Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who might be interested. My odometer is about 1000 miles.

Fuel Tank Filled £54

Mileage until the petrol warning light appears: 450miles

Mixture of city driving and commuting. Duel Carriageways, Motorway etc.

So were talking about 55MPG.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Really? I havent done a Full tank test yet on my 1.4CRDI, but when thedistance to emptyread 20 miles, I put in £20 of normal Derv so 14.2 Litres or 3.1 Gallons, this made the Distance to Empty go to 200miles, or indictaivley 180miles on 3.1 Gallons so 58MPG is what the fuel computer is guessing at.

The dash is showing average to date of 45.8MPG with the ODO showing 364 miles in total (of which i have covered 202 miles), and with the Distance to Empty now reading 75 miles, I have covered 119 miles since i put the fuel in. I know this is relatively inacrate, and i will do a brimmed tank to brimmed tank next week to give a true figure, but this would indicate that the fuel computer isnt far off its original estimate, and so i must be doing high 50's unless the distance to empty is optomistic.

But I havent done any long runs yet just the8 miles back and forth to work and a bit of local running around, so when i start pounding the M1 with the cruise set to 75MPH i am expecting the average to really shoot up.

Maybe we should start a stickyongoing MPG thread to see what people are really getting.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the thread sounds like a good idea.
We could record price of fuel per litre. Price of tank to full. Odometer overall and also trip.Also maybe a indication of average temperature. Also description of kind of driving.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Temperature should definitely be in there, i see a 10%+ difference on my current car (also a Diesel) between summer and winter, with warmer weather giving better MPG.

Not sure how to set up Stickies on this Forum....Mods, can you help??

·
Registered
328 Posts
I can also vouch for the temperature making a dent of fuel economy.

Big_Boz is correct around a 10% hit on economy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yes I can put a sticky up but we were plagued with the MPG posts and it got boring. I aint stickying it cos its does my head in as well as other long time members.
You get what you get, we are all different human beings and everyone drives different and everyone drives in different conditions. Therefore you get different mpgs, so live with it. If your not happy with your mpg then flog it .
We all know the figs Kia tell you are bullsh*t so whats the point in moaning about it.
One of the most boring posts on a forum to be honest.
So if Mr A does not get the same mpg as Mr B what are you going to do about it ? Tell Kia who would tell you what I have just said. Whats the point KCS are not going to do a thing about it.
I am on a few forums and I have got say this is the worse forum for posts about mpg, honestly its got to the stage its a head f**k.
Sorry guys but thats how I see it and I luv this forum and yous are all good guys too.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
525 Posts
davy said:
Yes I can put a sticky up but we were plagued with the MPG posts and it got boring. I aint stickying it cos its does my head in as well as other long time members. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php
You get what you get, we are all different human beings and everyone drives different and everyone drives in different conditions. Therefore you get different mpgs, so live with it. If your not happy with your mpg then flog it .
We all know the figs Kia tell you are bullsh*t so whats the point in moaning about it.
One of the most boring posts on a forum to be honest.
So if Mr A does not get the same mpg as Mr B what are you going to do about it ? Tell Kia who would tell you what I have just said. Whats the point KCS are not going to do a thing about it.
I am on a few forums and I have got say this is the worse forum for posts about mpg, honestly its got to the stage its a head f**k.
Sorry guys but thats how I see it and I luv this forum and yous are all good guys too.

WHOOOAAAA There fella....Glass of wine and some calmingwhale music when you get home from what must have been a bad day at the office!

Normally i would agree MPG threads are generally quite boring, There was one on the Toyota Aygo forum a few years back where the 7 people in england who bought a diesel one were all trying to hit 100MPG, no one cared.

But, given that the Rio is in theory the most economical and least poluting car in the world, and there will be at least a few people who have bought one expressly for that reason...perhaps you might re-consider..........at leasf for perhaps a few months at least so we can really see how close the claimed economy is to reality.......and to see if its really worth getting a 1.1CRDI over say the 1.4 or even the 1.25 Petrol........

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Boz I just feel strongly about this sort of posting
. I can honestly say you wont achieve the brochure figs. Just look at all the other models postings about mpg, they dont replicate the brochure figures. I would say deduct 10mpg from the guv figs and its more realistic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see maybe doing an organised thread might not be the best thing but what about the newbies to Kia and this forum. And what about the new cars?
You say that MPG is something that is bullsh*t from Kia. Maybe you are right but for them it is still a selling point. And MPG and eco factor was number 1 on my decision to buy the new Kia Rio. Im sorry i must have been the only one who did not know that the info from Kia was bullsh*t. Now that I am an owner of one I think it is a good thing to post my MPG simply for the reason if there is someone like me who wants a realistic idea of costs and MPG.
It's not about being dissatisfied and flogging the car. I am satisfied with the vehicle. But it is about saying what is truthful and being open about that.
If it pisses you off and the other oh so ancient blog admin people, perhaps you need a break from it.
Rant over now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
davy said:
Boz I just feel strongly about this sort of posting
. I can honestly say you wont achieve the brochure figs. Just look at all the other models postings about mpg, they dont replicate the brochure figures. I would say deduct 10mpg from the guv figs and its more realistic.

Lol, I was only kidding. Agreed the figures are silly and only aspirational, I know in days of old that Peugeot used to run the test figures withtheequivalentof 4 people in the car in weight where as the mechanically identicalCitroenequivalentwould always post better figures as they only stuck a driver in.

I wont goad youany moreon this point!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Engakuis said:
You say that MPG is something that is bullsh*t from Kia. Maybe you are right but for them it is still a selling point. And MPG and eco factor was number 1 on my decision to buy the new Kia Rio. Im sorry i must have been the only one who did not know that the info from Kia was bullsh*t.

And the figs are not BS, they are just run inLaboratoryconditions, and weDontlive in alaboratory, some of us live in Yorkshire, with Hills, and a boot full of rubbish, seats that we use for actual passengers, and varying weather conditions...ie many things that workagainstyou hitting the "quoted" figure

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Mellow Dave here now after my medication, ahh thats better.

The meaning of bullS*** mpg figs I was referring to is that these as Boz was saying achieved in Laboritory conditions are hard to replicate in the "real world" so therefore not to be believed.
Guys I know you are all very new to here and raising an MPG post and discussing your achieved figs is all new to you, by all means start one up, I cant stop you and I dont want to stop anyone from airing their views on here as its a peoples forum, so charge on guys. Us old timers have heard it all before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My current car, Nissan Micra 1.0 Tempest is rated at 47mpg combined. I use this car 2 days a week. The other times someone else in my family uses it (car sharing), mostly around the city so this may have increased fuel consumption.

Last week, when Irefuelledat 1/4 full to the top, 27.52 litres took me 320.2 miles on the odometer. This means that my fuel consumption for that tank was about 52.9mpg.

According to google maps, my commute (2 time a week) of 43.7 miles takes me along
A6, A421, A428, A45, A43, A5076

For those who don't recognize these, this is from Luton > Northampton (and back, in reverse order obviously) which consists of (including where I live, which I will not uncover) 30 roundabouts! The route is mixed driving with S2 roads, D2 partial sections and later quality D2 and short D3 types of roads.

As you can see, with my driving style and route in addition to others using the car less economically around town, etc (for the rest of 3 days). it is entirely possible for myself to succeed the combined cycle.

Although this message is so far not helpful, I have used it to suggest to you that there is a possibility in the real world to match such laboratory testing. I have also outlined my route (as above) so you can see what it is like, I think driving from inside one town into another town, inbetween numerous villages it passes through and considerable number of roundabouts and road type surfaces variations itqualifiesas mixed driving (combined cycle).

If you want to know how I achieve this, it requires concentration and practice but after a while it becomes simple. This is in addition to regular maintenance etc.

* Do not rush so you will not be tempted to speed so leave on time.
* Stick to the speed limit - why go faster and burn more fuel? If other drivers are angry lol don't worry, it's the legal maximum so f them to be honest.
* Drop back, 2 second rule, sometimes more, I like 4 second rule and double when rain (8 seconds) on NSL roads (less friction on wet surface, so takes longer to naturally slow down).
* Observation and 'driving without breaks mindset', don't be a mindless drone and react to traffic, think actively and you can anticipate what's going on and how things will affect you e.g. going 60mph you see a car indicating left up in front, which means he will inevitably slow down. This means you should stop accelerating and slow down naturally, by keeping distance it allows the space to slow down naturally (at a slow rate) before you hit the car in front and unnecessary breaking and acceleration and wasting fuel if you were right behind him.
* Keep the car moving & avoid stopping:
Like above use the momentum of the car to roll up to roundabout/red traffic light without accelerating. Sometimes if it is impossible to slow down naturally in 5th gear I slow down and go into a lower gear, and cruise 20mph for some distance before since by the time I reach the roundabout/traffic light, it is green or the people in front of me have cleared and it is clear to go. Do not accelerate when going downhill, let gravity do the work.
* Sometimes if there is an oncoming hill on a NSL road you have two options, you can either 1) speed up to 65mph on a level surface and ease up on the acceleration and go up the hill which will drop speed to ~60mph or whatever. The key point is that you save fuel by speeding up and climbing the hill much more forcefully at the beginning so you do not need to depress the accelerator much more when on a gradient. Or 2) you could just maintain pressure on the accelerator which will inevitably slow you down somewhat 50-55mph. Up to you, I do 1 if there is no crawler lane or 2 if there is a crawler lane then people can just pass you. No fuss.

When I intend to replace my Micra later in the year, I would be very much interested in the fuel economy I could achieve. Quite excited.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
On the Honest John website there's good info on what people get in the real world for different models. The numbers given for the Mark2 Rio are spot on what I get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
69.7""“74.4 mpg on the 1.1
That seems a bit genrous to me. Maybe there is something wrong with mine...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts