Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am a new member, I have seen the many posts on the problem that I have with the "cruise control" briefly it does not work in accordance with the manual, in other words does not stay at a given speed , in addition, if set and eventually it stays at , say 70mph, start to overrun and reach say 72mph, it changes down, even down to 4th gear, now at 70mph, that is ridiculous. Kia and my dealership have been trying to fix now for over a year, now according to my dealership Kia say " oh there is no fault" that is the way they work . My thoughts on that are, that anyone can say this, if they don't know what the answer is. Makes me now wonder if the warranty is worth anything now though, they might say the same thing for aby futer faults, worrying!!
If Anyone has the answer to this, I would be grateful.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
If you are going down hill then the car can increase speed which the engine cannot control in a long gear, so it changes down to get more engine braking.

When you stay does not stay at given speed, by how much does it vary? It is normal for the car to slow a little when encountering an uphill before the CC reacts and applieds more power. Sometimes this co-incides with the hill flattening and a small overshoot is possible.

If this is not what you are experiencing can you describe mpre clearly what it does?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, however, I accept the fact the gearbox would need to react on the way thst it does, but only to a small extent, I would not expect it to go from, 7th down to 6th then to 5th and on some circumstances then down to 4th to try to keep the speed down but, this makes little or no difference to the overall speed, seem a little excess to me. All of this seems a little dramatic when the speed is only over by 2mph. All other auto that I have owned are much better a keeping the desired speed, either by changing down as this does or in one or two cars, the brakes have been applied automatically through the ABS unit.

In answer to you question, the variation initially was between 6 & 8 mph of the set speed, then slowly, very slowly even on a flat road, it eventually gets up to the set speed then goes over then, fafs about , never seems to settle, by that time we run out of flat road.

This is in addition to the fact as described by other members the CC takes a very long time to operate in the first place ie does not operate as described in the manual. The other concerning issue is that, after a year of waiting with various updates etc, Kia then turn around and say there is no fault, they are all like it, that does not make right.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
My sportage with the 1.6 petrol engine does not have much engine braking at all. This is a characteristic of a well engineered vehicle - little rollling resistance. I have noticed that the steeper the hilll the more aggressive it is at downshifting and I suspect it has some way to detect slope. I will say that I have not noticed a down shift for 2 mph over at 70, it needs more than that and it takes quite a while to decide to do it too.

You don't specify which engine you have but usually diesels offer beter engine braking than petrols because of the higher compression ratio.

If your vehicle can down shift into 4th at 70 without redlining the engine then it is doing what ever it can to control the speed. Just let it get on with it - what's the beef?

I believe that only those KIAs with adaptive cruise can actually apply the brakes to manage speed.

When you say takes a long time to operate what do you mean? Typically I will accelerate to my desired speed then set CC, park right foot and off we go. If I have to disengage it then resume responds when I tell it to and it will accelerate reasonable well to the previous set speed. Unless there is a gradient change it does so without overshoot.

OTOH I have found that my speed limiter is very sluggish as the set speed is approached. For a set speed of 30 it ble it blends off the power at about 25 and really crawls to the limit speed. It is also tardy on backing out the power when encountering a downhill and will overshoot at say 30 by up to 5 mph. Because of this I never use the limiter at speeds over 40.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Kia and my dealership have been trying to fix now for over a year, now according to my dealership Kia say " oh there is no fault" that is the way they work .
Welcome to the forum, 'Paulm##' and a happy new year.

I don't understand why 'Kia and my dealership' have been trying to fix something for over a year when they say there is no fault.

Every car that I have driven with cruise control has varied by a few mph either side of the set speed depending on road undulations and my Optima is no different in that regard so I don't really see what you report as a problem. It takes some people longer than others to adapt to DCT gearboxes and, of course, the Cruise Control operates in conjunction with the gearbox sensors.

I don't know how long you have owned the car but I'm inclined to say that you'll get used to the system. In any event, you have options; there is 'Smart CC' or you can opt for the traditional CC. You also have the manual control paddles behind the steering wheel if you would prefer a different gear to the one the gearbox has selected, in any circumstance.

If you think the KIA dealership person has lied to you, you could find a similar car on sale elsewhere and take it for a test-drive. As for drawing some parallel with warranty work in other areas of the car, I don't agree with your view on that at all. Genuine claims on the warranty are dealt with without quibble, providing that the servicing schedule has been rigidly adhered to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My sportage with the 1.6 petrol engine does not have much engine braking at all. This is a characteristic of a well engineered vehicle - little rollling resistance. I have noticed that the steeper the hilll the more aggressive it is at downshifting and I suspect it has some way to detect slope. I will say that I have not noticed a down shift for 2 mph over at 70, it needs more than that and it takes quite a while to decide to do it too.

You don't specify which engine you have but usually diesels offer beter engine braking than petrols because of the higher compression ratio.

If your vehicle can down shift into 4th at 70 without redlining the engine then it is doing what ever it can to control the speed. Just let it get on with it - what's the beef?

I believe that only those KIAs with adaptive cruise can actually apply the brakes to manage speed.

When you say takes a long time to operate what do you mean? Typically I will accelerate to my desired speed then set CC, park right foot and off we go. If I have to disengage it then resume responds when I tell it to and it will accelerate reasonable well to the previous set speed. Unless there is a gradient change it does so without overshoot.

OTOH I have found that my speed limiter is very sluggish as the set speed is approached. For a set speed of 30 it ble it blends off the power at about 25 and really crawls to the limit speed. It is also tardy on backing out the power when encountering a downhill and will overshoot at say 30 by up to 5 mph. Because of this I never use the limiter at speeds over 40.
Hi, just to clarify, I have a Optima1.6 Diesel Auto, the Optima has a totally different transmission system to all other Kia;s of this year range of 2019 I tried two other Optima's and they perform exactly the same as mine. The dealership recognises that there is an issue, this "Cruise control" does not operate as it should but, after they contacted Kia and took out a case file on it, they tried on several occasions to put it right, Kia said that they knew that there was an issue, and that it might take some time to correct but, they would do it. I tried on several occasions to obtain a date for this to be completed but they would not give me one.

After 13 months of waiting, and lets not forget Covid getting in the way, the dealer got me a newer Optima Diesel Auto, by six months to try, that was exactly the same.

To answer your question on "what my beef" with this, the answer is that it does not perform (that's not only by my reckoning but also others within the dealership) it does not perform to the manufactures manual, by that I mean, you click in the CC at say 70MPH, wait for 3 seconds, release the accelerator pedal, the vehicle then looses speed of up to 8 MPH then after a small distance (200 meters or so) starts to gain speed, it takes about between half and three quarters of a mile to get up to the pre-set speed, then goes over then it gets all confused or we run out of level road.

Talking to others, the manual version works fine, no problems at all so, it has to be the way that the gearbox is programmed but, notwithstanding the facts that there are so many other factors ie undulations in the road, load on the engine, temperature etc etc, it is difficult but, that is Kia's issue to sort, not mine. What really gets up my nose is the fact that they agreed initially that there was a problem, tried on several occasions to correct it and failed then after a long break, when I enquired, the dealership, when all else had failed they told me that Kia say that this is how they are meant to be and there was no fault.
I also mentioned the fact that my speed limiter is poor as well. NFF they said.

I tried customer service, six times, never had any response from them other than," we will see what we can do and call you tomorrow", I am still waiting for that call.

That's it really

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
the Optima has a totally different transmission system to all other Kia;s of this year range of 2019
In what way?

Are you saying that your Optima transmission differs from that in my 1.7 litre model from 2016? You say that you have driven other examples and they were exactly the same as yours so is there some major fault with these 2019 Optimas that KIA are denying?

For what it's worth, I have never had any problem with the 7-speeder in my Optima and it has been beautifully smooth since new. It did take a little while for me to adapt to DCT as my previous experience of many automatics was in various Borg-Warner offerings attached to more powerful engines. I would have no qualms about having another, in fact DCT would be my preferred choice as I never managed to get decent fuel consumption from any torque convertor box. My Optima delivers excellent mpg for a large estate car.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
To answer your question on "what my beef" with this, the answer is that it does not perform (that's not only by my reckoning but also others within the dealership) it does not perform to the manufactures manual, by that I mean, you click in the CC at say 70MPH, wait for 3 seconds, release the accelerator pedal, the vehicle then looses speed of up to 8 MPH then after a small distance (200 meters or so) starts to gain speed, it takes about between half and three quarters of a mile to get up to the pre-set speed, then goes over then it gets all confused or we run out of level road.
Well that does sound bad. My CC engages and holds set speed instantly. I usually lift the accelerator as I hit "set" and it just carries on at that speed. What happens if you try that?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 2017 (17) Optima and the only issue I have with the cruise control when it slows me down if I am coming up behind a slower moving vehicle and I cannot overtake it until the second lane is clear, is that when I move into the next lane it quickly drops a couple of gears and accelerates quickly above the set speed then drops back again, I don't know if that is normal?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In what way?

Are you saying that your Optima transmission differs from that in my 1.7 litre model from 2016? You say that you have driven other examples and they were exactly the same as yours so is there some major fault with these 2019 Optimas that KIA are denying?

For what it's worth, I have never had any problem with the 7-speeder in my Optima and it has been beautifully smooth since new. It did take a little while for me to adapt to DCT as my previous experience of many automatics was in various Borg-Warner offerings attached to more powerful engines. I would have no qualms about having another, in fact DCT would be my preferred choice as I never managed to get decent fuel consumption from any torque convertor box. My Optima delivers excellent mpg for a large estate car.
Yes, I have been told that the DCT in my Optima is different from late 2018 to getting on the end 2019, mine was registered in May 2019. Because my dealer is in touch with Kia Technical, I can't talk to them myself to find out what the differences are and the accociated programming. I am a qualified experienced vehicle engineer and have been lecturing up to level 4 qualifications for the last 40 years, now retired so, I could understand what they would talk about but, as a mear customer they, Technical, will not have any dialogue with me. Customer services at Kia are useless. They do not have any technical knowledge or understanding.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Yes, I have been told that the DCT in my Optima is different from late 2018 to getting on the end 2019
That's interesting, 'Paulm##'. Information about alterations or modifications in the Optima 7-speed DCT has escaped me but I haven't been associated with the motor trade since 2003 when I gave up business so that's hardly surprising.

That said, I cannot recall reading anything about the matter in this or indeed in any of the other sub-forums on this site. It occurs to me that any such modifications to the tried and tested DCT box would also be applied to the other models in KIA's range that share that transmission and engine, yet I really can't remember reading any complaints such as the one you describe.

It may be stretching things a little but I daresay it could be construed that the problem you have described might actually constitute a danger in certain circumstances as the vehicle is not then behaving as one might imagine it should under Cruise Control.

I wonder if your qualifications would be acceptable if you were prepared to offer yourself as an expert witness if you could persuade a legal firm that there is a case to be made in law against KIA?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's interesting, 'Paulm##'. Information about alterations or modifications in the Optima 7-speed DCT has escaped me but I haven't been associated with the motor trade since 2003 when I gave up business so that's hardly surprising.

That said, I cannot recall reading anything about the matter in this or indeed in any of the other sub-forums on this site. It occurs to me that any such modifications to the tried and tested DCT box would also be applied to the other models in KIA's range that share that transmission and engine, yet I really can't remember reading any complaints such as the one you describe.

It may be stretching things a little but I daresay it could be construed that the problem you have described might actually constitute a danger in certain circumstances as the vehicle is not then behaving as one might imagine it should under Cruise Control.

I wonder if your qualifications would be acceptable if you were prepared to offer yourself as an expert witness if you could persuade a legal firm that there is a case to be made in law against KIA?
Thank you for your reply, I did ask if this box is used in any other models, when my dealership asked Kia, the reply was no.

It is a possibility that I might put myself up as an "expert " as you say though how this might be done I am not sure though, I have to say that I just want it put right, surely I should not have to do anything really apart from make them aware of the problem. I remain convinced that it is on the programming of the DCT box, this has been clarified by the Master Tech at my dealership. The area that is involved, ie programming, is an area that I am not familiar with. Plus the fact that they, Kia, will not even have any dialogue with me only through the dealership and further the dealership involvment will not take place and they will not spend anymore time on the problem because Kia will not pay for any more, under warranty, time as they, Kia Technical say very conveniently, that there is not a fault!!!

I have partly come to terms with this problem, and I can't see what more I can do, the salesman whom I purchased the car from, has been very supportive over this, getting me other vehicles to try etc and he has now offered me two free services to compensate for at least some of he problem as I am fed up with it now.
I have to say that otherwise the car is excellent, and when you consider that my previous car was an XF Jaguar 3liter diesel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 2017 (17) Optima and the only issue I have with the cruise control when it slows me down if I am coming up behind a slower moving vehicle and I cannot overtake it until the second lane is clear, is that when I move into the next lane it quickly drops a couple of gears and accelerates quickly above the set speed then drops back again, I don't know if that is normal?
Hi, ooorya, just looking at what you have said three things to say, is you model a level 4 Optima, other things come to mind, does it work other than the problem that you have identified and it sounds as if you have " adaptive cruise control" this will keep you a safe distance from the vehicle in front as far as I am aware. Does that help?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi, ooorya, just looking at what you have said three things to say, is you model a level 4 Optima, other things come to mind, does it work other than the problem that you have identified and it sounds as if you have " adaptive cruise control" this will keep you a safe distance from the vehicle in front as far as I am aware. Does that help?
Hi Paul,

I have a GT LIne S and it does have adaptive cruise control so does keep me a safe distance from the vehicle in front and apart from the quick acceleration when moving to pass a slower car it seems to work fine.

I would add that just a week ago it slowed me down behind a lorry then waiting for a car to pass I moved into the next lane but the car that passed me was then held up by a slower car in the second lane (it was a two lane motorway the M18). The adaptive cruise control then went to accelerate to the set speed but as the car I came up behind was being held up it then slammed the brakes on with the emergency braking, the first time that has been used in the nearly 3 years I have had the car. It made my wife nearly wet herself 😃

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I have seen the many posts on the problem that I have with the "cruise control" briefly it does not work in accordance with the manual
It might be informative, particularly for the OP, if any other owners of the 2019 Optima models with DCT could offer their thoughts about the Cruise Control feature on their cars.

Evidently,
the Optima has a totally different transmission system to all other Kia;s of this year range of 2019
which is something that I wasn't aware of. The Optima was a low-volume seller in the UK, evidenced by its recent demise from the UK market with no direct replacement envisaged by KIA but perhaps someone who reads these pages has one and has experienced the same issue complained of in this thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It might be informative, particularly for the OP, if any other owners of the 2019 Optima models with DCT could offer their thoughts about the Cruise Control feature on their cars.

Evidently, which is something that I wasn't aware of. The Optima was a low-volume seller in the UK, evidenced by its recent demise from the UK market with no direct replacement envisaged by KIA but perhaps someone who reads these pages has one and has experienced the same issue complained of in this thread.
Yes thank you for your input, let's wait and see if any more Optima owners get in touch with the same problem.
Hi Paul,

I have a GT LIne S and it does have adaptive cruise control so does keep me a safe distance from the vehicle in front and apart from the quick acceleration when moving to pass a slower car it seems to work fine.

I would add that just a week ago it slowed me down behind a lorry then waiting for a car to pass I moved into the next lane but the car that passed me was then held up by a slower car in the second lane (it was a two lane motorway the M18). The adaptive cruise control then went to accelerate to the set speed but as the car I came up behind was being held up it then slammed the brakes on with the emergency braking, the first time that has been used in the nearly 3 years I have had the car. It made my wife nearly wet herself 😃
I can imagine that anything, on the safety side works, or doesn't as the case may be, in a way that you don't expect, it woukd be alarming, though some of these devices are programmed by people and they are not always right, are they!!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Talking to others, the manual version works fine, no problems at all so, it has to be the way that the gearbox is programmed
As a 2019 manual owner, I can say that it does NOT work fine and works exactly as you describe your problems (minus the auto box changing gear of course). There is a thread (click here) on this forum with several manual owners (myself included) complaining about the CC not sticking to your set speed, dropping by about 7-8mph, then slowly creeping up and over your set speed and fluctuating above and below before getting to the set speed. I have complained to my dealer about this. They have told me Kia are aware of the issue and hope to have a fix for it in 2021 but I will not hold my breath.

EDIT: Before someone says it, there is NO ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL on this model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tanks to all that have posted so far re"Cruise control" poor or not working correctly, it's good to think that others are "banging the drum" as it were. I like most of you will not "hold my breath for a "programming update" but, let's live in hope

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re
CRUISE CONTROL PROBLEMS
I wrote in this forum of my problems with cruise control & the complaint that I made was also ref Kia customer service being useless.
Customer service wrote to me & asked what the problem was, I wrote to them explaining what the issues were, they said they would investigate, they came back with the stock answer, that there was no fault. & no reference to their not replying to my complaint. I replied with my thoughts and asked for reasoned responses, as you would expect, nothing since that reply, it would seem how me that as soon as something becomes complicated, everyone seem to run away. Really sad and not what I would expect from any company.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.