Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a frustrating noise that's coming from my car.
The noise seems to be coming from the rear of the car from when I start up in the morning cold.
The noise lasts around 10-20 minutes until engine and car is up to temperature and only seems to be happening in 3rd and 4th gear whilst light medium and heavy acceleration is used.
I can only describe the noise as like a slight drone that changes frequency like somebody is hoovering in the room next door.
The car has a full Kia service history and I get Interval service at Halfords , last week I had a service and Halfords could not find a fault because it wasn't making the noise.
Went to go and try and get checked again this morning and car wasn't making the noise & I think that's because of the really high evening temperature at the moment as it didn't make the noise on school run this morning. Hopefully someone on here has heard of this on here I'd be really grateful of any help it's so frustrating. This noise developed around 3 months ago and I've done a couple of thousand miles as like I said I've had it serviced and It does go away after ten minutes or so but I really want to find the cause.

·
Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
149 Posts
I'm just throwing ideas out here, but if its coming from the rear, its most like exhaust related, so its probably one of 2 things, a leak, or a loose/weakened mounting point

If you say its worst at cold start, i would suspect it being a leak around one of the joints in the exhaust, and as it gets up to temp, the exhaust heats up and expands, thus closing the gap and eliminating the leak

I have only had my ProCeed a couple of weeks, so don't know the car inside and out, and don't know where the exhaust joints are, but that is where i would start looking

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just throwing ideas out here, but if its coming from the rear, its most like exhaust related, so its probably one of 2 things, a leak, or a loose/weakened mounting point

If you say its worst at cold start, i would suspect it being a leak around one of the joints in the exhaust, and as it gets up to temp, the exhaust heats up and expands, thus closing the gap and eliminating the leak

I have only had my ProCeed a couple of weeks, so don't know the car inside and out, and don't know where the exhaust joints are, but that is where i would start looking

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Gloomy I appreciate it.

Finger's crossed it is that as I could live with an exhaust leak, my worry is that it's something more costly and expensive. It's annoying as I do look after her best I can appart from putting my foot down on every other street...
I did get an exhaust & cat check when I had an interim service last week and that wasn't picked up but like you said an expanding exhaust does seem logical. Finger's crossed your right. Cheers Alex

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only droning noise from the rear I can think of is the in tank fuel pump, they are quite noisy on these even more noisy when the fuel level gets low or the filter needs replacing or even the pump on it's way out, I just had to replace the whole unit at £450 :/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope it's not that but I think I seen that mentioned on another post within here , it's a weird one as doesn't happen all the time. I normally drive around with at least half a tank of fuel but I'll try it with full tank and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help with this also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.