Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

New kid on the block here.

I acquired a kia magentis, most impressed with it but have a few bits to sort out, the arial has at sometime been broken off and I would like to replace it. Is it a bog standard or is it a motorised one, can anyone enlighten me please and are they easy to change oneself

Regards

George

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tthanks Sam

Not sorted yet, unsure whether its motorised or just a normal one, it was previously broken from the top two extensions, it still functions but would like to make it look better, Do you have any idea which sort this

regards

George

·
Registered
61 Posts
If the arial was motorised, you would hear it on turning on the ignition, so I doubt if it is.
If it is working fine, then I wouldn't bother too much, you cannot see it when you are driving, and it will be less likely to be ripped off in the car wash!
You know the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so go along with that, or take it off and have a look see.
Way back when I were a lad, it was quite common to see steel coat hangers sticking out of the wings of cars for arials, and no one batted an eyelid! They were just too handy for the kids to break off and use as swords, or whatever. That is why finally arials drifted onto the roof or the boot of cars. In any case, you will more than likely need a new arial shortly, these fit inside the car for when all analogue signals are removed from our domain, and we will need to get digital adapters for our radios. You will then be wanting to remove and fill up the arial hole when this time comes round, next year sometime, I believe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That brought back memories sam, you must be as old as me. I also had an old car but not all of us had a radio. they were the old valve type, Had to fit condensors on everything, good old days 2/6 a gallon, Bit differrent now mate.
I live in France so spares are difficult to come by here and cost an arm and a leg, I will get an ariel when I come home in Nov.Halfords are cheap enough. Otherwise the car is comfy and a pleasure to drive, Stay dry up in Ayrshire

regards

George

·
Registered
61 Posts
Half a crown for the petrol, two bob for 5 Bristol cigarettes on the day before payday, oh happy days right enough.

Hope you enjoy your holiday when you return to these shores, and as for staying dry in Ayrshire, no chance. Halford's are not a bad choice for your ariel, but it has now become quite an expensive outlet these days, not like it used to be. All the best George, keep young, keep happy.

Welcome John,

Like yourself I am enjoying being on here, good clean forum just the way I like it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Sam

Thamks for the mail. Yes certainly was good days I dont think we apreciated them .

Need a bit of assistance Sam, My magentis has a cover missing . it is where you normaly have spot lights bottom left and right of the bumper, Would you know where I can get one of these please. Have looked on EBAY, no joy French scrap yards an expensive place , any advice welcome

welcome John to the forum Hope your enjoying it

Regards

George

·
Registered
61 Posts
http://...breakerlink.../index.php?U=305756-390639
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/discountwarehouse_uk/m.html?

_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

http://...eurocarparts.../ecp/c/Kia_Rio_1.3_2004/p/Car-Parts/Engine-Parts/Belts-Chains-and-Tensioners/Tensioners-Idlers-and-Dampers

http://...onlineautomotive.co.uk/Members.aspx

Try the above links, you will surely get what you are looking for on one of these. Some of the links are for car scrappies, and they will phone you if they can find a part. They are linked with others, so you could well be lucky.

Hope you get fixed up ok,

All the best,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts