio diesel is suppose to get 69mpg extra urban. Drop that by 10mpg then we are talking sense.

Quoting figs like that gets people interested in their product and when the customertries to achieve these exagerated figs and dont succeed then blame the customers driving style. Easy way out. This is not just the Kia manufacturer there is other manufacturers that will do the same.
Allthese figs they come out with are achieved on a rolling road in perfectly still conditions inside a testing unit. They want to actually drive the car on the highway in various weather and road conditions and then take an average of the readings and that way it would be more realistic.

I would also add mpg will increase as the engine loosens up, by 20k it should settle especially on diesel engines. So give it time.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I expect to get thrown off this forum now, but most of the comments on here are a load of crap engines do not need to loosen up and published figures are published figures and not there to lie to customers ....Kia are crap !!!!!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I dont think you will get thrown out, you are entitled to your opinion and thats what forums are about. Some may not like it but thats life.
So who's fault is it that the figs Kia publish are not achievable by most of the forum members.

I have heard and experienced when an engine is new it does take sometime to free up and there is a noticeable increase in mpg.

·
Registered
12 Posts
this is the 11th new car i have owned and i have never known a break in period that effects fuel consumption or ever experienced such bad service from a main dealer they just lie to me and dont return calls and have the audacity to say i dont know how to drive...i am not the only person on this forum with substantial fuel consumption problems....

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Doublcrown I am sorry to hear you are pissed off with your Picanto. There does seem to be alot of disgruntled owners of this model. I do wish all the best in fighting your caseI would be livid too if I had the same problems. My Rio diesels mpg is not what Kia spout but its still has great consumption and power and I am very happy with it.
I have owned 4 Kia's a 1995 Mentor 1.6 petrol,2007 Ceed 1.4S petrol, 2008 Ceed 1.4SR petroland now the Rio diesel. The Mentor was bought in 2000 and we had it 6 1/2 years and did 60k miles without any problems. Both Ceeds were trouble free upto 8k when I changed them. My 2006 Rio has done 25k and only problem was a water sensor in the filter assembly.

So you can see why I have stayed with the Kia brand. Maybe I have been lucky who knows.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Doublcrown, I am also sorry to hear about your plight.

Like Davy I also have the diesel Rio and although the economy is not what the quoted figures are, they are not far off.

Regarding the Picanto I can only refer to the two times that I have had them as courtesy cars.
The first time the car had very few miles (below 100 miles) on the clock and drank fuel like it was going out of fashion.

However the second time that I the same car it had 9k miles and didn't use so much fuel.

But either way when I drove the Picanto at 70mph I could see the fuel gauge move (in its measly tank size).

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Eh no they're crap
Doublecrown I do hope you get what you want for it and quickly. Another chapter in your life but hey itsall character building

1 - 20 of 31 Posts