Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If only they could add something to say when updates were out...
Better than noting, change to how routing works.

Seems none of the software dates have changed.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All software dates are the same. So unless they have done as before & not changed them, but not the dates, who knows.

Seems a odd statement to me. Put a notification of a change, but not change files or say when the change is coming. Or has anyone noticed a difference in options already?

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
846 Posts
All software dates are the same. So unless they have done as before & not changed them, but not the dates, who knows.

Seems a odd statement to me. Put a notification of a change, but not change files or say when the change is coming. Or has anyone noticed a difference in options already?
No change here on std gen 5. But I am assuming this will only be for gen 5w? It says and premium gen 5 units but not sure what they are?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

I’ve just taken a fresh download and all of the files are identical with the 22 February version, so I presume this change isn’t live yet.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TBH. The notification makes no sense. Without some information on which downloads it actually relates to. All well & good saying Std Gen5W Which we have now.
But just what are Premium 5 & 6 units & which cars do they relate to?

Seems Kia really have a poor understanding on just what to do with this website & what information to put on it... 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
312 Posts
It says that it's only for vehicles with "Connected Routing Services", so it looks like something that they've changed on the server side of things, not on the software of the head unit itself. In other words, it sounds like the routing algorithm runs on the Kia Connect side rather than on the car.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
583 Posts
It says that it's only for vehicles with "Connected Routing Services", so it looks like something that they've changed on the server side of things, not on the software of the head unit itself. In other words, it sounds like the routing algorithm runs on the Kia Connect side rather than on the car.
That was always the case: if the network is down, it gives the option of using local head unit routing.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I’m out tomorrow so I guess I’ll find out

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If only they could add something to say when updates were out...
Better than noting, change to how routing works.

Seems none of the software dates have changed.

I’m totally confused now. No new downloads and when I set my route this morning I was presented with “Recommended” and “Alternative”. No “Economic “ anywhere

ADDENDUM

Having just re-read the Notification I can only assume that the Alternative route retains the title “Alternative” but uses the “Economic” algorithm. How to make something simple complicated.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
“Economic” algorithm means exactly what.
My take would be the cheapest route, but could also be the quickest. But just what is Kia's take? As it factors in Toll Roads while maximising efficacy.

Wonder how much someone got paid to come up with that change?

I'm sure that focusing on fixing the bugs introduced in the November versions would have been a much higher priority as far as users are concerned, over a change of wording for something that in reality to most people makes not difference.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Indeed, now that fuel costs have gone through the roof it can actually be more ‘economical’ to pay the £2 toll to cross the Mersey bridges than crawl up the M6

·
Registered
Kia Niro 4, 1.6 2020 HEV Variant.
36 Posts
TBH. The notification makes no sense. Without some information on which downloads it actually relates to. All well & good saying Std Gen5W Which we have now.
But just what are Premium 5 & 6 units & which cars do they relate to?

Seems Kia really have a poor understanding on just what to do with this website & what information to put on it... 🤦‍♂️
I feel the whole article is badly written, requiring multiple reads.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not having seen this thread I stumbled across the announcement of the change yesterday.

The description seems to indicate that the change is all about the Alternative route to the main suggestion now taking Toll roads into account whereas before the alt. route would avoid toll roads.

There is something mentioned about doing something a little clever to decide whether using the toll would still be "eco" friendly on the balance of cost-effectiveness. I did not read it closely enough to be able to make an assessment of the potential benefits and debenefits.

I have no idea if there are any other changes in the update.

I had downloaded the February file and so I downloaded the new file and compared the properties using Windows. The new file has a different date and a different revision number.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Very much like the Humber bridge. £1.50 for a car or around 30 mile detour to avoid 🤣
Taken out of context, that fee seems exorbitant but anyone who lives here and knows the history thinks it's now "Do-able". Back when petrol was less than £1 per litre and I had to cross it both ways every working day. The toll was £3.00 each way for cars (higher for commercial vehicles), which made it the most expensive toll crossing in the United Kingdom. In April 2012, the toll was halved to £1.50 each way after the UK government deferred £150 million from the bridge's outstanding debt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts