Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
7,438 Posts
Just to remind everyone though, these updates are not endorsed by the kiaownersclub in any way.

I have over the years had many members messaging me after failed updates have messed up their units completely and ask if we have any 'pull' with Kia to put them right.

No we don't....its your own risk.

I pay Kia to do mine for 25 quid and if it goes wrong then they sort it....total peace of mind plus my seven year warranty stays intact....result.

Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
Kia have just released their latest 2020 maps and firmware updates.

Covers Gen1, Gen2, Gen4 and Gen5, European models only

For those of you who are familiar with torrents, here is a link for the torrent magnets to download on Google drive if you wish to perform the updates yourself.

Kia_2020.zip

Just updated my Picanto. One obvious change is the radio stations now display the stations logo on DAB and FM.

Will report back on any other changes once I've had a chance to play around.
Hi
on your link there is a map and a wide map, what's the difference ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
there is a map and a wide map, what's the difference ?
If you’ll forgive me answering, ‘hemesh’, and I’m sure ‘DandyAndy’ won’t mind, I’d suggest that the wide alternative is aimed at the later models of infotainment unit with the wider screen of approximately 10”.

Should that not be the case, I’m sure someone in the know will furnish the correct answer.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Open each downloaded folder to reveal the files inside and transfer on to an SD card of 32 GB, formatted as FAT32.

I loaded the software files first followed by the mapping files but I don’t know that that matters. With the ignition on, enter the settings menu and find the system update option. Remove the existing SD card and replace with the one you just created. click the button and don’t interfere with anything. Ten minutes or so later, it should tell you on-screen that the update is complete.

That was my method because I had some spare SD cards and of course, I didn’t have to over-write the files on the SD card I removed, not that it would have mattered, I suppose.

All things being equal, you just saved 25 sovs!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Open each downloaded folder to reveal the files inside and transfer on to an SD card of 32 GB, formatted as FAT32.

I loaded the software files first followed by the mapping files but I don’t know that that matters. With the ignition on, enter the settings menu and find the system update option. Remove the existing SD card and replace with the one you just created. click the button and don’t interfere with anything. Ten minutes or so later, it should tell you on-screen that the update is complete.

That was my method because I had some spare SD cards and of course, I didn’t have to over-write the files on the SD card I removed, not that it would have mattered, I suppose.

All things being equal, you just saved 25 sovs!
How to do this with a usb?

I dont have any Spare SD Cards, also do i copy all 3 .rars onto the 16gb stick?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
How to do this with a usb?
‘Joshua1234’, I’m sorry if I misunderstood but the information I provided is strictly for use with an SD card. If your car (model?) has no SD port, you will need to wait until such time as an update via USB is available. On that score, do you actually know if there is an outstanding update for your model?

·
Registered
13 Posts
‘Joshua1234’, I’m sorry if I misunderstood but the information I provided is strictly for use with an SD card. If your car (model?) has no SD port, you will need to wait until such time as an update via USB is available. On that score, do you actually know if there is an outstanding update for your model?
Hello, Yes, my car has a usb/SD card slot jsut i dont have a SD card spare that's all so was hoping to know if there is a way to do this for usb?

·
Registered
525 Posts
will reset my car's SD card and try the update, if fails then will restore the sd card files ..
hope it doesn't f up.
Having read back through this thread, the downloads are RAR files. This is basically a compressed file, similar to a ZIP file. You will need to uncompress each file and then copy the contents to the SD Card.

·
Registered
13 Posts
will reset my car's SD card and try the update, if fails then will restore the sd card files ..

hope it doesn't f up.
Copied all Gen5 files onto my SD CAR(extracted) but my car still does not see there is an update, it still comes up, Please insert memory device containing update?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you sure you don't want to take your car to a dealer and get it updated by them?
have phoned kia customer service / 2 kia dealers and they say that its not available yet? - (it normally get's shipped to us) but none of them say its worth doing it till the new upgrade comes out.. but ^^^^

from the 1st post, the dab raido's now show the logos

·
Registered
13 Posts
GOOD News, updated finally, my system was very out of date wow..

what do i do for the maps, is it maps and then widemaps or both together?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
UPDATE: car works fine with maps.. unsure what wide maps is tho?
Am I right in thinking you have been discussing the Picanto model? If so, unless I’m very much mistaken, you do not have a widescreen infotainment unit which is what the wide version of maps requires.

Now, perhaps you could clarify whether you successfully updated both the software/firmware files and the latest maps by SD card? I really didn’t understand the reference you made to USB, thinking that you really hadn’t read much of the abundant quantity of updating material in these pages, easily found by a simple search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Am I right in thinking you have been discussing the Picanto model? If so, unless I’m very much mistaken, you do not have a widescreen infotainment unit which is what the wide version of maps requires.

Now, perhaps you could clarify whether you successfully updated both the software/firmware files and the latest maps by SD card? I really didn’t understand the reference you made to USB, thinking that you really hadn’t read much of the abundant quantity of updating material in these pages, easily found by a simple search.
Hi,

Yes car is a 69 plate kia Picanto gt line s, i have updated both maps and the head unit, no issues.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts