Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia Customer Svcs,
I have been reading in the press recently that hybrid cars are being targeted and having their catalytic converters stolen. I have read that Toyota have a 'cat lock' which can be fitted to their cars to prevent the catalytic converters being removed. This is an official Toyota part that can be ordered and fitted by a Toyota engineer and is covered by warranty (5 years, I believe).

Does KIA have a similar official 'cat lock' that can be fitted to KIA hybrid cars? If so, please provide details on how to obtain them, total cost including fitting, etc.
I am especially interested because I have a '17 Kia Niro.

Please advise.

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
It's not just hybrids it's all petrol cars that have cats. Just I think that hybrid cats get less use.

I would contact your dealer as they should know.

A quick google brought up this gem on ebay
I think about a min and it would be off....

·
Registered
661 Posts
That looks something like I could knock up in my shed one afternoon, then spend hours of driving listening to the rattle and metal to metal contact noise safely in the knowledge that my cat is secure for at least 3-4 mins longer than had I not fitted it!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hi ElmerB

Thanks for the post.

Sorry, there's no locking accessory that we can offer although have fed back this request. We'd recommend checking for any updates to the accessory catalogue with your parts team whenever you have servicing.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit Discover Our Kia Range & Find A Local Dealer | Kia Motors UK
Follow https://twitter.com/KiaUK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Watch www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Customer Service opening hours:

Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 13:00
Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
220 Posts
That looks something like I could knock up in my shed one afternoon, then spend hours of driving listening to the rattle and metal to metal contact noise safely in the knowledge that my cat is secure for at least 3-4 mins longer than had I not fitted it!
You can knock up stainless wire / cable in your shed..wow..!!
I'm guessing you are referring to just the grill? :)

Cat locks seem to be favouring the steel wire method as they are much harder to slice through with a mini angle grinder than just a drilled cover or a grill.

A determined thief with lots of time would of course get through anything and its really just about making it harder than someone else's further down the road. Youtube videos show cat thefts in under 3 minutes in some cases. A thief isn't going to spend 10 - 15 minutes cutting through all the wires in most cases and will just move on to somebody elses vehicle.

Of course manufacturers need to take some responsibility here (and admirably Toyota are selling their retrofit solution at cost) but the real solution is design a car with a Cat in the engine bay which makes it rather more difficult than if its placed nicely on show under the passenger area needing just a single cut either side to release. My 2001 Nissan had a "close coupled cat" ie: Cat was straight after the exhaust manifold. The only way to remove it was by having access from above and below and it was a spanner job as you had no room for a grinder. If it was possible back then, it seems manufacturers have taken a backward step in placing them in easy access places.

My present car, a Venga, has a CAT that is two cuts(one either side of exhaust pipe) and its off, although admittedly the Venga also runs rather dirty so my CAT is also likely to have already heavily contaminated the expensive minerals within it. Thieves tend to be favouring Hybrids as they run really clean so the minerals are of much higher value (hence the Prius and Auris and Jazz Hybrids being targetted)

Of course come 2040 when ICE cars have been legislated off the road, we'll all be driving milk floats so CAT theft epidemic will be a distant memory...but ironically if battery packs become wholly modular for ease of swap out , battery theft will be the next big thing...probably...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts