Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Proceed GT 1.6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, really quick query about the DCT trans and EPB. Throughout my googling I've only managed to find Indalo's comments regarding this, so just wanted some clarification.

Fingers crossed I'm picking up my Proceed GT next week, and I've only even driven manuals. If I'm stopped in traffic, and wanted to not dazzle other road users, in a manual car I was taught to pop on the handbrake and take my foot off of the foot brake.

How would this work in an auto (specifically the DCT)? If I took my foot off the foot brake, would the car try and creep and be held back by the EPB? Or is the system smart enough to recognise that the car is stopped and so will disconnect the clutches whilst under the EPB/Auto Hold?

I appreciate this may have an obvious answer, I'm just hesitant as I don't want to sit in traffic slipping the clutch with the EPB on and destroy my new car's gearbox!

Thanks.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
1,005 Posts
Hi Subsicto, welcome to the forum.

I believe you can either hold the car on the foot-brake or engage the EPB and the gearbox will go into neutral. Not sure of the GT's spec, but you may have AutoHold as well, so provided you press the button when you set-off, you won't need to apply the EPB yourself; as soon as you come to rest it will engage automatically and release again when you press the accelerator. Some caution required with AutoHold, however.

There are quite a few videos on "...what not to do with a DCT...", etc. on YouTube. Hopefully an owner will be along soon to give you some first-hand advice. Notwithstanding that, I'd also recommend you get a proper talk-through by the dealer; from so many posts on here it appears they are quite happy to wave new owners off without a thought that they may not fully understand all the newfangled bits-and-bobs on their new cars.

And finally, enjoy your new motor!

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
If you have & use Auto hold, the rear brake lights are on when it is engaged.

While my dealer would not get in the car to show me things. They were more than happy to answer any questions I had before I got in. Given it was in the middle of a lock down. I did not expect a unknown party to get in the car with me.

EPB on while stood will not destroy anything. In fact it will auto disengage when you set off, saving you from having to do it.

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,997 Posts
If you have & use Auto hold, the rear brake lights are on when it is engaged.

While my dealer would not get in the car to show me things. They were more than happy to answer any questions I had before I got in. Given it was in the middle of a lock down. I did not expect a unknown party to get in the car with me.

EPB on while stood will not destroy anything. In fact it will auto disengage when you set off, saving you from having to do it.
My Niro doesn't have the electronic parking brake so what I do, if I know the red light phase is a long one, is to put the gearbox into PARK (not neutral). This engages the transmission lock but with the clutches disengaged, holding the car securely. I watch the traffic and when I deem that "we" will be next to go I engage Drive with the car then held on the footbrake. Yes, I accept that the guy behind gets a facefull of red lights but it is only for a very short time. As the Niro doesn't have a genuine handbrake (has a foot-operated one...) it reduces the need to do a bit of tapdancing as the lights go red+amber!

Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
2019 Proceed GT 1.6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone who may stumble on this; with auto hold enabled, the car will NOT try and engage the clutches until you press the accelerator. In fact, if you have start/stop enabled, the car will not turn the engine back on until you press the accelerator.

If you have auto hold turned off, it will creep like a normal auto will.

Now to try and find if you can keep auto hold turned on by default rather than having to press it every time...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
That's a real shame, would've thought they could've put it in the driver convenience menu or something :(
Agreed, far too sensible. Somewhere on here I learnt a pattern, Engine on, ISG Off, Auto Hold On. I try to follow that routine every start, then I'm happy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
In fact, if you have start/stop enabled, the car will not turn the engine back on until you press the accelerator.
Not so. The engine will restart at a point when the electronic gadgetry decides to recharge the diminished battery back up a level appropriate for further use. It is particularly noticeable with climate control doing its work.

Have you never been stopped at, say, temporary traffic lights with a long delay on red? I go through a stretch that is time-controlled by temporary (2 years now!) lights quite frequently and my DCT system often, but not always, decides to restart the engine at a point of its choosing. Whenever the ISS becomes a nuisance, I press the off button.

·
Registered
2019 Proceed GT 1.6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not so. The engine will restart at a point when the electronic gadgetry decides to recharge the diminished battery back up a level appropriate for further use. It is particularly noticeable with climate control doing its work.

Have you never been stopped at, say, temporary traffic lights with a long delay on red? I go through a stretch that is time-controlled by temporary (2 years now!) lights quite frequently and my DCT system often, but not always, decides to restart the engine at a point of its choosing. Whenever the ISS becomes a nuisance, I press the off button.
Yeah that's right, it was the same on my manual sportswagon - I was more meaning for the autohold and clutch stuff that the clutches DEFINITELY aren't engaged when autohold is on, even when your foot is off the brake, because the engine isn't even turning over :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.