Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first ever post on any forum so sorry if I make any mistakes. I bought a 2020 Picanto Gt-line on 8/1/21, from a main dealer (their car) with 3,800 miles. Full disclosure, I am a driving instructor but due to lockdown this car was not used for lessons till 14/4/21. Before that date my car has already needed 2 replacement timing chains / tensioner and guides. Problems include metallic clatter on startup, which quickly develops into a loud whine / whirring sound on normal driving. If left it leads to a siren type sound and loud hiss in higher gears. The first replacement chain / tensioner lasted a few days before chain was stretched to a point I was told to not drive the car. Apparently the replacement tensioner was also faulty. My car is currently back with Kia again as same problems have restarted. Kia dealer and Kia UK now admit my car is making all these sounds but that it’s normal after the car has a few thousand miles on the engine. My car has now done 5,700 miles.
Also, my steering column rings like a cowbell over less than perfect roads if it’s in a lower position. Kia also admit my car does this but they say they all do and it’s another thing I’ll need to live with.
At the moment I’m very disappointed with Kia, especially over the 1.0 T-GDI issues. Any advice or experience of these issues would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
Titanium Silver Kia Picanto GT-Line S 1.0 TGDI
31 Posts
Hello
I have a 2019 Picanto GT-line S with the 1.0 turbo engine (G3LC)
Mine has now covered 8000 miles from new.
When I start mine up from cold or have left it for about 1 hour it will make a slight rattle from the cam chain / cam chain tenioner & dissapear about 1 second later. I just put it down to building up oil pressure on the hydraulic tensioner.

I have put ZX1 Extralube & Liqui Moly Mos2 engine oil additive in mine when I changed the oil & filter at 5000 miles. I use Liqui Moly 0w-30 C2 oil which is what is recommended for Europe in the 1.0 TGDI.

I personally change my oil & filter every 5000 miles / 6 months.

My engine is now quieter and smoother.

Was the timing chain noisey when you first got the car?

If there was a issue with the tensioner/ chain on this engine then I am sure Kia would put out a recall / technical bulletin.

I am not aware of any camchain/ tenioner issues with this engine.

Sorry to say you might have been very unlucky. I hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi bello01, thanks for the info. When I collected my car I thought there was a slightly unusual sound to the engine but I had nothing to compare it to at the time. Because we had just gone into lockdown I drove the car home then it was hardly used for weeks except for short essential journeys. Within around 200 miles the car sounded pretty bad. That’s when Kia first diagnosed the timing chain etc. I’m due to collect my car later today, they have also serviced while they’ve had it for last week but they have told me it still whines. I’ll definitely look into the additives you use, thank you.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,386 Posts
Hi M111, can I ask if you could just clarify that your engine has had it's original timing chain diagnosed as faulty and replaced, then the replacement chain diagnosed as faulty and replaced, and then you bought it (without being told any of this I'm guessing) or was this after you bought it?. Now the chain has gone again and is being replaced? In short has it had 2 chains or 3? Is the chain at fault or the tensioner did they say? If I'm reading your post correctly that's a lot of faulty chains in a very short mileage and very worrying. I'm one of those who do not use any additives as I'm old enough to remember the 'Slick 50' scam and regard them all as 'snake oil', but in your case I just might be tempted....

Reactions: Phil in Wales

·
Registered
Titanium Silver Kia Picanto GT-Line S 1.0 TGDI
31 Posts
Hi M111, can I ask if you could just clarify that your engine has had it's original timing chain diagnosed as faulty and replaced, then the replacement chain diagnosed as faulty and replaced, and then you bought it (without being told any of this I'm guessing) or was this after you bought it?. Now the chain has gone again and is being replaced? In short has it had 2 chains or 3? Is the chain at fault or the tensioner did they say? If I'm reading your post correctly that's a lot of faulty chains in a very short mileage and very worrying. I'm one of those who do not use any additives as I'm old enough to remember the 'Slick 50' scam and regard them all as 'snake oil', but in your case I just might be tempted....
Hi Phil866

I am a bit concerned now with my timing chain. At the moment mine is nice & quiet.
I will keep a close eye on mine. As I said in my post if there was a serious issue with the timing chain then there would be a recall you would hope.

M111, thinking about it, It does sound kind of strange that a car would be sold to a customer like this? Was it a ex demo car?

As for additives, I do rate Liqui Molly products & ZX1. I have been a mechanic since the 90s and have come across allot of rubbish but the two above do work. Works well on the 1.0 TGDI engine.

This a article about the 1.0 TGDI g3lc engine.
Seems a good engine....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Phil866, thanks for your reply, yes I bought it then within 200 miles it was diagnosed as needing chain, tensioner and guides. Then after a few days car had to be recovered back to dealer for everything to be replaced again as new tensioner had ceased. So currently it’s had its original chain and then 2 replacements. Just collected it back from dealer again as it started to fault again last week. They have had it a week, and checked things and serviced it but it still whines. They just tell me that all these engines do this after a few thousand miles? Especially noticeable at 1500-2000 revs. Really don’t think I’ll keep this car long unfortunately.
Thanks again,
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.