Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kia Picanto with automatic transmission is having an issue. When engine is one and when changing gear from drive to reverse, the car makes a big shake like it jumps. Please guide on what is causing this issue. Year of Picanto 2013 and having driven 40,000 Kms only. Thanking you in advance for your kind collaboration.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Assuming you are stopping before changing from forward to reverse, does the transmission have a dipstick and have you checked it hasn't burnt off some oil in its 40,000KM
Auto transmissions do have to "vent" and this can cause reduction in oil level over time
Reduced oil level means the hydraulics can give rough changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. I am a novice in this domain. According to the garage (Kia Motors Mauritius) they have been scrutinizing the vehicle and also checked the level of gearbox oil. They are proceeding by elimination. By now, they are thinking of changing the electronic box to test if it is being caused by a fault therein. But an electronic box must be ordered before proceeding with test. Moreover, now we have been reconfined for C-19 till 25-March.
Assuming you are stopping before changing from forward to reverse, does the transmission have a dipstick and have you checked it hasn't burnt off some oil in its 40,000KM
Auto transmissions do have to "vent" and this can cause reduction in oil level over time
Reduced oil level means the hydraulics can give rough changes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If the oil is what was in from new and never been changed then changing the oil can't really hurt and might help and in the grand scheme of things is cheap enough to try
It should be a red colour or reddy brown. If its brown / black, then it is definitely worn and needs changing.
Despite what manufacturers claim, gearbox oil doesn't last indefinitely, especially in automatic transmissions

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I will request them to replace the oil and test. What do you think?
I think you should not try to tell them what to do. It is under warranty and they will do what they think needs to be done. Imagine if they change the oil becaue you have requested it and the fault does not go away - who should pay for that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks once more. When lockdown is over I will request the garage to change the gearbox oil. In case you think of other option solution, please feel free. Cheers
I think you should not try to tell them what to do. It is under warranty and they will do what they think needs to be done. Imagine if they change the oil becaue you have requested it and the fault does not go away - who should pay for that?
Thanks for your guidance. However, it is no more under warranty. The latter is limited to 7 years or 100,000 Kms whichever comes first.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I still think that telling a garage what to do is not a good idea. If you think that they do not know what to do then take the vehicle elsewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts