Hi can anyone advise on how to change auto transmission fluid .
You're a gentleman, thank you. Car has atf dipstick, will do what you advised.I dont know your car, but if it has a dipstick then it can be an easy DIY job.
1. only about half the fluid can be drained or vacuumed out but that can be enough in many cases.
2. obtain the correct fluid, you'll need some extra
3. vacuum out the fluid thru the dipstick tube
4. optional, buy a drain plug seal from a Kia dealer, they are a fairly spesific dimention and material that may not be in the average seal ring kit.
5. decide by looking at the drained fluid if just changing 50% of the volume will be adequate.
5. re-fit the drain plug to the correct torque with a new seal, the case is aluminium
6. fill the trans down the dipstick tube, less than what came out.
7. check the level, both hot and cold and adjust until it's correct.
8. if the fluid was contaminated or just half of a 5 liter container was used then repeat the sequence a week or so later.
If there is no dipstick, then fill using a semi-disposible plastic gear oil pump available from a marine chandlery, about £5, and mess free.
There are different types of fill plug placements, not all are just fill until it runs over. It May be necessary to read off your trans fluid temp while checking.
someone else will have to answer that. replacing 3 times will result in 87.5% new fluid in the trans.