Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my wife has a Kia Picanto 2020 1 litre Zest
When she comes home from a 6 mile journey from work she gets a smell of Antifreeze seems to be more noticeable when the engine is stopped
It is not using any coolant at all the car has just done 900 miles from new
Thanks

Super Moderator
Hi.
Might need to take it for a longer trip to burn anything off the engine. As you have not mentioned how long you have had the car. It could be that some got spilt on the engine and is just being burned off.
6 miles will have only just got the engine up to normal temp.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was registered August 2020
The expansion tank doesn't move from the full level
I never thought of that the most its done in one go was when we bought it back from the garage which was 26 miles but it was driven easy seeing it was new

Banned
New cars make all sorts of pongs burning off all the <whatevers> used in manufacture. If coolant level OK then keep an eye on all fluid levels but it really needs to get some longer journeys under its belt.

Registered
Hi I had this on my 68 plate 1.0 turbo GT-S for some months from 2/3 months old. I took it to the dealer a couple of times but they couldn鈥檛 find any reason for the smell. Then it just stopped so hopefully yours will too. I kept being told it was probably screen wash but like you I know it was defintely anti freeze I could smell. Hope that helps,put your mind at rest.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it has thanks
Checked all levels today and they are all spot on
We only get the smell when its warm can't smell anything when its cold so think it will disappear once it burns of

Registered
Do you notice the smell when you are inside the car ? Have you ever , when stopped, looked into the engine bay and really sniffed over it to try and ascertain a point where the smell in originating? Or even start it up cold and let it tick over until the smell appears, with the bonnet open. As some one said new vehicles do have various smells due to seals,paints , varnishes burning off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.