Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kia have just released their latest 2020 maps and firmware updates.

Covers Gen1, Gen2, Gen4 and Gen5, European models only

For those of you who are familiar with torrents, here is a link for the torrent magnets to download on Google drive if you wish to perform the updates yourself.

Kia_2020.zip

Just updated my Picanto. One obvious change is the radio stations now display the stations logo on DAB and FM.

Will report back on any other changes once I've had a chance to play around.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Once you have had a chance to look, in order to get an idea of how up to date the map actually is, can you see if the A14 route from A1(M)/A1 to M11/Cambridge reflects the new bit constructed over the last three years or so and opened about 3 or 4 months ago.
The old route of the A14 left the A1(M) at J14 and goes in a southeasterly direction. That road is now renumbered as the A1307. The new A14 leaves A1 two junctons further south (unnumbered) and goes almost due east.
I have my doubts that the mapping will be that up to date.
Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had a check and the map is showing the A14 going through Brampton. Looks like the update doesn't include the new roads.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked again. Is the new road the Huntingdon Southern bypass? If so, its showing the road as white dotted lines. Guess that means under construction?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, sounds as if the new A14 is still shown as under construction (the old A14 left A1(M) at J14 and passed SW of the Little and Great Stukeleys before skirting Huntindon. The new A14 is further south.
My 2018 maps also show a dotted line for under construction. The satnav lady goes mad around there now as you negotiate empty fields according to the map. Last weekend it was particularly confusing as it said that roads were closed as I came north up the M11 to go via A14 on to A1/A1(M) - parts of the old A14 around Huntingdon were indeed closed but that did not affect the new part of A14 and I needed Google maps to confirm that there actually was another incident / closure on the A14 where it is being upgraded on line (between Cambridge Services and M11). Anyway a diversion via A1303, A428 and A1198 to get to A14 worked out OK and is possibly a better route untill they finish the online A14 works.
Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the link @DandyAndy .

Just a note to all that are looking to update their Gen4x systems using this link: it will not work. Unfortunately, the Kia Gen4x Software 2020 file is not present, only the 2020 maps are available. As such, one will not work without the other i.e. you first need the 2020 software update, to then be able to utilise the 2020 maps update.

Al

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just a note to all that are looking to update their Gen4x systems using this link: it will not work. Unfortunately, the Kia Gen4x Software 2020 file is not present, only the 2020 maps are available. As such, one will not work without the other i.e. you first need the 2020 software update, to then be able to utilise the 2020 maps update.

Al
There are no software updates for Gen4 head units at the present time. Map updates ARE NOT dependant on software updates, eg you can run 2020 maps WITHOUT 2020 software. kia recommends to carry out software updates (if available) to enhance any new features only.

·
Registered
530 Posts
There are no software updates for Gen4 head units at the present time. Map updates ARE NOT dependant on software updates, eg you can run 2020 maps WITHOUT 2020 software. kia recommends to carry out software updates (if available) to enhance any new features only.
After updating the software on my Sportage Gen5 head unit I put in the 2019 maps SD card & it did not work, so after updating to the recent maps everything works, also happened on my Picanto Gen5 too, so I think you have to update both software & maps on the Gen 5 head units

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Al
Humble apologies to Inbred Al and mah006. That will teach me not to read posts properly!

Ok, the missing Genx4 firmware torrent link is here: https://www.gpspower.net/attachments/kia/122362d1583761166-kia-software-maps-update-2020-eu-only-kia-gen4x-software-2020.zip

Unzip and copy the IBOX folder to a SD card to update the firmware.

If you have already downloaded the map, the original map link had a file missing in the download so make sure you download the map from the modified link in the first post again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
May I kindly refer you to https://www.gpspower.net/kia. Everyone on this forum who has tried to use the Gen4x 2020 maps with existing 2019 software, has failed (including myself). Fortunately, the originator of the original published links on this forum, also found the correct Gen4x software update, and used in combination, all works well now.

Also, please refrain from shouting; it's not necessary: be civil in your replies.

Al.

·
Super Moderator
2,401 Posts
Also, please refrain from shouting; it's not necessary: be civil in your replies.

Al.
I'm at a loss as to where this SHOUTING is? As I can not see any BLOCK CAPS (which is inferred as shouting on forums) from DandyAndy

I would also like to add that this is a "UNOFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPDATE"
just in case anyone tries it and messes up the head unit. Do not expect KIA to pick it up under the warranty.
KCS have said they are waiting on the official release date at the moment.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Out of interest, what size memory card do you need? Can the existing files be copied of the existing card (for backup). Has anyone tried to return to the previous version?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
what size memory card do you need? Can the existing files be copied of the existing card (for backup). Has anyone tried to return to the previous version?
The files from the two folders amount to 28.62GB so a standard SD card with 32GB available space is required. I have several cards of that capacity so I just use a formatted blank card with the downloaded files attached to perform the update.

It occurs to me that, should there be any further major updates, it is conceivable that a bigger capacity SD card may be required but for now, 32 GB is adequate.

There is no reason why the existing files cannot be retained on an SD card but I can’t imagine why anyone would wish to move back once the new updated files have been applied. From memory, is there not a facility whereby the infotainment unit can be reverted to factory condition?

If I understand the system operation properly, I suspect that any new SW or FW is applied to the unit but the actual maps are retained on the SD card - somebody a bit geekier than me might be able to confirm that….or not, as the case may be.

Anyway, should you have any thoughts about going down the DIY route, all I can tell you is that this is the 3rd system update I have performed on the Optima and I have had no adverse results whatsoever. As always, though, my advice to anyone concerned about the task or the quality of the files, is to avail themselves of the official version delivered by a KIA dealer for the very reasonable charge of £25 inc VAT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my Ceed SW GT-line 2017 nav updated today. My dealer updated it for free when I pointed out that my nav hadn’t been updated since when it was new. Bought it in december. The software came monday last weekend here in Sweden.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A
I'm at a loss as to where this SHOUTING is? As I can not see any BLOCK CAPS (which is inferred as shouting on forums) from DandyAndy

I would also like to add that this is a "UNOFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPDATE"
just in case anyone tries it and messes up the head unit. Do not expect KIA to pick it up under the warranty.
KCS have said they are waiting on the official release date at the moment.
And you are a moderator @iooi ? Clearly not much hope of learning civil etiquette here then.

Al

·
Registered
504 Posts
The files from the two folders amount to 28.62GB so a standard SD card with 32GB available space is required. I have several cards of that capacity so I just use a formatted blank card with the downloaded files attached to perform the update.

It occurs to me that, should there be any further major updates, it is conceivable that a bigger capacity SD card may be required but for now, 32 GB is adequate.

There is no reason why the existing files cannot be retained on an SD card but I can’t imagine why anyone would wish to move back once the new updated files have been applied. From memory, is there not a facility whereby the infotainment unit can be reverted to factory condition?
Maybe I didn't word my question well. Any time I do a major software update I make sure I have backed up data and setting etc., should anything go awry. So if thing go wrong, can you revert to the previous version?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was pointing out that this is not a official KIA update.

And you have avoided answering the question asked.
Oh dear.

Perhaps I should ask you to kindly read posts before responding to them? But from this little episode, it appears a fruitless exercise. A very good evening to you @iooi .

Al

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Maybe I didn't word my question well. Any time I do a major software update I make sure I have backed up data and setting etc., should anything go awry. So if thing go wrong, can you revert to the previous version?
Ok, the short answer from me is, ‘I don’t know.'

There are geeks who are far more knowledgeable than me about such things but I’m pretty good at taking things to bits and putting things back together again.😊 My guess is that before the new maps will function, the SW update will be required to allow the maps to work, the mapping being retained on the SD card though, rather than being installed into the infotainment unit.

My thinking about things that might go wrong is limited as I can’t see how it’s possible to cock things up if simple precautions are taken:

1) A good virus/malware protection programme is in place on the machine used to download the folders containing the files to be loaded on to an SD card.

2) Ensure the SD card is formatted correctly, FAT 32 in this case, easily achieved on a Mac - presumably just as easy on those computers running other operating systems.

3) Using ‘Disk Utility’ on a Mac or whatever equates to that on other operating systems, run first-aid to ensure that the downloaded files on an SD card are clean and useable. Once satisfied that all seems well, then remove the SD card from the infotainment unit and insert the new one. From there, the navigation menu needs to be opened and update selected. With ignition switched on, the invitation to proceed should be clicked and the rest is magic.:unsure:

As a certain motoring journalist frequently pontificated, ‘What can possibly go wrong?’ In my mind, either the new system will work fine or it won’t load on because the files are corrupted. I can’t imagine the files transferring at all unless everything is formatted correctly but perhaps one of those with better knowledge than me can expand on that and correct me if necessary.

It is worth bearing in mind that others have downloaded the same material and successfully installed the latest SW and maps so when that has been repeated by others, it is a good indication that there are no problems with it. That brings me back to your question and in particular, the part about ‘if things go wrong’. I have no idea but, as I stated previously, this is the third update I have performed using files downloaded from the web with no ill effects whatsoever and just by way of an aside, I have saved £75.00 by opting for DIY.

I suppose, in essence, what I am saying is, if one considers the risk of DIY too great, then use the official channel and have the work performed in a KIA dealership.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts