Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have brought a Kia picanto GT line S , 67 plate , I am finding that it struggles going up hills . I change down to 2nd and sometimes even 1st and it takes a while to get up to a speed . I carry no weight in boot or back seats , it has been serviced before I brought it ( by Kia dealership and the garage from where I purchase it from) should it be struggling ?

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
175 Posts
It all depends on how steep the hill is, if it’s a steep gradient it’s likely to struggle.
does aSimilar car (power/weight) struggle up the same hill?
If you’d struggle to walk up it, chances are a small car also has a hard time too!

·
Super Moderator
5,435 Posts
Hi & welcome.
Move to Picanto section.

As above depends on hill & if you are just setting off. Daughters pulls like a train up nearest steep hill. ( it's pretty steep)

Turbo issue?

Does it rev freely on the flat?

·
Registered
Titanium Silver Kia Picanto GT-Line S 1.0 TGDI
26 Posts
What size engine do you have, 1.0 mpi 1.25 mpi or 1.0 TGDI?

Is your A/C on when going up this steep hill?

If it's the 1.0 TGDI engine it might be the turbo electronic wastegate fault?

The 1.0 TGDI engine should fly up most hills when the turbo spools up & comes on boost.

You might have to book it into the garage you bought it from for more in depth diagnosis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi & welcome.
Move to Picanto section.

As above depends on hill & if you are just setting off. Daughters pulls like a train up nearest steep hill. ( it's pretty steep)

Turbo issue?

Does it rev freely on the flat?
Getting it looked at local garage , agrees the car should manage it in 3rd at least unless I started to climb hill from bottom . Thanks for reply

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've driven the 1.25 Picanto and found it underpowered particularly given that its branded as a sporty option. The 1.0 tgdi should pull well though
What size engine do you have, 1.0 mpi 1.25 mpi or 1.0 TGDI?

Is your A/C on when going up this steep hill?

If it's the 1.0 TGDI engine it might be the turbo electronic wastegate fault?

The 1.0 TGDI engine should fly up most hills when the turbo spools up & comes on boost.

You might have to book it into the garage you bought it from for more in depth diagnosis.
its the 1.25 GT Line S model 2017/2018 year .

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've driven the 1.25 Picanto and found it underpowered particularly given that its branded as a sporty option. The 1.0 tgdi should pull well though
my sons got the chilli 2016 in 1.25 cc and i love driving it, so nippy in town and bends well compared to my venga ita a dream ,reminds me of driving mini cooper 1275 gt .

·
Registered
155 Posts
You shouldn't have to drop into 1st gear to up a hill on normal roads. Even 2nd gear is unusual unless you are fully loaded and going slowly.
Maybe a clapped out old banger would struggle, but 1.25 2017/18 model?
It is either a car problem or a driver problem. You decide.

Reactions: alohanicky

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You shouldn't have to drop into 1st gear to up a hill on normal roads. Even 2nd gear is unusual unless you are fully loaded and going slowly.
Maybe a clapped out old banger would struggle, but 1.25 2017/18 model?
It is either a car problem or a driver problem. You decide.
Don’t think it the driver but guess i am use to more powerful cars my other friend is mk1 Audi Quattro, but the Kia is at garage , mechanic drove it too and agreed it is not right , so they will sort it , thank you , it is also very hilly here in Cornwall and I accept when it is loaded with work stuff it will struggle , that’s why we emptied it and mechanic had a drive , fine on roads just the up hills it does not drive well .

·
Registered
189 Posts
As said above, the power is lost fast when the revs drop. We've a couple of local hills where I've dropped to second because of this. I blame my driving. My own car a 1.4 Skoda 150hp and turbocharged, has little trouble getting up the same hill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts